Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never Done, Build Thread for Kenne Bell Supercharged 5.0 Explorer with Ranger Edge Front Clip

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2 cents would be to use a metal 90 and use a reducer on one end or the other

Ya, I was trying to use a couple scraps from prior builds, but ya I may clean it up later.

Got a Mustang EGR ordered, coming-in today. Autozone has free next day air for a bit.

I put the dial indicator on it and it was within 4 hundredths out of round, got lucky and centered it first try. It's a ford pulley, thought it might help someone to have the part number.

Pulley part number:
blower-pulley.jpg

Dial indicator:
dial-indicator1.jpg

Love it!

I just watched a guy on da youtube make a pulley just like yours except he made a adaptor plate in between the pulley s to cope with the torque more
...he was installing 2 m90 blowers on the same engine as yours

Crank Pulley is available: BC3Z-6312-CA - Genuine Ford Base No. #6312 Pulley - Crankshaft

I welded a 1/8" spacer behind the pulley which beefed-it-up considerably, bolted it on with three bolts and then three button head bolts tapped into the balancer. It will work, unless I got it really out of balance.

It's busy season and I am working strait through for a bit.

I am now working from home though, saves time, and a good break could be installing the A/C Condenser/Radiator, Fans, Bypass, EGR, PVC, Vacuum lines, Etc. Etc., then disassembly, a bit of cleaning and re-finishing, and finally Re-assembly........Plus some kinda hood vents, fender vents or both?

I also see the need to isolate the intake air better from the engine heat and seal the air intake area in front of the radiator from the engine compartment better. Both of these are a product of tossing-on the Ranger Edge front. There are gaps to be filled and taken advantage of as well.

I'll have plenty of time in December. F*&^x! Wish I had a couple weekends to go at it, but I likely can have more short breaks with it now.

I am thinking now, it would be nice to put a long block in it..................though I want to make it all work at first as well....................why do it twice????? I'm getting greedy.......Stroke it......Headers/Exhaust......................yahhhhh!

Ha ha ha
devil.gif
rockon_ford.gif

Oh man.....I wish I had never screwed with my motor. Maybe things will work out better for you though.

I finally have a motor that is staying together. It's been years, countless pulls, and endless $.

Don't do it! :)

I was the the Manic Mechanic. Carp, I don't want to do all the work nor have the time now. I likely will get some refurbished heads and go with it for a while.

I have decided on running 5lbs and ordered some Torque Monster Headers. It will get rebuilt completely, but I want to make it go for a bit....................Yep 8lbs can wait. It would be better to have a fresh engine for that.

She is torn back down to the heads and I got the condensor/radiator reinstalled. I am looking to reassemble it in the next few weeks. I ordered 2 -9" fans and have a set of 7". They will fit behind the radiator at 3200CFM total. I may add a couple in front of the radiator as pushers in the center to cover where they won't fit behind. It only has 2.5" clearance between crank pulley/belt/charger pulley and the radiator. Shot a pic:
fan-clearance.jpg

I lied, was going to plug weld the pulley in addition to the three stock bolts holes I used. I got down to it twice and backed-off. I decided on an easier method which is less likely to warp or unbalance the pulley, plus really the thing should be heated then welded. I tapped the stock pulley and put in three button head bolts. So basically a stock pulley you can still get and I made a 1/8" spacer. I think you could run without welding the spacer to the pulley and not worry about welds throwing-off the balance like I am. All 6 bolts got red loctite.

crank-pulley.jpg

I cleaned-up the lower intake a bunch, need a final scrubbing and blow-out:
lower-intake.jpg

These will make the blower shine and I understand the time, effort, and quality that has gone into these. They are a special item for these rigs!!!!!!!!!

drivers.jpg

passenger.jpg

The headers are supposed to ship today! I only spent more on the blower, ha. They are a specialty item. I am sure that there is no assembly line that cranks them out. So they are a one off hand made item. They provide a proven performance increase, are ceramic coated, custom fitting, shiny, and I am glad they are still available for these 20 year old rigs!!!!
If it sounds like I am rationalizing the purchase, it's cause I had to with the wife and like all, I work hard for my money. I thought seriously about the two to other brands, but it's already tight in there and I want that ceramic coating to help with heat. These do come with bolts, gaskets, high temp red thread locker, and gaskets too. Finally, this is my one thing I spend a bit on, my hobby and I will get use out of them everyday. It will be Christmas in October when I get them!
Whew, still a tinge of guilt, that's a third of a Caribbean trip.

My cooling fans where back ordered so I got a refund and ordered another set. Delayed!

Shoot.
I'm pretty excited to see some boost happening here.
Even with the delay, I'm sure there's things you can be doing.

Yah, thanks! I am overworked and tired.

I put three day shipping on what looks to be the same fans. This project I got some control over and am looking forward to working on it some this weekend.

Got a little pick-me-up from FedEx today, motivation for hard work. Now I think I need some basic refurbished heads................shame to bolt up all this good stuff to old heads.

I got so much work to do this time of year, I get to crank it out and put some aside for my rig.

Replacing the springs on the heads?

Replacing the springs on the heads?

Good thought, and then I think, he needs bigger, then I think ouch that is expensive, and then the exhaust subject pops in, ouch, that's a PITA in every project.

It may be easier to go in steps, do rebuilt mild heads with good valve springs and get the system working well. Later if it needs more, plan it with bigger goals to aim for.

I found heads with better springs, refurbished for $800 allowing up to .600 lift. Would they require aftermarket valve covers?

I really want a long block, but I don't have the cash now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

VC's are based on the rocker arms used. Stock pedestal rockers will fit under anything, but most roller rockers are much taller, and need taller VC's. What heads are those, the stock GT40P's, rebuilt?

Back