Corroded Battery Terminal / Cable | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just had positive battery harness replaced for corrosion on my '16. They also replaced the battery. Both were covered by 3yr/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello Guys,
I have ford explorer 2015 sport 3.5L.
I went to replace the new battery last night and mechanic told me i need to replace +ve terminal as it is corroded.
I have asked FORD dealer and they told me it will cost me $346+taxes.
Is der any other cheaper way to get this terminal and change it.
Thanks

Hello Guys,
I have ford explorer 2015 sport 3.5L.
I went to replace the new battery last night and mechanic told me i need to replace +ve terminal as it is corroded.
I have asked FORD dealer and they told me it will cost me $346+taxes.
Is der any other cheaper way to get this terminal and change it.
Thanks
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Since the positive terminal is part of the battery, I'm guessing you meant to say the positive battery cable/connector. Apparently the connector can be replaced without having to replace the entire cable which I believe he is talking about ($346+tax).
I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter

Since the positive terminal is part of the battery, I'm guessing you meant to say the positive battery cable/connector. Apparently the connector can be replaced without having to replace the entire cable which I believe he is talking about ($346+tax).
I have merged your thread with this existing one.

Peter
Can you help me to find that connector only for 2015 Ford Explorer Sport

Can you help me to find that connector only for 2015 Ford Explorer Sport
It occurred to me that there was a change for the 2016+ Explorers that just have the clamp. I believe this is what you are looking for;Circuit Breaker - Ford (DA8Z-14526-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La
There is also the entire cable if you want to go thar route; Battery Cable - Ford (DB5Z-14300-D) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La
You can see the part shown in the first link in the second link as well with the cable assembly. I'm not sure how the 'circuit' breaker is attached to the cable. On the 2016+ the clamp seems to be crimped and soldered.
Have a look at posts 54 and 62. That member also has a 2015.

Peter

It occurred to me that there was a change for the 2016+ Explorers that just have the clamp. I believe this is what you are looking for;Circuit Breaker - Ford (DA8Z-14526-A) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La
There is also the entire cable if you want to go thar route; Battery Cable - Ford (DB5Z-14300-D) | Auto Nation Ford White Bear La
You can see the part shown in the first link in the second link as well with the cable assembly. I'm not sure how the 'circuit' breaker is attached to the cable. On the 2016+ the clamp seems to be crimped and soldered.
Have a look at posts 54 and 62. That member also has a 2015.

Peter

Just now checked with Canadian Tire, They have this part available $62 plus Installation, so total will be $142,
I bought a new battery from Costco, Kirkland CCA850. All together $342 exactly what dealer is asking just for the part.

I caught mine during routine maint. and was able to clean it up, was a couple years ago now.

I got hit by this last weekend. Noticed it was turning over slower when starting. Lifted up the positive terminal cover and found this. 15 months old and 16k miles. I change my own oil and am under the hood occasionally looking around. But i wouldn't think you had to lift the cover to inspect the positive terminal in a fairly new car. The next morning it was dead. Tried to remove the clamp to clean it but couldn't budge it and the terminal itself seemed pretty loose. Jumped it and drove it to the dealer who took care of it immediately. Warned my coworker who has a similar Ex and she said 'oh yeah that happened to me a few months after I bought it (new).' :dunno:

Battery.jpg

Just wondering what "took care of it" actually entailed? Did he replace it or just clean it?

Peter

Just purchased this 2017 explorer sport last month. Love the car . The vehicle however cut battery off 100% one day and when i opened the hood i found corrosion the the positive battery cables, also thought that the cables looked out of place for some reason so i was wondering if this looks like normal wiring to you guys . It looks like the cable is split from a main connection to maybe a fuse box and then the battery . Here is the pic

F3A31D43-35AD-4DA2-8419-B6FA697AF985.jpeg

E62FA3D7-6359-4740-9C22-D9F0B81D3DCC.jpeg

When the cable split to the battery terminal the cable seems extra long as well. I purchased the car used so i dont know if the car came from the factory like this or it is something the previous owner did.

That doesn't appear to be the original battery. There shouldn't be any cables crossing over the battery either. Here are pictures of the one in my 2017 Platinum. Does yours still have the blanket around it?

Peter

Battery.jpg

battery2.jpg

Thankyou for your reply, can you repost the pic i dont see it. Yea i thought it was steange as well.

Check again. I posted before attaching pics.

Yours seems to have a completely different + connector. This what it should look like.

Terminal.JPG

Yours seems to have a completely different + connector. This what it should look like.

View attachment 172972

Yours seems to make alot more sense to me, just not sure why it would be set up so differently. The corrosion was on that 3 puece connection. I cleaned it up and the car seens to be working fine now .

Hard to tell from the pics, but is the negative terminal by the brake fluid reservoir? If so, maybe wrong/generic battery or battery was installed wrong and looks like some generic aftermarket parts were used to make it work.

Folks that don't know cars should always have an inspection done by a competent known mechanic before purchasing used vehicles. Previous owner of that vehicle shouldn't be allowed to work on cars or drive them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not sure this was mentioned before, but there is a new SSM-48123 that states that you can use Positive battery cable clamp BT4Z-14450-AA and negative battery cable clamp BT4Z-14450-BA even for the Explorer.

Back