Lock button on power hatch can lock you out or the kids in ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lock button on power hatch can lock you out or the kids in ??

gpz1221

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
FYI, this was also posted on the explorerst.org forum - I discovered a situation / sequence involving the lock button on the power hatch that could be troublesome. I pulled into the garage to unload the weekly groceries from the rear hatch area, get the thick cut Cowboy Ribeyes in the fridge and go right back out for other errands. I turned the ST off, left the key fob in the ****pit area in the ST, hit the power hatch button on the dash, hatch opened up, I unloaded the last groceries and went to hit the power hatch close button on the hatch and accidentally hit the lock button next to it on the hatch at the same time.The passenger doors all locked, the hatch went halfway down, beeped twice and went back up. OK, the hatch beeped twice and went back up because the doors were all locked and the key fob was in the car, this is what the ST is supposed to do, all good. Here's the issue - I hit the lock button again on the hatch next to the hatch open close button and the car doors would not unlock, they would only lock ? Thus, there was no way I could unlock the doors as the key fob was in the ST, locked in behind the doors. My only option was to crawl in from the hatch area, retrieve the key fob and unlock the doors from the key fob. The other options would have been to use FordPass or the Secure code on the door pillars, however I didn't know the code, it was still in with the new car manuals in the glovebox and my phone was locked in the car. I deliberately than repeated the sequence and it repeated itself, locking the key fob in the car unable to unlock the doors ? This is troubling to me, what if someone had kids in car seats locked in... You should not have to crawl in from the trunk/hatch area to unlock your doors in any situation ? I have since put the secure code door pillar code in the cargo area and showed the wife what to do in case this happens to her. I scoured the owners manual and could not find anything on the function of the lock button on the rear hatch...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You did the right thing, set the code on the door so you can always get in, done. Ford Pass app also works nicely as a back up and I have also found a great way to cool it down while still in the office.

I’d been wondering about this just hadn’t gotten around to testing.

the vehicle should not lock and should recognize the fact that there is a key fob in the vehicle. It knows when it is on and you walk out (beep beep).

my wife’s Honda Accord doesn’t let me close the trunk with the key fob in it. Couple of football games and her sending me to take her purse back to the car helped me realized this. It’s a 2018.

I have the OEM Securicode number in my wallet in such a way that you wouldn't know what it was. Can't be bothered changing it to something else.

Peter

gpz1221, since the vehicle was able to sense the keyfob inside, did you try using the door handle touch method to unlock the doors?

Peter

I have the OEM Securicode number in my wallet in such a way that you wouldn't know what it was. Can't be bothered changing it to something else.

Peter

Yeah, it's really tough changing it on the touchscreen. I feel your pain...

Peter

Dont have 15 seconds of spare time? Lol

Screenshot_20191003-150516_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

gpz1221, since the vehicle was able to sense the keyfob inside, did you try using the door handle touch method to unlock the doors?

Peter
The door handles did not unlock the doors in my case as the key fob was inside the car. I was surprised based on my prior experience with most newer vehicles, including Ford's that the doors should not lock with the key fob inside. However, in this scenario they did lock. I even take the key fob out now while getting gas.... I am curious if anyone else can replicate the scenario I described ?

The door handles did not unlock the doors in my case as the key fob was inside the car. I was surprised based on my prior experience with most newer vehicles, including Ford's that the doors should not lock with the key fob inside. However, in this scenario they did lock. I even take the key fob out now while getting gas.... I am curious if anyone else can replicate the scenario I described ?
If all doors, including the liftgate were closed, you likely would not be able to lock the fob inside. But if the liftgate was open, then that would be different.

Peter

If all doors, including the liftgate were closed, you likely would not be able to lock the fob inside. But if the liftgate was open, then that would be different.

Peter

You would if youbhut the inside lock button or hut the 7/8 and 9/0 together. Both of those scenarios allow you to lock the fob inside the car.

You would if youbhut the inside lock button or hut the 7/8 and 9/0 together. Both of those scenarios allow you to lock the fob inside the car.
True enough but I was referring to his scenario.

Peter

This all could have be avoided if every driver follow one simple rule: "Leave the vehicle take the keys". Especially if there are children or pets in the car. That being said the new fob/ pushbutton start systems are conducive to people leave keys in thier vehicle. I keep only my vehicle key and the fob on the key ring to make it as small and lite as possible so it is easy to carry. If your like my daughter and have 25 keys, long leashes, 10 store discount tags, and whatever else she can hang on it it's not so easy to put in you pocket or just hold in your hand. This is why she locks her keys in her car at least once a month. If you have a keyless vehicle the fob goes in your pocket and never has to leave it so if its just a fob with nothing else on the key ring its easy to store or hold.
I don't know why all of you don't know your door keypad code. This to me is one of the best features ever put on a vehicle. I use it all the time. It's simple to change to something you can remember. If you have an ignition key you can hide a spare key in your vehicle in case you loose one. Everyone should know this code it is really handy and will alleviate most lockout problems. I use the same code as my best friend this way if something happens we can get into the others vehicle. When we buy a new one we reprogram to use the same code.

Back