3000 RPM noise 2016 explorer 2.3l Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3000 RPM noise 2016 explorer 2.3l Limited

Lincolnunit

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Limited AWD
When accelerating once I reach 3000 RPM I get this strange noise almost like a feint rattle at around gear 2 or 3. Beyond those gears or RPM the noise is gone, but since I put it under load when merging onto highways, it’s quite annoying and it makes me wonder if engine is gonna fall apart. I had my dealer test drive it with me and he insists that the noise is normal...
This is my first explorer and I bought it used and currently have 58k miles (bought it at 55k miles). Only thing I can think of is maybe they didn’t install the PTU on correctly when I had it replaced?

oh and this does not occur in park when I “rev up your engines!” -Scotty Kilmer

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it make the rattle noise if you have it in park and rev the motor to 3000rpm or just in gear, under load.

Does it make the rattle noise if you have it in park and rev the motor to 3000rpm or just in gear, under load.
I was just going to update that. No the rattle noise does not occur in park!

Heat shield??

Video needed. My 17 might have had this issue but I need some audio to verify it's the same item. Easy fix if so.

Back