Still having dash light issues

Flashflood

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wyoming
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer 94 xlt
I recently replaced the 4 high and the 4 low lights in my 91 sport both do activate in the transfer case and 4 high was working but only for about 4-5 clicks and the lights gone meanwhile my 4 low light didn't work at all any idea's. Also the owner before did also put a skimply wired switch for some front grill headlamps that aren't there could that be reason

Switch appears to have an illumination (light) issue as you described the 4x4 is engaging.

The switch housing itself doesn't look very disassembly friendly, as if one could take it
apart to determine the cause of the lighting issue. Power would be going into the switch
to activate the engagement of the contacts for the 4x4 actuator at the transfer case, that
part of it is working.

Could be as simple as the incandescent bulb has burnt out on the circuit board face inside the switch
to poor contacts at the bulb to circuit board itself depending on how the bulb is interfaced with the board.
It may be a soldered connection is my assumption due to vibration issues but may be a plug in type bulb.

Either way, it doesn't look like a easy to work on switch, sort of a "one way" plastic welded assembly.
Tedious to disassemble and repair, you may get lucky and carefully take it apart to figure out the bulb issue.
On the other hand it could turn into a disaster and find that it will not go back together resulting in a useless switch.

1991 Sport 4x4 switch 1.jpg

1991 Sport 4x4 Switch 2.jpg

Switch appears to have an illumination (light) issue as you described the 4x4 is engaging.

The switch housing itself doesn't look very disassembly friendly, as if one could take it
apart to determine the cause of the lighting issue. Power would be going into the switch
to activate the engagement of the contacts for the 4x4 actuator at the transfer case, that
part of it is working.

Could be as simple as the incandescent bulb has burnt out on the circuit board face inside the switch
to poor contacts at the bulb to circuit board itself depending on how the bulb is interfaced with the board.
It may be a soldered connection is my assumption due to vibration issues but may be a plug in type bulb.

Either way, it doesn't look like a easy to work on switch, sort of a "one way" plastic welded assembly.
Tedious to disassemble and repair, you may get lucky and carefully take it apart to figure out the bulb issue.
On the other hand it could turn into a disaster and find that it will not go back together resulting in a useless switch.

View attachment 174297

View attachment 174298
Thanks that is most likely what is happening both of the activator lights plus the night runner lights are working on my switch and for the longest time before I didn't four low runner light but that's because the pins on the connector where lose so that probably has something to do with those not working as well

I would just replace it. They aren't too difficult to find and they came in both the first gen Explorers and some of the older Rangers.

Back