• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid

Cuco

Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn , New York City
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
What is the best transmission fluid synthetic or regular. What do you use out there put in your transmission. The picture I’m posting is my best guess of the best transmission fluid to put in your explore

061B43A6-FC9E-40C3-9752-7CFC93D64B15.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Most here use the recommended Mercon V. If you like Castrol they make a Mercon V, but there are multiple brands to chose from (including Motorcraft).

The "BEST" transmission fluid really depends on a couple factors:
1) type required for year/make/model recommended by manufacturer
2) duty requirements of vehicle
3) age and miles of selected transmission
4) current operating condition of transmission (leaks, slips, bangs)
5) budget of transmission owner
6) I'm sure there are additional factors to include

Since you asked
all mercon V is full synthetic

I use Valvoline myself due to price
I do NOT use Supertec (Wal mart), I don't trust it, even though it meets mercon V standards I have still seen the supertech fluid cause issues in the 4r55/5r55e transmissions

+1 for name-brand Mercon V.

@410Fortune Hope I didn't f up my trans with supertec seems to work great been about 30k since the full rebuild with added shift kit a other stuff

@410Fortune Hope I didn't f up my trans with supertec seems to work great been about 30k since the full rebuild with added shift kit a other stuff

You're probably okay, but I wouldn't use Walmart oil in anything I care about. As you're now at 30k, it's a good time to switch to a name brand Mercon V.

I just did a pan drop about 6k ago think I should dump?
it it's shifts great and supertec is ford approved

I just did a pan drop about 6k ago think I should dump?
it it's shifts great and supertec is ford approved

Any oil produced to the Mercon V spec should be the same as any brand name Mercon V, but I have to wonder how Walmart can sell it for less money. It's not like Walmart makes lubricants. Someone is supplying it at a cheap price for them to sell it for less. Personally I'm not willing to gamble that Super Tech is just as good as Valoline, Castrol or Motorcraft Mercon V. Walmart brand cola doesn't taste like Coke or Pepsi.

Like your signature says, it's just my opinion.

@koda2000 It's made by warren oil company they make lots of fluids oil and such it's the reason I bought the supertec ...reading lots of bob is the oil guy forums ....lol great forums over there oh well I'll buy motorcraft online from now on it was only 4 quarts out of the total transmission fluid in the trans should be fine

I got into a discussion at Napa the other day with the employee and asked a similar question - "Who makes NAPA branded oil?" He said that Ashland makes it (same producer as Valvoline), but the additive package wasn't quite as good. It met all of the industry standards but wasn't as good as actual Valvoline oil.

Producers like Ashland (or Pennzoil, or Warren) probably have varying quality of final product after they finish refining oils. The highest quality product will undoubtedly go towards their name brand labels. The lower binned products that still meet industry standard are probably what ends up in private label brands, like Supertec.

ah yes who makes what is always fun
I love bobistheoilguy.com the debate over Polaris factory fluids has been raging over there for years....
its all about WHAT WORKS FOR YOU and your budget
I can tell you supertech is not for me, based on real world experience with some leaky valve bodies in 4r55 and 5r transmissions and torque converter shudder on similar autos
I wont buy tires from Wal mart for my trucks, the BFG KO you get from them is not the same tire you get from Discount tire and the like....it will wear faster
Again I have seen this with my own eyes and then I go do the research to affirm what we already know
You get what you pay for is true...

Just not worth the savings some times, my transmissions cost alot of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ so I don't skimp on the lubricants I use what my builder recommends

I guess it's like the "factory outlets". The brand name is the same, but usually the quality of the item is not as good as the same item you might buy in a high-end store.

Well now I feel stupid.
Any suggestions ?
Flush ..pan drop ..or leave it alone and use motorcraft next time ?
I also used lubegard Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant when I did the pan drop

we all get bitten its no biggie I mean its still qualifies as mercon V so its not like you have garbage in there
If you want to change it out and save money change it out over time....I drain the pan once a year and change 5-6 quarts....change filter every 30K or so.....as long as I keep it cool it will last for a long long time this way......
the supertec will mix and eventually be replaced after 3,4 maybe 5 pan drains

adding the lube guard is genius move it can make cheaper fluids act right, even convert some non mercon to V
We use the red bottle AND the dr tranny shudder guard with every fresh trans build along with dacron filter (wix or motocraft) , I chose valvoline full synth fluid I switched years ago because mobil one went UP!!!
I cringe when I have to buy 14-16 quarts of mercon V, it is NOT CHEAP and finding 16 quarts in town is always hit or miss....4 from this store, 5 from them....sucks
My wifes rig uses toyota WS fluid.... now that crap is pricey

We use the red bottle AND the dr tranny shudder guard with every fresh trans build along with dacron filter (wix or motocraft).

Can you clarify?

LUBEGARD makes two different products that come in red "bottles."
  • LUBEGARD Instant Shudder Fixx
  • LUBEGARD Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
When you do a rebuild, which one do you add and how much?

Dr. Tranny makes Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx. Is this the product you use? Do you add this in addition to one of the LUBEGARD products? This appears to be the same as LUBEGARD Instant Shudder Fixx... is it the same?

Thanks for your help.

Can you clarify?

LUBEGARD makes two different products that come in red "bottles."
  • LUBEGARD Instant Shudder Fixx
  • LUBEGARD Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant
When you do a rebuild, which one do you add and how much?

Dr. Tranny makes Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fixx. Is this the product you use? Do you add this in addition to one of the LUBEGARD products? This appears to be the same as LUBEGARD Instant Shudder Fixx... is it the same?

Thanks for your help.
Did a transmission tuneup purchase a Motorcraft transmission filter and use these fluids listed in picture

43361366-9856-4533-9F4E-125BBE5703DA.png

474FABCE-CD1A-4288-B989-07C47EE73132.png

DD3AA7D2-DEAE-4F74-9572-CAA41E737AF9.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back