Cro EXPO slight mod/rebuild with a steep learning curve | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cro EXPO slight mod/rebuild with a steep learning curve

Yep easy part was over before the grinding part of the story :(
Started with the drivetrain and got stuck on the front diff. One little snap clip.... I saw a few stupid technological solutions in my life but this hits the record (few swear words). Anyway had to stop for the day and calm myself. Have no idea how to proceed without damaging anything. Clip is thicker then the fPEEPng gap.
IMG_20190925_200939.jpg
IMG_20190926_204143.jpg

PS i find bits of info here and there and try to torque things back as specified

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At the right picture, if there only would be way to zoom out :)

Not sure how similar Dana 35 IFS is to Ford 8.8, but is there 8mm bolt holding the differential pin in place?

differential_pin_e.jpg

Edit might look something like this.

Hm.. .I don't have a problem with that. Recap: passanger side axle is out, cvs are out, bearing mould is out, that clip pin thingy of cross pin is out,ring is unscrewed... . I can't take the cross pin out because it hits the splines of the ring. Ring is crossing the middle of the pin. I would be done in 2 mins if it was like all other diffs.
IMG_20190926_204104.jpg

rear 2.PNG
rear 1.PNG
rear 3.PNG
rear 5.PNG
rear 2.PNG
rear 1.PNG

1. Rear differential Remove lock bolt. Replace lock bolt after removal. If new bolt is not available, thoroughly clean threads of used bolt and coat with Threadlock and Sealer E0AZ-19554-A or equivalent meeting Ford specification WSK-M2G315-A5 before installation.

rear 3.PNG
  1. NOTE: Use care not to lose or damage the rubber O-ring which is in the axle shaft groove under the U-washer.

Push the axle shafts (4234) inboard and remove the U-washer from the button end of each axle shaft.

rear 5.PNG
  1. CAUTION: Remove axle shafts completely from axle housing. Do not allow axle shaft to rest on axle housing seal or seal damage will occur.

Remove the axle shaft from the axle housing, being careful not to damage the inner wheel bearing oil seal (1177
  2. I understand your axle is different..a little.. but the instructions are the same according to my manual
rear 6.PNG

I wish i had this diff. I'll brake the thing today and post pics. There is no locking bolt, bore is not threaded, i had to ram the pin out. There is no u-washer, there is a snap clip which is thicker than the gap.
Diff cover
IMG_20190926_174106.jpg

Thank you for your replays anyway. Much appreciated

Just curious why are you trying to break down the front carrier?

front1.PNG

front2.PNG

front3.PNG

1. Remove the axle shaft using a jerking motion
front4.PNG

1. Remove the axle shaft using a jerking motion
front5.PNG

1. Using the special tool and a suitable impact slide hammer, remove the axle shaft oil seal.
front6.PNG

1. Using the special tool and a suitable impact slide hammer, remove the axle shaft bearing.

front7.PNG

1. Using the special tool and a suitable impact slide hammer, remove the axle shaft oil seal
front8.PNG

1. Using the special tool and a suitable impact slide hammer, remove the axle tube bearing
front9.PNG

1. CAUTION: The matched numbers or letters stamped on both of the differential bearing caps and the differential housing must correspond during assembly.

Remove the differential bearing caps.
    1. Remove the bolts.
    1. Remove the differential bearing caps.
front10.PNG

1. CAUTION: The Housing Spreader Adapter bolts have a minimum thread engagement as specified.

Install the special tool.
front11.PNG

1. Install the special tools.
    • Position the Clutch Housing Alignment Adapter needle in the Housing Spreader Adapter hole.
front12.PNG

1. CAUTION: Over spreading can damage the differential housing.

Spread the differential housing to the specification.
    1. Adjust the special tool to zero.
    1. Tighten the Differential Carrier Spreader screw to spread the differential housing to the specification.
    1. Remove the Dial Indicator with Bracketry and the Clutch Housing Alignment Adapter.
front13.PNG

1. Measure the pinion bearing preload.
    • Using a Nm (pound-inch) torque wrench, measure the torque required to maintain pinion rotation. Record the measurement.
front14.PNG

1. Index-mark the pinion flange and the pinion stem.
front15.PNG

1. Use the special tool to hold the flange while removing the nut

[

front16.PNG

1. Using the special tool, remove the pinion flange.
    1. WARNING: The gear teeth have sharp edges. Handle the gear with care to avoid personal injury.
    1. CAUTION: Never use a metal hammer on the pinion. Use a soft mallet to drive the pinion out of the differential housing.
    1. Using a soft-face hammer, remove the pinion from the differential housing.
      1. Hold the pinion inside the differential housing.
      1. Use a soft-face hammer to remove the pinion from the differential housing.

front17.PNG

1. Using the special tool and a suitable impact slide hammer, remove the pinion seal.

front18.PNG

1. Remove the front axle drive pinion shaft oil slinger and the differential pinion bearing.
front19.PNG

front20.PNG

1. Remove the outer differential drive pinion bearing cup by tapping alternately on each side of the cup to prevent it from ****ing in the bore.
front21.PNG

1. Remove the inner differential drive pinion bearing cup by tapping alternately on each side of the cup to prevent it from ****ing in the bore.
front22.PNG

1. Using the special tool and a suitable press, remove the differential pinion bearing.
front23.PNG

1. Remove the pinion position shim from the differential pinion gear. Measure the pinion position shim thickness with a micrometer. Record the measurement.
front24.PNG

front25.PNG
front26.PNG

case1.PNG

1. Remove the differential ring gear.
    1. Remove and discard the bolts.
    1. Using a drift that will bottom out in the bolt holes, separate the differential ring gear from the differential case.
case2.PNG

case3.PNG

1. Drive out the differential pinion shaft roll pin.
    1. Remove the differential pinion shaft.
case4.PNG

1. CAUTION: The upper differential side gear may fall out of the case bore after removing the differential pinion gears.

Rotate the differential pinion gears to the differential case window and remove them and the differential pinion thrust washers.
case5.PNG

1. Remove the differential side gears and the differential side gear thrust washers
case6.PNG

1. Assemble the special tool.
case7.PNG

1. Position the special tool on the differential bearing
case8.PNG

1. Using the special tool, remove the differential bearing.
    • Repeat the procedure for the other bearing.
case9.PNG

1. Lubricate the differential side gear thrust washers and the differential side gears, and assemble them.
    • Use Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Thermally Stable 4x4 Axle Lubricant meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.
case11.PNG

1. Lubricate the differential pinion thrust washers and the differential pinion gears, and assemble them.
    • Use Motorcraft SAE 80W90 Thermally Stable 4x4 Axle Lubricant meeting Ford specification WSP-M2C197-A.
case12.PNG

1. Engage the differential pinion gears between the differential side gears
case14.PNG

1. Rotate the differential pinion gears and align them with the differential pinion shaft bore.
case15.PNG

1. Insert the differential pinion shaft.
    case16.PNG
    1. Install the differential pinion shaft roll pin.
    case17.PNG
  2. hope this helps you

Thank you for this. I got that part but this...
IMG_20190927_163236.jpg
Cross pin doesn't have room to go out, I need maybe 1mm or even less more for the axle to clear that snap clip from first photo.

front.PNG
Remove the axles then pop out the case as an assembly may take some force I use two pieces of wood
remove ring gear then the cross pin will fall out

If you can't pop it out from other side, do you have access to the ring gear bolts, seems like wrong way to do it though...

If you can't pop it out from other side, do you have access to the ring gear bolts, seems like wrong way to do it though...
yea that is why i correct myself
sorry bout that the manual gives you more info on assembly than disassembly but all the info is there to disassemble it

Ring gear bolts are off. Ring gear can move maybe 5mm then blocks the whole thing.
Cross pin has some machined parts. But however i turn it and positione it it diesn't have any effect. I need 1mm

Why are you trying to remove the spider gears with the carrier still in the housing, if your doing a gear swap?

Remove the C clip, and push the intermediate axle out of the carrier.

Remove the carrier, put it on a work bench. Once the ring gear is off, and you remove the cross pin by removing the roll pin, the spider gears will fall out with a simple turn.

Mark your bearing caps so they go back on exactly how they came off!!! Extremely important that you do this!!

Use the search feature here for posts showing what others have done. I know I have posted information with pictures, on both the 1st gen & the 2nd gen front carrier assemblies. ;)

IMG_20190927_183127.jpg

Thank you. Did it. Took me ages.
IMG_20190927_183118.jpg

I couldn't do it any other way, i am a total newbie. Didn't know better.

Are you planning to add lunchbox, etc. to front or keep it open diff?

Hooray you did it!
well done

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is definitely a thread I'll be watching. Great work so far.

Back