Daughter's 02 Mountaineer P0745 Code | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Daughter's 02 Mountaineer P0745 Code

Freudianfloyd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mountaineer AWD 4.6
I apologize for the very long read.....

I am sure I will get flamed for this, being as that I didn't follow the correct procedure for checking and refilling the transmission in my daughter's car but here is the story....

Her Mountaineer has a loud metallic rattle noise, which I originally thought was a rod knocking. I take the car to my dad's and put it on his lift, and with it running, it sounds more like it is coming from the torque converter. It actually sounds like what every description of torque converter rattle I have read, so I am assuming that is the what the noise is.

Anyway, while inspecting other things under her car, I notice the trans cooling line is leaking, and judging by the amount of fluid all over the underside of her car, it looks like it has leaked out quite a bit.

My dad, being the old hot rod guy and worrying about her transmission being low on fluid, and thinking that may be what was causing the noise, suggests we add a few quarts of tranny fluid to it.

We knew the proper way to do it was to remove the T30 plug from the drainplug, use a special adapter and fill the transmission that way, the problem was, the T30 plug was stripped.

So after a little google-fu, I was able to find the fill plug on the side of the transmission. Obviously we don't have a dipstick, and can't get the plug out to tell us when the fluid is full, so we guess on how much to add. My dad said "I would put atleast two quarts in it". I now know that was a huge mistake.

I dropped it back down, pulled it out of the garage, felt good about the fix and told her to come pick it up. She drove it home without issue. The next day, she called me and said it is shifting funny, and the check engine light, transmission light, and o/d light are flashing.

I figured since the only thing we did was add fluid, it must be overfilled and draining it to the correct level would fix the problem, so I went to Ford and bought a new drainplug.

I installed the new drainplug and removed the T30 plug from the center to let it drain to the correct level. The car was driven there, so it was sufficiently warm, and fairly level sitting on the lift.

By the time the plug stopped running out, I would bet 4 or 5 quarts of fluid came out, but it was clean. I added less than 2. I closed the plug and dropped the car back down and took it for a test drive. It started acting funny from the beginning, it slipped, and it wouldn't shift into second, unless you let it rev until almost the point of shifting, and then let off the gas, and waited, then it would shift and drive like normal after that until you came to a complete stop again. Sometimes though it would hit second gear really hard and chirp the tires.

I checked the engine code and received the P0745 Pressure Control Solenoid A malfunction.

So my questions are the following:

1. Did I screw this up by adding fluid, or was it a coincidence?
2. Is it possible that the error was from too much fluid, and the computer will eventually relearn its proper pressure settings and the problem will fix itself?
3. Can just that solenoid be replaced, or will the entire block need replaced? Any clue which 5r55 transmission I have?
4. Could it be a broken band instead?

Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be a 5r55 w/s. The least expensive fix could be and new solenoid block and pull the valve body down and check all the valves out for a blockage..

I don't think the extra fluid caused this problem, overfilled transmission tend to work fine they just may leak from the vent or filler tube.

I would start with the solenoid block like he said, the relearn process will not take care of a code.

If there is debris in the pan that would indicate a internal failure of some kind.

I am sure I will get flamed for this, being as that I didn't follow the correct procedure for checking and refilling the transmission in my daughter's car but here is the story....

Her Mountaineer has a loud metallic rattle noise, which I originally thought was a rod knocking. I take the car to my dad's and put it on his lift, and with it running, it sounds more like it is coming from the torque converter. It actually sounds like what every description of torque converter rattle I have read, so I am assuming that is the what the noise is.

Anyway, while inspecting other things under her car, I notice the trans cooling line is leaking, and judging by the amount of fluid all over the underside of her car, it looks like it has leaked out quite a bit.

My dad, being the old hot rod guy and worrying about her transmission being low on fluid, and thinking that may be what was causing the noise, suggests we add a few quarts of tranny fluid to it.

We knew the proper way to do it was to remove the T30 plug from the drainplug, use a special adapter and fill the transmission that way, the problem was, the T30 plug was stripped.

So after a little google-fu, I was able to find the fill plug on the side of the transmission. Obviously we don't have a dipstick, and can't get the plug out to tell us when the fluid is full, so we guess on how much to add. My dad said "I would put atleast two quarts in it". I now know that was a huge mistake.

I dropped it back down, pulled it out of the garage, felt good about the fix and told her to come pick it up. She drove it home without issue. The next day, she called me and said it is shifting funny, and the check engine light, transmission light, and o/d light are flashing.

I figured since the only thing we did was add fluid, it must be overfilled and draining it to the correct level would fix the problem, so I went to Ford and bought a new drainplug.

I installed the new drainplug and removed the T30 plug from the center to let it drain to the correct level. The car was driven there, so it was sufficiently warm, and fairly level sitting on the lift.

By the time the plug stopped running out, I would bet 4 or 5 quarts of fluid came out, but it was clean. I added less than 2. I closed the plug and dropped the car back down and took it for a test drive. It started acting funny from the beginning, it slipped, and it wouldn't shift into second, unless you let it rev until almost the point of shifting, and then let off the gas, and waited, then it would shift and drive like normal after that until you came to a complete stop again. Sometimes though it would hit second gear really hard and chirp the tires.

I checked the engine code and received the P0745 Pressure Control Solenoid A malfunction.

2. Is it possible that the error was from too much fluid, and the computer will eventually relearn its proper pressure settings and the problem will fix itself?
3. Can just that solenoid be replaced, or will the entire block need replaced? Any clue which 5r55 transmission I have?

Thank you
Hey mate this mite help

3C23814A-6E5A-44E6-B5A1-A792A0EFC084.png

Thank you

Back