93 motor swap issue | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

93 motor swap issue

I wonder if they would see the sensors not working at the smog shop.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the check engine light goes on with the key, stays off with engine running, passes smog, and readiness tests I doubt they will look for all that.

The 93 california truck I had was non egr. 93 has a lot of weird combinations and ECM variations.
I think the California smog-sensor system was changed in 93 also, to add to all that. Did your 93 have egr?

I was able to convert to a true 93 sequential fire non egr non cam sensor, 2 primary o2 sensors and one cat o2 sensor with the proper ECM and harness, plug and play.

Interesting. because the EGR and everything is there so it would pass the visual it just wouldn't be monitored...... this is intriguing me.:):burnout:

Yes my 93 has an EGR but only 2 O2 sensors.

So I guess the question now is what computer do I need I'll need a federal 93 computer for manual transmission?

How exactly did you wire up the 96 sensor? did the wire colors match?
I remember that this can be tricky on some years we should check the 93 vs 96 wiring, they are both half moon shaped and 3 wire sensors correct?

93-94 should work, explorer with manual or ranger/b4000 with manual
94 had cam sensor, 2ea 02 sensors and egr all of them
95 was an odd year with the new 110 pin pcm and the glass window style cam sensor...then it changed again in 96-97 3 wire cam sensor, and finally in 98-2000 no more vss, 2 wire cam sensor and pats
What is the calibration code on your current 93 pcm?

This is from memory here I have not worked on Gen I's in a while now so somebody jump in here if I am off a bit!

Yes they were both three wire and half-moon-shaped and I did the best to color coat the gauge of the wire was definitely different

Calibration code is the letters on the computer itself right?

Since you asked....
My 94 4.0 OHV has EGR, 60 pin ECM, and two HO2's
My 95 4.0 OHV had a 60 pin ECM & the glass top CMP, External EGR, and two HO2's
Not sure if the 5.0 is relevant or not, but...
My 98 5.0 has a 3 wire CMP, came with 4 HO2's originally ;)

I would just replace the CMP with a 93 first and see what it does. I know they are pricey to replace, but.... if it fixes it, it will be worth it. If not, at least you have a nice new part, you won't have to worry about down the road. :D

show a pic of the pcm sticker
EECVCodes.jpg

This sticker here says this PCM is a MDE2

So the switch to the 110 pcm was in 96? interesting, after that the 4.0 had 3ea 02 sensors and was full ODB2 computer

Yes they were both three wire and half-moon-shaped and I did the best to color coat the gauge of the wire was definitely different

whoa okay this maybe an issue here we gotta match the wires up wire for wire.
lets get a map of the 93 cam sensor wires and the 96 and compare

Well i did also do it one wire at a time. In order. The colors seemed to be the same.

My computer is zap code or the code is ZAP.

es they were both three wire and half-moon-shaped and I did the best to color coat the gauge of the wire was definitely different

Well i did also do it one wire at a time. In order. The colors seemed to be the same.

So the wire colors were the same?
I am trying to find 1993 wiring diagrams for the CAM sensor....so far no luck
I am sure I have it downstairs in the shop if I need to do some digging.

If it was me I would want to make sure the 3 wires match up.

The 3 wire sensor is
1. cam sensor wire to pcm
2. sensor signal return (ground)
3. power

Yes they looked the same. I have a factory ford manual bit its for a 91...

What does the wire on the ignition lock cylinder do? Mine is broken....

the little black wire is the key left in ignition chime
If you connect it to ground you should get a warning chime

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So I've been working crazy hours the past few weeks I'm finally getting back to working on this going through my old box of parts and I found for old computers 1 I marked 5 speed 93 and newer code on it is won one and I have one that says 91 Explorer manual transmission I'm going to try that one and see if it starts

Back