2020 Atlas Blue Explorer ST shipped from Georgia to Washington | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 Atlas Blue Explorer ST shipped from Georgia to Washington

MTWA

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Finally received my Explorer and ready to share the whole story…

I followed the announcement and progress on the early orders for the new Explorer, but decided to wait until I could see and drive one in person (already made that mistake with the Focus RS). I have a close relationship with my local Ford, and was able to see and test drive the first one in the Seattle area.

I was really trying to hold out for the new Bronco, but I got the wife’s approval to upgrade if I want in a few years.

Anyways, as I pondered back and forth about getting the Explorer, I started lurking the forums, watched all the reviews, and started looking at more in person as they were arriving. I was able to see all the colors in person except for black, and decided I liked Atlas Blue the most.

Now that I knew which color I wanted, super easy to choose the options I wanted. Technology package, moon roof, and streepack.

There were 2 that matched my color and specs in stock out here (different dealerships), but they wanted full MSRP, and had the front plate brackets installed. Here is where the detective work begins, to see if I could find one sitting on a lot somewhere before deciding to custom order one and deal with the delays. I talked a lot with my dealership, and they had an Atlas Blue incoming that matched my specs (plus the DVD screens), but it had the front plate bracket installed. Being that it’s a $50k car, I held my ground and decided not to settle.

Since my preferred dealership is Autonation, they are part of a huge network of national dealers. I went on their website, searched for all Explorer STs they had listed (they list in-stock and on order), then filtered down to my color. Great, so I had over 60 STs, but there’s no way to filter down the specs. This is what makes the forum so awesome.

Autonation lists the VIN number on their website with each vehicle. Using the Window sticker tool, I manually search over 60 ST VINs and made a spreadsheet to annotate the options. Unfortunately, most of the VINs didn’t turn back a window sticker, as they hadn’t been assigned a production date yet.

From all the Explorers in my spreadsheet, only 1 of them fit my specs, and DIDN’T come with the front plate bracket installed from the factory. Event better, I used the order tracking tool, and this Explorer hadn’t left the factory yet, and was “In Production”. To a complete outsider, seemed simple enough to get it rerouted since it hadn’t been shipped yet. Unfortunately, that wasn’t the case, after 2 days of the dealer trying to get it rerouted, production had finished, and it was shipped to the dealer, which was located all the way across the country in Georgia.

Going back to the order status tool, I checked daily, waiting for the status to change from “Received Rail” to “Delivered”. Well, after 5 days, it arrived at the dealership in Georgia. I started with a call to my dealership to inform them it had been “Delivered” and for them to start the dealer transfer paperwork, something that they couldn’t do until it had been delivered/invoiced. After talking to my dealer, I called the dealership in Georgia to confirm they received it, and reminded them not to do the PDI. By the end of that day, I got confirmation that the order had been transferred, and they would arrange shipping.

To my surprise, I got a call the next morning that the Explorer was being loaded on to the truck, and should arrive in a week. 5 days later, the Explorer was delivered late at night, so I had to wait until the next day to go pick it up and do all the paperwork. 2 hours of paperwork while they did the PDI, and I was out the door. SUPER smooth purchase, with extra negotiations. Throughout everything, I worked with the fleet manager and GM at my dealer, not a regular salesperson.

Deal:

$57203 X Plan pricing

1750 Rebate

2311 Autonation Savings

750 Ford Performance offer (generated via Ford Partner website)

Total price of car: $52,392

Additional Incentives I found on the website while doing paperwork:

2.9% for 60 months

$500 Bonus Cash

$1000 trade assist

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First picture late at night when the car arrived from Georgia (before PDI)
IMG_20190927_210257.jpg

The car I traded in:
MVIMG_20190928_110622.jpg

After all the paperwork was done and it was officially mine. Much better without that front plate bracket!
IMG_20190928_135006.jpg

Congrats!! Sounds like quite the story. I am curious how they listed the Autonation discount on your paperwork since they csnt discount an Xplan price. Unless of course they gave you that price not using your Xplan pin. Problem with not using it is they forgo the $800 spiff for selling an xplan or if they did, risk it being charged back.

I have found a few dealers that would do it as well but never went through with it and the dealer Indid biy would not do it.

Your work paid off. Enjoy the ride.

Thank you for posting an interesting story. I wonder who paid to ship your ST from Georgia to Washington. Not cheap!

X plan pricing was listed as Autonation savings, additional markdown was listed as Customer rebate, then they also listed the retail incentive separately.

It was $1400 for shipping that they covered by adding on to the value of my trade in, but still had to list shipping charges on paperwork.

Ended up getting $30k for my Focus RS, with them knowing it needs another headgasket replacement and some other work.

Very nice, my new ST is the same Atlas Blue with Street Pack and Tech Pack. I love the color and the vehicle. Enjoy

Woot Woot! Bellevue STs FTW. I had quite the story from Kirkland Ford where they had the Blue ST I wanted on the way, but it never showed up, waited a month (ended up showing up 2 months after I put a down deposit at end of July) and ended up going with a Magnetic out of Evergreen with the same specs as yours. You got quite the deal. I was also X-Plan, but I only got 1,250 in incentives since my purchase price was 8/26/29.

Congrats and have to commend you on your patience and perseverance.

Back