Time for tires | Page 31 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think it's wise to think of tire life more like a new car warranty - there's not just a mileage limit, there's an expiration date. The compounds break down over time, after 5-6 years you might be ok and you might not. If you don't drive a lot of miles every year it's really not worth paying extra for a tire that claims a long tread warranty.
How Old - and Dangerous - Are Your Tires? | Edmunds

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That may apply to my Winter Bridgestones. Bought them in Oct. 2014 and they have been used on my 2014 MK and my current 2017. They have accumulated 10,613 km or 6600 miles and will be going on again at the end of Oct. Never wear out the OEM tires during my leases.:)

Peter

I'd like some input from anyone in the northeast that may possibly have a FWD Explorer (mine's a 2013 XLT). I need tires, and was looking at the BFG Advantage T/A Sport from reading the thread here, but most if not all are 4WD Explorers. This is my only vehicle right now and need an aggressive tire (snow tires are not an option unfortunately, don't have any where to store them).
I was also considering Mastercraft Courser. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Have 2013 Explorer Limited with 2L ECOBoost and got best MPG's with OEM tires and they worked fine. Put Ecopia BridgeStones on thinking they would improve MPG's, they didn't and cost more.

Paul

I'd like some input from anyone in the northeast that may possibly have a FWD Explorer (mine's a 2013 XLT). I need tires, and was looking at the BFG Advantage T/A Sport from reading the thread here, but most if not all are 4WD Explorers. This is my only vehicle right now and need an aggressive tire (snow tires are not an option unfortunately, don't have any where to store them).
I was also considering Mastercraft Courser. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
My dealer stores my Winter and OEM tires for $40. Many dealers here will store them. Since the front and rear tires should be the same, I don't think it matters which tires you get. Remember, the 5th gen Explorer is front wheel drive biased. The tire you mentioned seems to have a very good overall rating.

Peter

Have 2013 Explorer Limited with 2L ECOBoost and got best MPG's with OEM tires and they worked fine. Put Ecopia BridgeStones on thinking they would improve MPG's, they didn't and cost more.

Paul
The member is looking for a more aggressive tire for Winter driving. The OEM, unfortunately, is not that tire.

Peter

Just got 60K out of BRIDGESTONE DUELER H/L ALENZA PLUS XL (sorry for all caps, copied from my Tire Rack order).

I just ordered another set in advance of Winter. I have a 4WD Explorer but these tires have worked great for us regardless of weather conditions.

You may want to explore an "all weather" tire as they are a combination all season/winter tire suitable for year round use. No need to have multiple sets of tires for summer and winter use. Many perform as well as, or even better than, some dedicated snow tires.

Hey guys it’s time for new tires on my 17 explorer sport. Was wondering what’s the best all season tire. I really liked the Hankook that came on it they just don’t last very long. The Hankooks are a ultra high performance tire has anybody switched to a touring tire? Did you have any noticeable loss in performance? I’ve been looking into toyo open county qt’s anybody have experience with them?

Welcome to the Forum Josh.:wave:
Your thread was merged with this one found using the Forum's 'Search' function.
You are one of the very few that likes the Hankooks. Many have had issues with them. Treadwear Issue with Ventus S1 Noble 2 Hankooks These are actually a passenger car tire according to their website.

Peter

Yes they definitely have tread wear issues but other than that they were pretty smooth and didn’t make a lot of road noice. I’m looking for something that’s going to last longer while maintaining a quiet ride and handle nice

I live in the north east and after many hankook as i am at 165k i tried these

Kumho CRUGEN KL33 Touring Radial Tire -255/50R20 109V
from amazon shipped to sears auto center and installed. its been a year and like these tires. they look aggressive but quiet on highway, similar mileage, good in snow and mud. i think i paid 550 for 4 tires and install was like 17 bucks per tire and i brought a balance so total was around 650. which i think is a deal for a 20inch rim.

I live in south Georgia so I have no need for winter tires. My 11 limited has almost 50k on the clock and I am in need to replace the Optimos soon. My questions is, what everyday mall crawler/long trip tires do you guys recommended? The OEM replacement hankook Optimo (spelling?) Tires seem to rum around $170ish on tire rack the Bridge stone Dueler Alenza are around $200 the pirelli scorpion around $240 and Michelin latitude around $300. are the Michelin tires really that much better? what have you guys used in what seems to ride well?

I got rid of the crap hankooks immediately upon delivery of my ne16 sport and replaced with Michelin premier LTX. v-rated- Fantastic performance, excellent on ice, poor in snow, completely worn at 50000 miles. Replaced with Cooper Discoverer SRX. H-rated fabulous, quieter than the Michelin, smooth, great snow and ice tire, great wet traction. Got 65000 out of these. Just replaced with Cooper’s new Discoverer AT3 4s. H-rated at 4,000 miles. They heat up quickly, “stick like glue” in the dry and I can attest to phenomenal wet grip...exceptional in a foot of snow. Superb on ice and just as quiet as the SRX. Really good looking (almost AT) tread pattern! Highly recommend! For the record, I’ve run Michelin LTX’s for 20 years on my trucks and my father’s ‘16 platinum (which I drive him around regularly in) has the Michelin defender’s fitted. They don’t hold a candle to either Cooper (SRX and AT3 4s). Get the Coopers!!
I live in south Georgia so I have no need for winter tires. My 11 limited has almost 50k on the clock and I am in need to replace the Optimos soon. My questions is, what everyday mall crawler/long trip tires do you guys recommended? The OEM replacement hankook Optimo (spelling?) Tires seem to rum around $170ish on tire rack the Bridge stone Dueler Alenza are around $200 the pirelli scorpion around $240 and Michelin latitude around $300. are the Michelin tires really that much better? what have you guys used in what seems to ride well?[/

I have a ‘16 sport! First of all I’m a long time Michelin guy. I’ve been running ltx’s on my trucks for years, “roads” and pilots on my super bikes and pilots on my cars...

The stock hankooks were TOAST at 15000-they’re simply junk...shame on you Ford!!! Replaced with the v-rated premier LTX, got 50000 out of them and done. Good silica compound so exceptional on ice...but not snow...limited tread depth...like 8/32nd so they do hydroplane. They suck in heavy snow. They love summer/heat. They are SLOW to warm up!
Replaced with H-rated COOPER DISCOVERER SRX. Got 65000 solid miles out of these. Excellent wet, very good on snow, good, not great on ice, quieter than the Michelin premier, softer ride. Great overall tire!
Just replaced with COOPER’s NEW Discoverer AT3 4s. 4000 miles so far. Exceptional in a foot of snow, superb wet traction, outstanding on ice, heats up quickly. Hard to believe but just as quiet as the SRX. I will be replacing all my trucks LTX’s as needed. They’re THAT GOOD!
Now, my dads 16 platinum has defenders...they don’t hold a candle to either cooper. He’s elderly and I’ve driven 20000 miles thus far on his defenders. Will replace with the SRX most likely as he lives further south, thus less snow than me up here on Michigan’s western shore...but he thinks my new 4s’ look cool. Yes, I’m a Road warrior! I’m also 55 years old with over 3 million miles in cars/trucks and over one million miles riding/racing superbikes!

I got rid of the crap hankooks immediately upon delivery of my ne16 sport and replaced with Michelin premier LTX. v-rated- Fantastic performance, excellent on ice, poor in snow, completely worn at 50000 miles. Replaced with Cooper Discoverer SRX. H-rated fabulous, quieter than the Michelin, smooth, great snow and ice tire, great wet traction. Got 65000 out of these. Just replaced with Cooper’s new Discoverer AT3 4s. H-rated at 4,000 miles. They heat up quickly, “stick like glue” in the dry and I can attest to phenomenal wet grip...exceptional in a foot of snow. Superb on ice and just as quiet as the SRX. Really good looking (almost AT) tread pattern! Highly recommend! For the record, I’ve run Michelin LTX’s for 20 years on my trucks and my father’s ‘16 platinum (which I drive him around regularly in) has the Michelin defender’s fitted. They don’t hold a candle to either Cooper (SRX and AT3 4s). Get the Coopers!!

What size did you go with 265 50 20? or i see they make a 275 55 20.

Although not advertised as such, the Cooper On/Off Road All Terrain AT3 4S appears to be an 'All Weather' tire.

Peter

Yes they definitely have tread wear issues but other than that they were pretty smooth and didn’t make a lot of road noice. I’m looking for something that’s going to last longer while maintaining a quiet ride and handle nice
I just made an appointment to change the tires on my '17 Sport with Michlelin Defenders. I got 55,000 out of the originals but they needed to be changed 10,000 miles ago. I hear I'm one of the lucky ones to get that many miles from them.

Anyone have good results with the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S?
Thinking of either getting these, or the Premier's.

My stock Hankook Optimos are just about done after 41,000 miles.

Does 275/55/20 fit? Anyone have this size on now? Photos?

I was going to go with 265/50/20, but would like to hear more on this size, too.

Thanks!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does 275/55/20 fit? Anyone have this size on now? Photos?

I was going to go with 265/50/20, but would like to hear more on this size, too.

Thanks!
Shumax
When upsizing, the generally accepted rule of thumb is that the new size should not exceed the nominal OEM diameter by more than 3%.
275/55R20 exceeds OEM by 6%. The 265/50R20 is 1%. Keep in mind that tires of the same brand may themselves be slightly different.
This is but one of the several sites that you can use for your info. Tire size calculator: compare tires online Keep in mind that larger wheel/tire combos will put extra strain on brake and suspension systems as well may affect Traction Control and ABS electronic systems.
Here is what Tire Rack has to say about "plus sizing"; https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=97

Peter

Back