Rear Climate Control Cuts Out...Ford Unable To Diagnose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Climate Control Cuts Out...Ford Unable To Diagnose

frstexplorer16

Reaction score
City, State
Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Hello,
I’m new here but have searched on this forum frequently. I have a 2016 Explorer XLT (stock no modifications) and the rear climate cuts out intermittently. It seems to do it most during the summer when it’s hot (80-100 degrees outside). I have had this issue since purchasing the car new in August 2015. I have had it into the dealership (multiple dealerships rather) several times. The most common report from the dealership is “we were unable to duplicate the problem.” I took it into the dealership summer 2018 and they were able to duplicate the problem BUT said they didn’t have a fix and to bring the vehicle back in when the problem worsens. This year the problem has been very persistent and I’ve had it in the dealership twice. Despite it being super persistent when we’re driving around, the dealer claims they were not able to duplicate the problem. My warranty expired August 2018 but I have the Ford Protect PremiumCare warranty and 44,000 miles on the vehicle. It’s ridiculous that I’m having this issue (among other issues that existed from the time we drove the car off the lot, which Ford fixed). I have talked with Ford (corporate) and they’re considering a buyback. My question is, has anybody else had problems with their rear air cutting out? Like the fan stops blowing for a few seconds then turns back on, only to turn off again a minute later. My next question would be, has anyone done a buyback and would it be a good idea to let them buy it back and get a new car?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have not heard of this. And they are considering a buyback? If so, good for you but ai doubt they would ever. They have no obligation to do a buy back through ESP coverage.

Have not heard of this. And they are considering a buyback? If so, good for you but ai doubt they would ever. They have no obligation to do a buy back through ESP coverage.

Ford has told me they’d like to look into buying the vehicle back. It’s at the dealership right now as they needed a diagnosis within the last 30 days. I’m expecting a call from the regional manager tomorrow. We first noticed the air issue during the first week of owning the vehicle and I tried very hard to get Ford to do something about it during the limited warranty but they didn’t or couldn’t. I have only now been recommended to contact corporate, which I did last week.

If the fan runs intermittantly it sounds like an issue where the power is cutting out. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to trace the power route from beginning to end. What, if anything, did they replace? There are members here how had gone through the buyback procedure. One thing they do is deduct $$ for accumulated mileage. I don't recall reading about many buybacks on a technically 4 year old vehicle. Not sure if you'd be better off on a trade-in.:dunno:

Peter

If the fan runs intermittantly it sounds like an issue where the power is cutting out. I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to trace the power route from beginning to end. What, if anything, did they replace? There are members here how had gone through the buyback procedure. One thing they do is deduct $$ for accumulated mileage. I don't recall reading about many buybacks on a technically 4 year old vehicle. Not sure if you'd be better off on a trade-in.:dunno:

Peter

They haven’t replaced anything or done any work on it. One dealership acknowledged the issue but said they didn’t have a fix and to wait for it to get worse. They have had the worst answers and service ever. My first and probably last Ford at this point. I shouldn’t have had problems with the car the day we drove it off the lot and 4 years later they still haven’t fixed it. They should have taken it back 4 years ago, and little did I know that that was even an option.

You should be able to get some kind of refund on the ESP if you get rid of the vehicle.

Peter

My father had and 88 Lincoln Continental and it ran fine until we got a letter for an emissions related recall for the state of California. Recall was done but vehicle never ran the same and kept on dying when we let up on the accelerator. Local Ford dealership worked on it multiple times. Finally, I asked for buyback and it was approved byfter regional looked at vehicle. The mileage charge was a small amount since my father was retired and didnt drive alot. But the depreciation was big. The amount of money he got back minus mileage usage was alot compared to the book value. I say wait for the letter to see how much Ford buyback vehicle for. In our situation he had choice to take the money and buy anything he wanted or use the amount towards purchase of new Lincoln or Ford. He did the latter.

Back