2021 Explorer Timberline - "Offroad" Edition | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2021 Explorer Timberline - "Offroad" Edition

Silent But Deadly...

It is unbelievable that after all these years Explorers try to look like Range Rovers. But they are even faster then Ranger Rover Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I was putting my bike rack on my ST I noticed this and couldn't believe my eyes. Though Ford's explanation is plausible, I'd much rather deal with a little soot than have fake tips. As soon as a good aftermarket exhaust is available I'm buying it.

When I was putting my bike rack on my ST I noticed this and couldn't believe my eyes. Though Ford's explanation is plausible, I'd much rather deal with a little soot than have fake tips. As soon as a good aftermarket exhaust is available I'm buying it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

There is nothing fake about them. They just have exit holes cut from bottom rather from the back end. I do wonder how an aftermarket exhaust system would sound on ST. I would be willing to dish out 2 to 3 grand for one of those open / close shut off valves so you can drive normally and then with a press of a button, you can hear a beastly exhaust note. It could be expensive, but it could be much more affordable then other European cars.

so a chrome tip that no exhaust exits from because the exits are up stream of the tip is pretty much exactly the definition of a fake exhaust tip

If you look at one of the pictures linked in the initial post, you will see that the chrome tips do allow exhaust to exit. Just not in a conventional way.

Peter

The tips are just a facade, but the pipes leading to the tips have a real function. Come on Borla!

The tips are just a facade, but the pipes leading to the tips have a real function. Come on Borla!

Don't know how much the downward pipes impact the sound, but I see a big difference from the Sport to the ST, especially for only 35 more HP. I found the below on an Internet page about tuning exhaust systems.

"Down-turned tips, particularly those that force the exhaust underneath the car, can deepen the exhaust note by bouncing sound off the ground and using the undercarriage as a resonator. The ground will absorb much of the annoying high-frequency sound from smaller displacement or more restricted engines."

EXHAUST TIPS AND TONE
Whether exhaust tips alone can change the sound of a car depends largely on the other components used. Going from a 1.75-inch diameter tip and pipe to a 3-inch tip can make the exhaust note much deeper but still less so than simply buying a new flow through muffler (and low restiction cat).. There are a number of factors to take into consideration, such as intended effects, budget and additional modifications.
Factors
1. Though the main part of the exhaust note is determined by the silencers, resonators, catalytic converters and the pipe diameter, there are a few factors that affect sound at the tip. Tip size actually has very little to do with sound, unless you go to a notably larger or smaller diameter. Other component choices and how restrictive they are is key. Smaller diameter tips will additionally restrict the engine, slowing the exhaust stream and decreasing engine noise. A larger diameter tip will make the engine louder only if the original tip was a restriction.
Down-turned tips, particularly those that force the exhaust underneath the car, can deepen the exhaust note by bouncing sound off the ground and using the undercarriage as a resonator. The ground will absorb much of the annoying high-frequency sound from smaller displacement or more restricted engines.

I just found out my Aviator has the same exhaust tip setup.

Peter

Been discussed on here several times.

I'm perfectly fine with this even if it is a bit goofy. Looks nice and much easier to clean.

It looked sort of weird the other day when I got home from a drive and noticed some snow still in the tailpipe.:D

Peter

It looked sort of weird the other day when I got home from a drive and noticed some snow still in the tailpipe.:D

Peter

Stop backing up into snowbanks and plugging your tips.

If some kid stuffs a potato in your tailpipe on Halloween it will have no effect. Wonder where I heard about that...

They had the tips aimed on the ground for the base level 16-19 Explorers as well as the Police Interceptor Utility. I thought it was to reduce the chances of Carbon Monoxide getting sucked back into the cabin via the rear hatch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some people are trying to say there are degrees of fake, and that these are less fake than some other cars where the fake tips aren't even connected to the exhaust, or cars like the BMW i8, where there is actually a speaker inside one of the fake tips, pumping fake exhaust sound to the outside world.

I would argue that while this fakery is less egregious than some other examples, fake is fake, period. If there are good reasons for downturned pipes, then they should have just built it that way. Most of the vehicles I've ever owned had downturned pipes, and nobody thought twice about it.

Back