• Register Today It's free!

To buy or wait

stevesmith1328

Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford XLT Silver
Seems like the initial production problems and delays with explorers hitting the lots are gone, but there seems to be quite a few posts about issues with the new explorers ranging from annoying noises to more serious issues.

I was set to pull the trigger on a platinum in a few weeks, but now I am starting to reconsider after seeing all the posts with problems and articles online. Any recommendations from some of the long time members in regards to waiting or going ahead on the 2020? Hate to drop 60k and then up with buyers remorse if the problems start up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not a single problem to date with my ST:
Production date: 08/18/2019
Transport Date: 08/19/2019
Arrived at dealer in Florida: 09/04/2019

I've been going back in forth, but not because of quality issues, but rather because of price. I'm going to remain patient, and buy somewhere in the mid to possibly upper $40's for an ST. I think we'll see sub $50k in the next several months, and probably upwards of 25% off of MSRP by late mid to late summer of 2020.

I've been going back in forth, but not because of quality issues, but rather because of price. I'm going to remain patient, and buy somewhere in the mid to possibly upper $40's for an ST. I think we'll see sub $50k in the next several months, and probably upwards of 25% off of MSRP by late mid to late summer of 2020.

25% will never happen. I can see $10000 discount on an ST at the most. but not much more than that...

25% will never happen. I can see $10000 discount on an ST at the most. but not much more than that...

Yea, 25% is 15K. No way. Ford does have a line drawn is sand were they cannot sell a new vehicle below certain amount.

Lol, you dont even get 25% of $90k superduties, you will not get that off Explorers. 10-12% is usually the norm on really good deals with rebates. There just isnt that much available below invoice to get much better than that. Even if Ford has a $5k rebate (like they did on the 5th gen), you are still not even talking $10k unless you have a PCO.. which that MIGHT get you to the $10k mark.

Hindsight, I'd wait.

There are definitely some gremlins lurking in this new platform. Luck of the draw I'd say.

The 5th gen has been out now for 9 years and they are still finding some issues with the 2019 models.

Peter

You can wait forever and hope they fix things, but it's just wishful thinking. If you like the vehicle, take a chance and buy it. Hope the dealer support and warranty is good enough to sort out any real problems. Every make/model has it's issues even if it's a mature platform. My uncle is one who waits years and researches everything to the max. By the time he thinks he's ready, the new model is coming out with new pricing. He's still researching plasma tv's...

You also have to remember that most people come to forums and sites with problems, so you get a really concentrated dose of "OMG this vehicle sucks!". However, this is only a minute fraction of people who have purchased these vehicles.

In essence, take everything here with a grain of salt.

I had no regrets buying my XLT Silver Spruce back on July 5th. Once upon a time I wouldn't have considered getting a 1st year model, and certainly never so close to the roll out. I've had no issues with it and enjoy driving it. The fit, trim and quality all seem fine.
Sure I could have waited, which was the intent. But my sales guy made the numbers work. So if you want one go get it.

I had no regrets buying my XLT Silver Spruce back on July 5th. Once upon a time I wouldn't have considered getting a 1st year model, and certainly never so close to the roll out. I've had no issues with it and enjoy driving it. The fit, trim and quality all seem fine.
Sure I could have waited, which was the intent. But my sales guy made the numbers work. So if you want one go get it.

No major issues to report on August built ST too.

Likewise. I have an early build ST (June 7, picked up July 1). No problems whatsoever; just the seatback recall to be addressed at some point. Have thoroughly enjoyed 3 months of ST performance ;)

I have an early July build ST and have had no issues at all and have loved driving it!

I had the seatback but mine passed with no problem and no part replacement. All they do is check with a load pull gauge and if the seatback doesn't break free it is good to go, if it does they have to replace the whole second row seat.

Tony, I am also in PBG. What dealership do you go to? Mullinax?

You never, ever, want to buy the first year of a new model, or complete makeover. And really, you are taking chances on the 2nd year as well. Those are both basically Beta versions, waiting for the consumers to sort out problems. By the 3rd year, most of the issues are sorted out, and it's pretty safe to buy. I'd wait for the 2022 model to come out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You never, ever, want to buy the first year of a new model, or complete makeover. And really, you are taking chances on the 2nd year as well. Those are both basically Beta versions, waiting for the consumers to sort out problems. By the 3rd year, most of the issues are sorted out, and it's pretty safe to buy. I'd wait for the 2022 model to come out.
But it is an "Explorer" going where none have gone before, being the first is part of the adventure. I have been amazed at what this ST can do from handling, performance and tech. 400hp with twin turbos may be a little too much Exploring for some.

Back