• Register Today It's free!

SR55S Trans

Hirini

Reaction score
City, State
Nz
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer xlt
Hi I got a 2001 explorer xlt 4.0 sohc just wondering with the trans having no dipstick do you check the level with it running like you usually do but with it being at the bottom of the pan do you still do this or can you do it with it off

A51B707B-4306-4A0A-AC01-D3EE60640275.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can look up the specs of your vehicle on FordEtis home page with the Vin number. There should be a dipstick in the back of the engine bay on the passanger side

Yea
You can look up the specs of your vehicle on FordEtis home page with the Vin number. There should be a dipstick in the back of the engine bay on the passanger side
yea I know I’ve been under it as well there’s diffently no dipstick

Yea

yea I know I’ve been under it as well there’s diffently no dipstick
Just went on that ford etis comes up a 2002

Unfortunatly I don't know much about the 3rd gen explorer. You should try asking in that section of the forum!

Unfortunatly I don't know much about the 3rd gen explorer. You should try asking in that section of the forum!
They must of registered it in NZ in 2001 thanks for your help

You have to check it running and warmed up.

5R55S is a 3rd Gen trans. All the second Gen's had trans dipsticks. Try asking in the 3rd Gen forum.

In general for transmissions w/out dipsticks if you don't see evidence of any transmission leaks the fluid level is fine. The non-dipstick transmissions I have seen have a drain plug and a fill plug. On some you pump fluid in until it starts to spill out of the fill port. Some require a special tool/fitting to pump the fluid in.

BTW - The 2002 5r55S transmissions were extremely problem prone with a very high failure rate.

Back