• Register Today It's free!

2nd gen Explorer 15" spare tire

ThreeJs

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas/Henderson NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer 4x4
Picked up an original 225/70R15 Temporary Use Firestone spare tire to replace my missing spare tire.
I have the factory 255/70R16 (approx. 30") tires on my 96 EB Explorer, V-6 4x4 Control Trac transfer case.

A lot of driving is on the freeway across empty desert.

I know the spare is shorter in diameter. Will a 30" tire fit up in the spare tire space or am I OK to use the temporary use one?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agreed, that's far too large a diameter difference, and if "an original" means it's around 20 years old, is it reliable enough to depend on driving across desert areas? I wouldn't.

Running a spare (even for a short distance) that is a different wheel diameter and 2 1/2" shorter in profile is not something I would want to do. Return that Firestone and get one that matches your other tires...if not exactly, as close as you can find. It will store underneath just fine.

Odd, XLTrunner's post was before mine, but has now changed in the sort order of the topic to be after mine.

Picked up an original 225/70R15 Temporary Use Firestone spare tire to replace my missing spare tire.
I have the factory 255/70R16 (approx. 30") tires on my 96 EB Explorer, V-6 4x4 Control Trac transfer case.

A lot of driving is on the freeway across empty desert.

I know the spare is shorter in diameter. Will a 30" tire fit up in the spare tire space or am I OK to use the temporary use one?

I would drill holes in that tire if its original. DO NOT DRIVE ON IT. It is way past its life. Especially in the heat. Especially considering the explorer. A new tire around that size is $60. Even a newer used one ...
A smaller tire could wear out a limited slip diff on the rear. Not sure if the 95-97s could fit a larger spare than what is stock.

A smaller tire could wear out a limited slip diff on the rear.

/\ THIS
Never have two different size (height) tires in rear....

I put a full size under my99 p255 75 r15 fit under the truck fine

First off...I got the spare but I didn't realize it was going to be a 15" rim. Apparently the 15" was the factory spare on the 96 Eddie Bauer.
I don't plan on using the original Firestone. It has many dry rot cracks even though it still has the factory nubs.

I've been reading a lot of differing opinions. Fits, won't fit, fits at an angle....Stock 16 fits fine..Only fits with the air let out. ???

My question is a under the truck fitment. I read that the 98-later spare tire area was reconfigured and is larger than the 95-97's.

Before getting a replacement tire. Since I already have the 15" factory spare rim.
I want to know if a 30 x 9.5 15 tire or a 255/75R15 will fit under a 96 without a trailer receiver hitch.

Take off one of your current wheels and see if it fits there. If it does, I'd get a 16" rim and same size tire as your others.

Wheel size doesn't matter, tire size does.

I am able to fit a 33" or a 285 by cutting off the section that turns down.

You can fit a 31" or a 265 underneath with no modifications at all. If in doubt, break out the saw.

I would just get a used wheel and a new tire in a matching size. Better to be safe than sorry. It could save your life, never know.

Back