PTU issues covered with ESP Warranty? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU issues covered with ESP Warranty?

Thomas Reminga

Reaction score
City, State
Port Washington, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
I have a 2017 Ex Sport. Coming up on 32K miles. I have never serviced it, no seeming issues with the truck so far. I bought the ESP warranty up to 100K or 120K, can’t recall right now. I know some people recommend looking into finding a shop (or DIY) the PTU fluid around 30K or at least at an interval that contradicts Ford (ie never). I am wondering if I should really even be concerned about it if I carry the ESP warranty extension? I don’t shy away from maintenance and do a lot myself- I have a mid rise lift in my garage. Just wondering if I’m 100% covered minus my deductible should it fail beyond the inconvenience of Ford having my truck for a while?

Hi Tom. The PTU is also covered under the Powertrain Warranty. Do you have the ESP brochure? It should mention it on there. The 2019 ESP brochure I just pulled up from the Internet shows Transfer Case and all Internal Parts under the Transmission section.

Peter

Tough call. There is a case to be made for not doing anything you don't have to do since you did pony up for the esp.

It's really going to boil down to personal preference.

Depending on the cost I would consider doing it on a regular interval, but I also hear that the dealerships are flat out saying they won’t do it. So that plays into it; you won’t do it, I can’t force them to and pay them, so screw it. I haven’t tried talking to my dealer about doing it proactively.

Back