CODE P0456 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

CODE P0456

So a month ago the CEL was on and we had a P0456. A trip to the dealer had the evap canistor and one of the catalytic converters replaced to fix. They also found a leak in the PTU and replaced seals to fix that.

Fast forward a month and while out of town (of course) my wife called telling me she got a Stabilitrak warning, something about the 4WD and then the light on the "selector" switch was off.

She was driving on dry pavement around town. Normally these point to the PTU crapping out so I told her as long as the vehicle didnt make sounds or shake she could drive home, just know that it will be in FWD.

Next day everything was back to normal - no lights on the dash, nothing. The selector switch for 4WD was lit and appeared to be working.

I hooked my code reader up the my Explorer and it showed a "Permanent P0456" stored. There is no CEL light lit up.

I called my dealer and they were happy to check things out for a diagnostic fee, but if the CEL light isnt on they most likely wont have anything to fix.

So - I doubt a P0456 has anything to do with the PTU, but anyone have thoughts on why this is stored but not CEL?
Try Forscan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to take it out of demo mode. It's just a feature of the software that allows you to see how the software would work when connected to a vehicle.

All of the Focus data is completely fake.

You need to take it out of demo mode. It's just a feature of the software that allows you to see how the software would work when connected to a vehicle.

All of the Focus data is completely fake.

Lol, that explains alot! The first error is what I was experiencing before.

Ok I ran it in configuration mode and this is what ift found (removing the empty portions) - anything of concern here? I dont have a CEL lit on the dash:

===C-CM DTC U0418:68-28===
Code: U0418 - Invalid Data Received from Brake System Control Module A

Additional Fault Symptom:
- Event Information

- Previously Set DTC - Not Present at Time of Request
- Malfunction Indicator Lamp is Off for this DTC

Module: Cruise-Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 159874727 sec - Global real time
-IFC_D703: 0 - Internal Module Fail Code
===END C-CM DTC U0418:68-28===

===ABS DTC C1B00:64-68===
Code: C1B00 - Steering Angle Sensor

- Signal Plausibility Failure

- Test not complete

Module: Antilock braking system

Freeze Frame :
-GLOBTIM: 159874725 sec - Global real time
-POWER_MODE: Running - Power Mode Status
-ABS: Inactive - ABS
-AYC: Inactive - AYC
-BTCS: Inactive - BTCS -201D
-HDC: Inactive - HDC
-RSC: Inactive - RSC
-BTC: Inactive - BTC
-VAC_BST_ST: Inactive - Active Vacuum Booster State
-BST_REL_SW: Inactive - Booster Release Switch State
-HYD_PMP_ST: Inactive - Hydraulic Pump State
-VPWR_ABS: 14.10 Volt - Module supply voltage
-VSS: 47.0 km/h - Vehicle Speed
===END ABS DTC C1B00:64-68===

===PSCM DTC U0121:00-0A===
Code: U0121 - Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module A

- DTC Present at Time of Request

Module: Power Steering Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-SWRS: 0 rev/min - Steering Wheel Rotation Speed
-SW_ANGLE: 0.00 ° - Steering Wheel Angle
===END PSCM DTC U0121:00-0A===

===PSCM DTC U0151:00-0A===
Code: U0151 - Lost Communication With Restraints Control Module

Freeze Frame :
-SW_ANGLE: 0.00 ° - Steering Wheel Angle
===END PSCM DTC U0151:00-0A===

===PSCM DTC C1B00:64-08===
Code: C1B00 - Steering Angle Sensor

- Signal Plausibility Failure

Freeze Frame :
-SW_ANGLE: -401.90 ° - Steering Wheel Angle
===END PSCM DTC C1B00:64-08===

===BdyCM DTC B115E:55-0A===
Code: B115E - Camera Module

- Not Configured

Module: Body Control Module

I got this code in early December, tried the funnel thing a few times and then ordered a replacement purge valve since it wasn't that expensive. A week or so later the light goes out so I decided to leave things as they were. Last week I got the same code again. Did the "leak" actually go away on its own at spme point and then come back or what? I do regret not runnign my scanner when the light was gone to see if the code was still being detected.

I replaced the canister purge valve but do not believe the one that was on the car was faulty as I could not blow/suck through it. I also tried the funnel thing again, this time sprayign air in it as well to maybe loosen debris.

The light is still on but I believe it needs to go through a certain number of startups/miles before it resets, correct?
Tuner still reads the error code as of now...

Thanks!

This code was showing on my 2014 XLT Ford Explorer.

1AA54256-A439-421C-8230-1D137E394626.jpeg

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

This code was showing on my 2014 XLT Ford Explorer.

View attachment 174682

Can you get under the vehicle and check for holes/crack in exhaust? Hopefully you can and hopefully that's the cause. If not, likely need new O2 sensor

FYI, this code needs to be cleared after you have fixed. It won't self clear after the fix

2011 Explorer P0456 code 1 permanent?

Hey All,
I've worked on a lot of vehicles. When I got the code I banged on the evap purge and the light went out. It came back on a month later so I replaced the evap purge control valve. I hooked up the scanner and cleared the code and the engine warning light was off like it supposed to be. I ran a scan again and I got the PO456 code again, but it said 1 perminant? Ive never seen this code before. Is there anyone who has had this happen before. All answers are welcome. I checked and cleaned the fuel opening as well.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
The code is P0456, not PO455 and I believe you meant 1 permanent. I could not find what that means. P0456 means a small leak was detected. If the code came back, perhaps the purge valve wasn't the problem or you may have another leak.
This thread also mentions seeing "permanent" but no conclusion reached.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
The code is P0456, not PO455 and I believe you meant 1 permanent. I could not find what that means. P0456 means a small leak was detected. If the code came back, perhaps the purge valve wasn't the problem or you may have another leak.
This thread also mentions seeing "permanent" but no conclusion reached.

Peter
PO455? I cheched the connections and voltage going to the valve and the valve was bad. I'm unsure of the 1 Pemanent code. I'm going to check the lines for leaks.

Back