• Register Today It's free!

Tire Fault Sensor Warning Light

bigjoel

Reaction score
City, State
Houston tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 ford explorer xlt
I have a 2007 XLT. Just had all four tire sensors replaced at Discount Tire. They reprogramed the system. Still get that annoying tire sensor fault light on dash. Even had mechanic check entire TPMS system. Couldn't find anything wrong.
I've read that this is a common problem for these models. About ready to give up on it. Don't feel like spending any more money on it, at this point.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They shouldn't have had to reprogram anything just putting on new tires, unless they broke something and had to put a new sensor on. If it happend just after you got new tires, I would say discount tire messed something up. Did the mechanic check all four tire sensors and they are all working?

I have a 2007 XLT. Just had all four tire sensors replaced at Discount Tire. They reprogramed the system. Still get that annoying tire sensor fault light on dash. Even had mechanic check entire TPMS system. Couldn't find anything wrong.
I've read that this is a common problem for these models. About ready to give up on it. Don't feel like spending any more money on it, at this point.

They shouldn't have had to reprogram anything just putting on new tires, unless they broke something and had to put a new sensor on. If it happend just after you got new tires, I would say discount tire messed something up. Did the mechanic check all four tire sensors and they are all working?

Maybe (early this morning) I read the original post to fast or possibly is was edited, but I swear from dacaur2s' response it was mentioned that new tires was put on the vehicle and also all new tire sensors was replaced after that.

Regardless of that I had a similiar issue with the "fault light on the dash" (low tire pressure warning) and it was driving me nuts. Turns out that I needed a rim (mine was bent but still held air pressure), replaced it with a salvaged one (came with good sensor) and thought I could throw the original wheel in the back to use as a spare never thinking it would interfere with the system. Yes, the fifth sensor was triggering the warning. Maybe you have another sensor somewhere in the vehicle you forgot about?

Just wanted throw this out there.

I had the TPMS sensors replaced, in all four tires. The warning light still comes on.

Well, it was back to Discount Tire again. Today they removed the original band sensors. They said it could of been causing the interferance that is causing the fault code light. The new universal tire sensors are mounted on the valve stem. Also one of the tire sensors that they replaced was cracked, so they replaced it. They reprogramed all the sensors again.

Well, it was back to Discount Tire again. Today they removed the original band sensors. They said it could of been causing the interferance that is causing the fault code light. The new universal tire sensors are mounted on the valve stem. Also one of the tire sensors that they replaced was cracked, so they replaced it. They reprogramed all the sensors again.
So - they put new sensors on but didn't remove the OEM ones?

All I can say is - WOW - really?

I hope they didn't charge you for removing the old ones.

No, they didn't charge me for removing the original band sensors.They warranty their work. If you are familiar with Discount Tire, they have mostly young guys working there. They do everything in a hurry. I stood at the bay and watched them, to make sure they did everything. It's actually a good place to buy tires. There service is good. Free flat repairs, tire rotations.

Well, the stupid tire fault sensor light is still coming on. I'm done with it. I'm not going to spend any more money on this stupid, defective, TPMS system. It's probably the module, but I'm not going to spend the money shotgunning parts, hoping that will fix it. This is a known problem on Ford models. I lived most of my life without this crappy system. It should have an option to turn it off. It's worthless, since it gives false warnings.

Either that or Discount Tire installed incompatible wheel sensors! I had a new aftermarket set (the valve-mount kind) at Costco. I bought them on Amazon (to make sure they were compatible) and took them in with me. These were for winter rims/tires (snow). I also bought (<$30) the Ford tool (grey with a green button) that makes re-programming the TPMS sensors a cinch. So twice a year I swap over the tires and re-programming takes me 10 minutes tops.

I also have a '02 without TPMS and have to admit that I don't miss it on that truck. I think the system is mostly useful for people too laze or ignorant to pay attention to their tire pressures (you know, the ones that blissfully drive around without a tire air gauge in their truck).

FWIW - in our Mountaineer the TPMS warning would sometimes come on about an hour after starting the truck. We had one of those plug-in Bluetooth adapters and when we got rid of that, the TPMS issue went away.

Also FWIW we've had a few occasions that the warning came on shortly after startup and each time there was a nail in a tire. So when it's not giving false errors it's a good thing to have. (Also good to have a tire shop 2 blocks away that only charges $10 to patch a tire from the inside!)

Well, the stupid tire fault sensor light is still coming on. I'm done with it. I'm not going to spend any more money on this stupid, defective, TPMS system. It's probably the module, but I'm not going to spend the money shotgunning parts, hoping that will fix it. This is a known problem on Ford models. I lived most of my life without this crappy system. It should have an option to turn it off. It's worthless, since it gives false warnings.
If you have Forscan, you can reprogram the GEM module and disable it, or you can reprogram the instrument cluster module to at least not show it on the dash.

Back