LED Headlight Conversions | Page 14 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

...... Scattered beam but nicely throw on the road........
A scattered beam is an indication of a lack of focus and is not good and will be blinding to oncoming traffic.Did you install LED headlights?

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you get these and how much? Also, were you able to use the OEM rubber cover over the back of the lights or did you have to cut them to make the lights fit? Thanks....

Perfect! Thanks!

How much for them?

Just installed my Diode Dynamics SL1 LEDs last night..still needs some adjusting but great output!
71289734_10156891507592762_983183228837822464_n.jpg

SL1 on passenger and OEM halogen on driver side:
71669444_10156891507712762_1235780645041471488_n.jpg

SL1s installed:
72333536_10156891507782762_752369916824256512_n.jpg

OEM projector lense may be producing the blueish tint since these are a pure white normally. I will do some testing and make some adjustments and see if it is the lense or bulbs. Overall..great bulbs and worth the money.

Did you determine the cause of the bluish tint? What did you end up adjusting?

Does this bulb need a "warning cancellers" to avoid error codes like some LED conversions need?

Plug and play for 2013 Exp XLT?

THANKS

Seating in the housing...readjusted and fixed.

These sound promising. Do you need the anti flicker / warning canceller modules for use on an Explorer?

Does using the dust caps create any heating problems for the bulbs?

THANK YOU.

Nothing needed besides bulbs. Dust caps do not cause any heating issues with the fans. I used Forscan to setup headlight DRLs so they are on constantly and no issues whatsoever. Let me know if I can help with these bulbs!

PM sent to you. THANK YOU.

Nothing needed besides bulbs. Dust caps do not cause any heating issues with the fans. I used Forscan to setup headlight DRLs so they are on constantly and no issues whatsoever. Let me know if I can help with these bulbs!

The SL1 LED bulbs were installed today. They are definitely whiter and brighter but the beams don't seem to match when aimed at a close wall, see attached photo. Is this OK or should I do something?
BeamCompare.jpg

The Owner's Manual has a diagram of what the light pattern should look like at a certain distance. I think what the picture shows is 'light scatter'.
Have you tried turning the bulbs? LED bulbs produce light in a very different way than halogens do.

Peter

Looking to upgrade my '15 limited. many good options in this thread for bulb choices, but some time has gone by and the technology keeps changing. wanted to see what everyone is currently running for LED bulbs, and what is a good choice on brand vs reliability vs brightness.

Looking to upgrade my '15 limited. many good options in this thread for bulb choices, but some time has gone by and the technology keeps changing. wanted to see what everyone is currently running for LED bulbs, and what is a good choice on brand vs reliability vs brightness.

I’m now running H3 Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 bulbs as one of my originals went out. Ive has them since August and they perform very well.

I added the 9005 LED bulbs to my headlights and I can see a lot better when I drive at night.

9005 are the bulbs for the headlights and H11 are the fog light bulbs....correct??

Trying to decide between these also.........LED and HID Headlight Bulbs & Conversion Kits

and these........https://www.amazon.com/OPT7-Fluxbea...f_=ya_aw_od_pi&tag=ef_viglink_convert-20&th=1

The ones on amazon show the H11 don't fit the fog lights though??

The ones at xenonhids.com have an option for Warning Cancellers / Capacitors for $10 each set. Are these needed?

I would love to know which ones you picked?

I would love to know which ones you picked?
Welcome to the Forum Patrick.:wave:
Keep in mind that you have a shutter that shields part of the bulb for low beam and retracts for high beam. You would want to make sure that the bulb you chose will accommodate the shutter.
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here since March 17, 2017.

Peter

I'm going to be picking up a 2015 explorer limited with the halogen headlights. Ant recommendations on headlights? I do a lot of traveling and would like bright headlights. Looking into HID and LEDs. Thank you!

I'm going to be picking up a 2015 explorer limited with the halogen headlights. Ant recommendations on headlights? I do a lot of traveling and would like bright headlights. Looking into HID and LEDs. Thank you!
Your thread was merged with this existing one found with the 'Search' feature. There are threads on HID as well. Keep in mind to do a correct HID conversion you have to replace the entire headlamp unit. There are plug /& play kits but they are actually illegal for on road use although many are using them.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Patrick.:wave:
Keep in mind that you have a shutter that shields part of the bulb for low beam and retracts for high beam. You would want to make sure that the bulb you chose will accommodate the shutter.
FYI, the member you quoted hasn't been active here since March 17, 2017.

Peter

Hey Peter!

Guess I wont hold my breath for his response :). Thanks for that bit of advice about the shutter to look out for.

Looking to upgrade the stock head lights on the 2011 XLT non-HID.
After reading several threads/pages of years of LED trial and error from other forum members, is there a proven LED replacement bulb?
OR, what is the best halogen bulb I can install into the 2011?
Looking for white light, don't want any tint of blue.
thanks,

Looking to upgrade the stock head lights on the 2011 XLT non-HID.
After reading several threads/pages of years of LED trial and error from other forum members, is there a proven LED replacement bulb?
OR, what is the best halogen bulb I can install into the 2011?
Looking for white light, don't want any tint of blue.
thanks,
lots of them on ebay

led the absolute best

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back