Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hughes, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Callsign
KJ7E
Hit on the freeway this morning, dude has no insurance or DL. I think he was high. I did get him to pull over but he is tryin to leave, waiting for the CHP now. Hit my left rear quarter panel behind the wheel. Not terrible... but still.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Damn... this is when I say "I can't have anything nice...". Sorry to hear this, hopefully the damage is minimal and can be an easy remedy.

The CHP arrested the guy and impounded his car. No DL, suspended for DUI, no insurance. At least I have a report for my insurance to cover it as not at fault and they will try to collect from him. I’ll post photos later, just getting to work. It’s not serious, but going to need some trim and paint.

What a way to start your day. Hope it's not to bad and your insurance company Works quickly to get it repaired

Nice... did you get to see him arrested? I know there is no real positives here, but seeing the guy get put in cuffs and the back of the car would have at least made me feel a little better. ;)

Yeah, I as pulling away when the cop was putting him in the back the car. Didn’t take him long.

A96A1BC4-9C2A-42A7-B1C4-8152BCE9F092.jpeg
CEE4C918-95F5-4837-8A09-6BF069E3E70E.jpeg

@dstewart51

Sorry to see what has occurred with all you've been through. :banghead:

Pics show it doesn't look bad in the whole scheme of things BUT I understand how it feels when you're not the one to cause the damage.

Just sayin' - from a business & practical standpoint - the drop in value once Carfax & AutoCheck brand your Ex as involved in an accident VS just outlaying the money and fix it yourself - I'd go with the latter - but that's me.

If it were mine, I'd probably leave the trim as is, and try to compound out what looks to be just some transferred plastic from a bumper cover.

At least you got to see the CHP arrest the perp and impound his car!

HTH -

I hear what your saying but the drop in value will be my mileage, I drive 40K/year. The claim wont affect it much in the long run.

Is the white his paint or your undercoat? If his, and there are no dings, you may be able to get it buffed out. The rubber moulding will have to be replaced.

Peter

Sure it might have a carfax ding on it but if you show that picture to a perspective buyer in the future they would understand it was minor. Hell most 10 year old cars out there have a mark or two on it just like it. I know my 07 focus st does.....

I've swapped a passenger door, side window and 2 passenger front fenders all different occasions from parking lot damage. Been rear ended in McDonald's by a 100 year old woman, just got me with her plate bolts. She was so shaken up I just guided her to a parking spot and let her calm before leaving. Ate that one too as I just touched that up as the ST appearance bumper is hard to find with good paint. None of which were reported so no carfax ding. Just shows carfax can't help but so much.

Is the white his paint or your undercoat? If his, and there are no dings, you may be able to get it buffed out. The rubber moulding will have to be replaced.

Peter

He was in a white Expedition, those are scratches to the undercoat.

Sad. Good luck on a quick, quality repair.

Just shows carfax can't help but so much.

@boominXplorer

I hear you.

I listed CarFax in my reply for the 80 Percentile that default to that Car History service provider.

I also listed my go-to, which is AutoCheck.

AutoCheck is owned/operated by Experian - one of the big three credit reporting agencies.

If an insurance company makes a pay out on an accident, or if there's a buy-back from a manufacturer (that's trying to avoid being Lemon Branded), AutoCheck will find out as their fingers are "in the pie" so to speak.

In this case, as @dstewart51 said, his 40K a year mileage is what's gonna' kill the value in the grand scheme of things.

Hit on the freeway this morning, dude has no insurance or DL. I think he was high. I did get him to pull over but he is tryin to leave, waiting for the CHP now. Hit my left rear quarter panel behind the wheel. Not terrible... but still.

Wow, sorry to hear this. At least it's minor and the best part is you got to see him taken away to jail :D

If it's just paint and trim, consider just paying for it and not getting the ding on your insurance record. A clean insurance record will save you money in the long run. Make sure your body shop know you're paying out of pocket and they won't charge you the inflated 'insurance' charges and may even give you a better deal.

If it's just paint and trim, consider just paying for it and not getting the ding on your insurance record. A clean insurance record will save you money in the long run. Make sure your body shop know you're paying out of pocket and they won't charge you the inflated 'insurance' charges and may even give you a better deal.

No ding if it isnt your fault. That's why people have uninsured motorist coverage.

My insurance agent says that ANY claim on your insurance makes you a less desirable and more expensive client -- which can mean higher rates. That's not what the tell you when your buying their insurance, but we all know how trustworthy insurance companies can be. If the damage is substantial then it makes perfect sense to use your insurance coverage -- that's what it's for. It may be better to pay minor dings out of pocket.

I've been quiet since last Friday after this initial report. The first hit happened at 5:50am (you heard me right, first). On my way home around 3pm I was stopped by the Capital Records building in Hollywood when a young lady didn't stop and rear ended me. WTH? Twice in the same day! She had USAA insurance at lest, she also just left the DMV with her new license not 30 min earlier. The trailer hitch took 90% of the hit, punched a square hole in her front license plate and bent her bumper up. Only cosmetic scratches on the plastic bumper wrap on mine, didn't hit the tail gate or exhaust tips. Have to pull the bumper wrap off to see if there is any damage behind the plastic.

I think I need to buy a 1972 Impala SS wagon with a 454, put a cage in it, paint it up with "HIT ME, I DARE YOU!"

Seriously, I'd laugh if it wasn't me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seriously, I'd laugh if it wasn't me.
I feel your pain. My last car (a Tahoe) I had 2 people hit me in 2 months. I hope you buy a dash cam after this as i realized how bad some drivers are out there and having that mounted up there is a safety net for insurance claims.

Back