Caliper bracket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Caliper bracket

bigdude2468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XT
Doing my rear brakes and after examination I thought I would replace the caliper bracket. My Ex is 4WD with heavy duty brakes. I do not find this bracket available from any parts store or Rock Auto. RA has rear heavy duty brackets but they are listed as replacement for a non-painted bracket, mine are painted. Don't understand why a bracket that's painted would be different but I am reluctant to order them only to have to return on my $.

Any one have any insight?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why do you want to replace them?

If they are corroded in the abutment clip area, just clean the area and reinstall old or new clips.

If they don't look as nice as they once did, just clean and touch up or repaint.

I can't get one of the slide pins out. I actually looked at Auto Nation WBL and could not find the bracket listed but I did not look using VIN. I will give it another try.

You can't break it loose at all with a wrench or impact? If the boot was compromised , it may be corroded. Maybe try some penetrating oil also. I've had some difficult ones over the years, but have never had one that wouldn't come apart. Once out, you should be able to clean up the hole and just replace slide pins and boots.

Not sure what your location is, but if you have 3/4 seasons, you may want to consider a quick annual brake service - lube abutment clips and slide pins. I try to do my vehicles when I rotate tires.

My location is way worse than 3/4 seasons. We drive in deep snow all winter, last year 675" so yea the service is severe. Since new every fall I do a thorough clean up including removing glide pins, cleaning and reinstalling using high temp caliper grease. I pull everything apart and use a Dremel with a small wire brush attachment to clean the surface where the slide clips rest, I put a light coat of grease behind the clip to retard corrosion.

I checked AutoNation WBL again using my vin and the results were the same. They do not show a bracket for 4WD W/HD brakes. They show a 2WD W/HD brakes, my guess is that bracket should fit.

Back