How much lift to mount 32 x 10.5 x 15 Super Swamper tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much lift to mount 32 x 10.5 x 15 Super Swamper tires?

ColoGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Blanca, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 97 09 Explorers
Just bought a '97 Explorer AWD V8 Limited that is still a couple hundred miles away.

I live very close to Colorado's #1 rated trail which I visit often. My 4WD vehicles are only required to be able to get almost half way up. Then I hike.

Start at 6 minutes to see why they don't have to go all the way. This driver was very lucky to live. The side is extremely steep.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome.

1-2 inch suspension lift - 32x11.50x15 on 15x8 rim/ may require some extensive fender trimming

2 inch body lift – 32x11.50x15 on 15x8 rim

Welcome to the forum.

This link should help.

Solved - Lifts and Max tire sizes
edit PS
Looks like a good spot for camping.

Thanks! Yes- beautiful camping spot though the trail. like the Soul Stone, often "extracts a heavy price". Lost a side mirror today. Found a busted up "trail ready" Cherokee at Jaws 1 that somehow lost some windows and rear light attachments - they were dangling.

Where I live - makes sense to be a 4WD junkie of sorts. However - being brand new to the Explorer scene - I have no idea which lift makes the most sense yet. Don't mean to brag but I have three other 4WDs that can actually do the Lake Como trail. Which kind of means, at least implies, they are not very good for highway trips. Or get horrific gas mileage. Got the Explorer for normal trips rather than being a "trailer rig". All are works in progress. Its my gig.

Lake Como:
trail-us-colorado-lake-como-trail-at-map-13293982-1537875871-1200x630-3-6.jpg

There are additional lakes with equally majestic views just up the trail. Many are satisfied with their Lake Como achievement.

Looks like I need to fine tune inquires in the technical section....

Been there done that trail. The more difficult trails in CO is rock and a solid axle swap would be good. I wouldn't try too much more than moderate trails with an stock slightly lifted X. I have built mine for camping, sking, fishing, and what it takes to get there. Suppose I'll never get back to the difficult trails, like Blanca Peak trail but it goes most of where I want too. Welcome!

Been there done that trail. The more difficult trails in CO is rock and a solid axle swap would be good. I wouldn't try too much more than moderate trails with an stock slightly lifted X. I have built mine for camping, sking, fishing, and what it takes to get there. Suppose I'll never get back to the difficult trails, like Blanca Peak trail but it goes most of where I want too. Welcome!

"Moderate" can have a few meanings. :) Moderate is about all I plan on preparing for.....so far anyway. I already have the tires and ground clearance is nice in the rocks. Looks like shackles are a cheap. effective way to lift the rear an inch or two. Not sure about the front.

What did you use on the Lake Como/Blanca Peak trail? I see mostly Razors and Jeeps and signs of transmission or oil pan ruptures. That isn't marking your territory, that is spilling your guts.

If you have other built 4x4s, you know the drill. Enough lift to clear the tires you want, enough gearing to turn the tires, a locker or two or LS, and some body armor. How much of it all is the question.
I ran the Rubicon and there were a couple Gen2s in our group. They both had their stock front IFS, but had lockers 32-33” tires and moderate lift.

Moderate 2 or 3 on a scale to 5, trails are rated. But yah, there are differences in ratings probably dependent on who did the rating.
I ran Blanca in a Fullsize Bronco on 37s, lockers and IFS. There are a few obstacles but one that requires good clearance, Jaws I think they called it.

If you have other built 4x4s, you know the drill. Enough lift to clear the tires you want, enough gearing to turn the tires, a locker or two or LS, and some body armor. How much of it all is the question.
I ran the Rubicon and there were a couple Gen2s in our group. They both had their stock front IFS, but had lockers 32-33” tires and moderate lift.

Not prepping it for Blanca. I don't know how people run Blanca with 32" tires without stacking rocks everywhere. No way would I now try it with 32" tires, Lost a bunch of rubber chunks when I had a whack at it in 2011. I've been up to Lake Como many times. Always find a lot of spilled oil and wonder about the eventual outcome. I've been a member of a couple 4WD groups starting in 1999 - never seen anyone carry a lot of oil with them. But I don't do a lot of group stuff - I am 220 miles from Denver.

Carnage Canyon is tougher, of course, but the spur is only a mile long. Almost everybody suffers severe body damage if they complete the trail. The original builder of my Sammy buggy whacked up the hood pretty good - presumably in the canyon. The only thing it is good for is extreme climbing. Six leaf springs per 38" tire with a 1.3L engine. I might build that with high compression and a cam. Propane is good for high compression and the engine burns some oil.

I'm not really about building 4WD monsters - too expensive and everything can still break. I'm sure there are members that would scoff at most of my "builds". On the other hand, now 61 years old, I don't want to get easily stuck and walk for miles and miles with three dogs. I should bring a winch if planning much real four wheeling.

Standard procedure for me is 32" - 37" tires. Locker in back and posi in front. Plus rock guards. No need to go even that far with the Explorer - it is for exploring with the dogs. Mostly highway driving to the trail.

Yup I ran a part of carnage, not into that anymore. Found myself in rocky canyons with someone breaking and hanging-out or helping till it got fixed. I probably saw your zuki in Carnage.
The Man and Machine thing is cool but rock crawling is not my idea of fun when getting-out anymore. The more difficult the trails got the least likely my family wanted to go along. It is really amazing where you can go with a slightly modified X. It will do all I want. Heck, I started with a two wheel drive truck which I took everywhere I could. You got 5 years on me. Was living in Pueblo around 2003-2006 so Carnage, Blanca, and Como were pretty close.

Those oil spills guys need to carry kitty litter to soak it up, then bag it and carry it out.

Yup I ran a part of carnage, not into that anymore. Found myself in rocky canyons with someone breaking and hanging-out or helping till it got fixed. I probably saw your zuki in Carnage.
The Man and Machine thing is cool but rock crawling is not my idea of fun when getting-out anymore. The more difficult the trails got the least likely my family wanted to go along. It is really amazing where you can go with a slightly modified X. It will do all I want. Heck, I started with a two wheel drive truck which I took everywhere I could. You got 5 years on me. Was living in Pueblo around 2003-2006 so Carnage, Blanca, and Como were pretty close.

Those oil spills guys need to carry kitty litter to soak it up, then bag it and carry it out.

Interesting - Colorado seen some "monsoon rains" between 2013 and 2016. Many trails went from wanting 33" to 35" as soil got washed away from the rocks. Other trails reportedly got easier. The California Rubicon used to be doable in a station wagon. Rain can have its way with some trails. I hear the Rubicon isn't tough if one avoids some challenging spurs.

Then again, a big group did Blanca this year - one reportedly on 31" tires. I'd like to know how many rocks were stacked but I seen a lot right after they left. I hike the trail more than drive it. Much cheaper and better exercise. The dogs love it. Just avoid the week-ends as the trail is used more than it was in the past. Some people are afraid of dogs - I wonder about that at times. I'm sure they wonder about me as well. Couldn't imagine life without a companion or dogs. Dogs are easy. Dogs are fun.

That trail in the video looks technical, but not that difficult. I would not try it with 32's, no lockers and no skid plates, but I would not hesitate to run that in my Explorer. That guy had a clapped-out POS with no front locker and took a horrible line. I don't play around with bad lines when there is a death drop next to the trail.

I do have a question; Why Swampers? There are so many other better tires out there that will last more than 10K miles.

Heh - They have 20,000 miles and guessing about 70% of their tread. The Swamper hate mystifies me - I loved them though Blanca was biting chunks of rubber out of them with street tire pressure and several years on them. Noisy on the highway though. Went BF Goodrich KM2s the next time. Ordered 35" Ironman M/Ts this morning - for a truck that usually carries a truck camper on street tires. Living next to Blanca intoxicates me - I guess. 4 wheeling and tools and travel are about the only things I "squander" money on.

Your rig could easily handle Blanca. That driver could hardly have done worse other than not going too fast and aggressively. Claims he has done the trail "20 times". I doubt that. Still had street tire pressure I think - what in the world was he thinking?

Been a lot of close calls on that obstacle - called Jaws II. First time I seen it I thought this thing was designed to roll rigs off the trail. I think videotaping for youtube makes people take the more macho lines. I'd want 37", or more, for the right hand side. The left side is the sane side in my book. I'm not a huge risk taker. Not with a steep cliff and a rocky ledge steering you off that cliff. Not. for. me.

Here is my lift with only about 2" of lift with 32's on her.
97 29.jpg

This was taken on China Wall
97 33.jpg

I also live in Colorado.

Here is my lift with only about 2" of lift with 32's on her.
View attachment 174331
This was taken on China Wall
View attachment 174332

I also live in Colorado.

Chinaman's Gulch by Buena Vista? Very popular spot. The group had a few breakdowns last time, the consensus was that rains had made the rocks more prominent. Then again the leader always took the hardest line. He was rebuilding his torn up under carriage last I heard.

I'm looking for an economical way to lift 2". Just want bigger tires for more ground clearance. Any economical ideas on that? I wouldn't do it but I have the tires mounted on wheels already. Seems like a waste.

Chinaman's Gulch by Buena Vista? Very popular spot. The group had a few breakdowns last time, the consensus was that rains had made the rocks more prominent. Then again the leader always took the hardest line. He was rebuilding his torn up under carriage last I heard.

I'm looking for an economical way to lift 2". Just want bigger tires for more ground clearance. Any economical ideas on that? I wouldn't do it but I have the tires mounted on wheels already. Seems like a waste.

No Not Chinamens Gulch China Wall in Terryall County.

All I did was Twist my Torsion bars all the way up and did a 4door leaf pack and a Add a leaf. Here is what she looks like after the 4 door leaf pack and the add a leaf on 32's. I am happy with her so far. Had her on Mini moab in Rainbow falls and now up China Wall In terryall county.
97 38.jpg

No Not Chinamens Gulch China Wall in Terryall County.

All I did was Twist my Torsion bars all the way up and did a 4door leaf pack and a Add a leaf. Here is what she looks like after the 4 door leaf pack and the add a leaf on 32's. I am happy with her so far. Had her on Mini moab in Rainbow falls and now up China Wall In terryall county.
View attachment 174333

Wish I had my Explorer here to look at things. Getting it next week saves me almost 400 miles of driving.

Already have the four door. Thinking we are unto something with adding leafs - though that would likely make for a stiff ride.

Considering this pretty hard: https://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58617...t+explorer&qid=1570061609&s=automotive&sr=1-1

About the first thing I do after buying a truck. Adds a lot to bed capacity and raises the bed about 2". These are supposed to fit my Explorer.

Its just me and opinions vary but I recommend these shocks for heavy loads and trailering. Takes a 15mm (on my F-150 that is), impact , crescent wrench and maybe 20 minutes with luck. Need a floor jack to jack up the frame. Using a "farmers jack" can be pretty dangerous - don't ask how I know.

Unless the rear shocks impress me - this could be the winner for the rear.

I think what worms did with his is just what you are looking for. Its about as cost effective as you can get.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After getting the Add a leaf installed the ride did not really stiffen to much. I still like the ride of my truck. Once adding the add a leaf I have not flexed it yet. Here is what the spring pack looks like.
IMG_20190914_164243.jpg

Mine is the sport so just a 2 door. Normal rear leaf is a mono leaf. So I took a 4 door leaf pack and it raised the rear about 1.5" adding the add a leaf I think she went up another inch or so. So total about 3". Give or take. Totally forgot to measure before and after the add a leaf. Next I want to lift the front a little more to have her a little more level. Will see after adding all the goodies I want in the rear.

Back