What did you do to your 5th Gen? | Page 96 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did you do to your 5th Gen?

Thanks you! The continental DWS were good but the tires wore out so fast. I was only able to get 25K on them. I got a small rebate and I put the balance into a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. So far they handle excellent especially in the rain but the true test will be in the snow this winter.

I’ve already got about 12K on these tires and they look like they are holding up very well. I read somewhere that our explorers are hard on tires and that the Pirelli’s are the ones that could take a beating everyday. We’ll see.
I got 25k out of the oem hankookys, I was hoping to get more out of my Extreme Contacts. I don’t put all of the highway miles on that you do but I do some spirited driving on some curvy back roads, I guess I better slow it down a little and try to get some more miles out of these treads! I had read the same thing somewhere on here about our the explorer being hard on tires. Enjoy your roadtrip and watch out for those crazy drivers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks you! The continental DWS were good but the tires wore out so fast. I was only able to get 25K on them. I got a small rebate and I put the balance into a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde tires. So far they handle excellent especially in the rain but the true test will be in the snow this winter.

I’ve already got about 12K on these tires and they look like they are holding up very well. I read somewhere that our explorers are hard on tires and that the Pirelli’s are the ones that could take a beating everyday. We’ll see.
All seasons in winter are vastly inferior to winter tires, even half worn ones.

I feel like it's a shame to have them one for winter. If they're doing well for you in 3 season conditions, you could lengthen its useful life. And get a new set of wheels for winter :dunno:

Installed new Velgen 20x10.5's on my Wife's ride, loving the look and handling improvements.

XCYQxYP.jpg

Nice! Are those the bronze wheels?

Lower it and make your wife real happy :)

Nice! Are those the bronze wheels?

Lower it and make your wife real happy :)

Yup, satin bronze, they're stunning IRL. I so want to lower it, but she's going to be towing her 4 seater RZR Pro 1000, so Im going to leave it for now.

I hardwired by Amazon Car Echo behind my dash into my switched dash cam power port. I bought a right angle micro USB cable and ran it over the top of the front console door and fished it behind the headlight switch where I stashed my power port.
No more cord running around my center console and now the Echo turns off when I leave my car instead of staying connected to my phone when I'm in range.

N2YYo7yl.jpg

I was wondering if anyone here has swapped the trim pieces on either side of the center stack with ones from a platinum. I like the platinum trim a better then the silver in my Limited. I have found the pieces on Ebay for a reasonable price and was wondering if anyone else has done the swap and if so, how difficult/easy was it. Will appreciate any feed back. Thanks!

There is a video here somewhere that shows how to remove and replace the whole center stack but I have not been able to find it. I believe the side panels just pull off and snap on but I can't be sure.

Peter

There is a video here somewhere that shows how to remove and replace the whole center stack but I have not been able to find it. I believe the side panels just pull off and snap on but I can't be sure.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

Yeah, I looked all over trying to find something, searched the forum with "Center Stack," "Interior Trim," and a couple of others and came up with nothing. So I thought I would throw up a post and see if someone remembers. I'm going to keep looking. ;)

I'm sure the member will answer you on that but I would think putting any kind of tint, no matter how light, would reduce the amount of light and brightness of a clear lens. I'd be more concerned about the rear ones.

Peter

I am with you on that Peter. I do not like smoked or painted taillights, especially here in the southwest. If you are behind a vehicle with smoked or painted lenses, and the sun is behind you (sun light is hitting the back of the vehicle in front of you), the taillights/brake lights are useless. You can't see them at all. Fortunately, most people don't bother to smoke or paint the third brake light, so at least you can tell when they are stopping, sometimes. I was following a black Chevy Tahoe one late afternoon that someone had use black film on all three rear facing lenses and they might as well as had no brake lights at all. I was going to get a picture, put the light changed before I could get the phone out of my pocket. I can not understand why someone would want to reduce the brightness of the light that lets other people know you're stopping just to look "cool." I like the factory lenses on the Sports, because they don't have any reduction in light output and you can clearing see when the brake has been applied. Sorry about the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine.

Thanks Peter,

Yeah, I looked all over trying to find something, searched the forum with "Center Stack," "Interior Trim," and a couple of others and came up with nothing. So I thought I would throw up a post and see if someone remembers. I'm going to keep looking. ;)

They pop right off. I took mine off when I wrapped them in carbon fiber to match the oe fiber trim on the doors.

I am with you on that Peter. I do not like smoked or painted taillights, especially here in the southwest. If you are behind a vehicle with smoked or painted lenses, and the sun is behind you (sun light is hitting the back of the vehicle in front of you), the taillights/brake lights are useless. You can't see them at all. Fortunately, most people don't bother to smoke or paint the third brake light, so at least you can tell when they are stopping, sometimes. I was following a black Chevy Tahoe one late afternoon that someone had use black film on all three rear facing lenses and they might as well as had no brake lights at all. I was going to get a picture, put the light changed before I could get the phone out of my pocket. I can not understand why someone would want to reduce the brightness of the light that lets other people know you're stopping just to look "cool." I like the factory lenses on the Sports, because they don't have any reduction in light output and you can clearing see when the brake has been applied. Sorry about the rant, but this is a pet peeve of mine.
I am right there with you, on the myriad of vehicle pages on Facebook I'm on, it's a super popular mod. I used to post against it and got flamed for it actually. Apparently cool is more important than safety.

They pop right off. I took mine off when I wrapped them in carbon fiber to match the oe fiber trim on the doors.
Another member did something similar and posted pictures of that.

Peter

Total interior led swap, matte black 3Mhood panel and Steeda throttle body spacer Funny noticed all the charge pipe clamps were loose

A picture of the hood panel would be nice.

Peter

Thanks Peter,

By center stack I assume you either mean the sides of the screen/AC controls, or the sides of the "shifter area"?

If that's what you mean it's very easy.

- The sides of the screen/AC controls pop out with a simple pull. I take them off way too often, so my technique is to start at the top, pull outwards (I use my nails, but you can use a piece of thin plastic or trim removing tool if you wish). When it pops out a bit, scoot down to where it's still attached and do the same again, and keep going until the entire thing pops off. They're held by ~3 clips. Here's the post where I replaced mine with nicer ones.

- If you want to take off the lower side panels of the center console (assuming that's what you meant), you just pull them out as well. Start at the top, then you can go from one end to the other. One of the connectors in the middle (the one that sticks out a bit more than the others and can move vertically a bit (mine is green)) might need a push downward as you push a new panel on, as the slot it goes in to is lower than what the tension of the connector is at.

- If you want to take off the whole center console (assuming that's what you meant), let me know, I've done that 100 times too, but there's a few more steps. I posted about it here.

Installed these Lasfit LED front and rear turn signal bulbs last week, super bright and a very good upgrade over stock. CANBUS built in so no hyperflash.

71113341_10211416646210698_8937277268766490624_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back