My new parking brake release handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My new parking brake release handle

Boomyal

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Ltd
Components_zpsc5e87a88.jpg

Rod-marked_zps6b2fb599.jpg

Rod-threaded_zpsd3ece5e6.jpg

T-handle-machined_zps74dbc941.jpg

T-handle-ready_zpsc30b6a78.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that, mine broke years ago and i just use the hook that was left behind.

I like that, mine broke years ago and i just use the hook that was left behind.

Yeah, I could have done that, too. But I tend to be a little **** about things like that.

I'da thought that more people would have been interested in this?

Sure look real neat. But yeah, I belong to the "too lazy" group - the hook'll do!

I'da thought that more people would have been interested in this?

More people get interested when they need to do the mod on their vehicle. Until then, fickleness reigns! :D

Maybe I should have you make me one so I can replace the hook. Maybe then the wife will use the parking brake.

i should look into making something liek that for my 91, the shop at school does have a milling machine... cool idea man, u should post a pic of it installed.

i should look into making something liek that for my 91, the shop at school does have a milling machine... cool idea man, u should post a pic of it installed.

I'll try to get picture of it. It is installed. The stainless steel T-handle is a cabinet knob that I got off of Lowes.com. It was $4.00 +tax, shipped. It was pre-threaded for a typical 8-32 screw. It needs to be re-drilled and threaded for 12-24. The re-drilling was easy. The re-threading in the stainless was a bit tougher.

The rod was easy to cut the 12-24 threads on. I cut the finger grooves with a high speed steel 9/16 endmill bit, on my drill press with an X Y adjustable vice table. I widened the grooves to about 3/4" with the bit and then polished them with a 3/4 rotary stone.

Maybe I should have you make me one so I can replace the hook. Maybe then the wife will use the parking brake.

If I had it to do over again, I would have heated then straightened the 90° bend instead of cutting it off. Then I would have rethreaded the rod. That would have made the handle stick further out and made it easier to grab. There was plenty of room in the handle well to allow that to happen. As it is, and the way I measured it out, it is in the same position as the plastic handle was.

Getting the old handle and rod out was easy. I had to drill the rivet at the forward end of the handle rod and remove two 7 mm screws. I re-installed the rod using a 1/4-20 bolt and a nylock nut.

Now when you reach down and grab the new handle, it feels like Ford had a better idea!

It's plastic, and not sharp enough to cut you. It looks like it's 3D printed, but it works great and looks good.

It's plastic, and not sharp enough to cut you. It looks like it's 3D printed, but it works great and looks good.

the picture looks like black anodized angle iron

Back