Newbie here needing help ** problem identified | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Newbie here needing help ** problem identified

Tazoez

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Explorer Base
Hello all... I recently bought a new to me 16 explorer base with a 2.3l ecoboost that had 39k for miles. I just started to have an issue with it that has stumped ford techs and I hope you all can help.
I have a "knocking" noise under acceleration starting between 2.5k and 3k rpm when drive. ( I will try and record and upload for everyone tomorrow)
If you are in park, no noise. The more throttle you give, the louder it gets. The techs hear it but have no clue. I've also had a puff of "brownish" color smoke that came from under the hood over the windshield when I was merging onto the highway. I didnt recognize the burn smell as something I have smelled before ** oil, coolant, etc.**. Finally, I had them do a fresh oil change at 1500ish miles on the oil because the oil was black. I noticed spitting from the dipstick and cap a couple days later. (I'm OCD, I check after every oil change to make sure the techs didnt spill and it was clean and cap/dipstick were tight)
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I traded my perfectly good F150 for this due to 3rd child on the way and I need a reliable vehicle for my kids.
Thank you all.
Patrick .
P.S. other than that issue, I so far love my explorer and my wife who has the exact same, except xlt, ecoboost 2.3 has been great

View attachment 174646

View attachment 174647

20191004_074828.jpg

20191009_203148.jpg

20191003_130914.jpg

20191003_130910.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For the knocking, try a tank of 93 Octane.

I've never seen a dipstick spit. That indicates air pressure in the sump, when it should be in vacuum. That could also be the source of the smoke you saw.

LOL I knew I forgot something... knocks the same if I use 87 or 93 octane.
Its definitely not spark knock sounding.
The moment I lift from the throttle the knock ends, even if rpms are still at 3k or higher (ford tech had me bring her up to 5k... I shuddered at that sound when I punched it). If I'm on the throttle barely ,or as I call it .. toeing it, you barely hear it.
It seems more throttle position related.
If it were my eclipse gsx, I'd be looking at the turbo boost gauge more but my base explorer doesn't have one .. (not sure if higher trims have one)

LOL I knew I forgot something... knocks the same if I use 87 or 93 octane.
Its definitely not spark knock sounding.
The moment I lift from the throttle the knock ends, even if rpms are still at 3k or higher (ford tech had me bring her up to 5k... I shuddered at that sound when I punched it). If I'm on the throttle barely ,or as I call it .. toeing it, you barely hear it.
It seems more throttle position related.
If it were my eclipse gsx, I'd be looking at the turbo boost gauge more but my base explorer doesn't have one .. (not sure if higher trims have one)
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
I'm by no means a mechanic but from what you are describing, I hope you received a warranty with the vehicle. If it's an engine issue then the 5 year, 60k mile Powertrain warranty should cover it.

Peter

7yr ... 100k mile bumper to bumper that started from the mileage that I bought at and time from point of my purchase

Was the dipstick pushed out at all?
Was the oil cap tight?
What does the knock sound like? Rod knock?

You should probably have the vehicle inspected. Oil blowback out of the disptick can be a sign of overfilling, poor crankcase ventilation, ring blowby, and/or head gasket issue. Crankcase should be at a slight vaccum, not pressurized.

What did the Carfax and vehicle service history tell you about the vehicle? You did review that info, didn't you?

You should probably have the vehicle inspected. Oil blowback out of the disptick can be a sign of overfilling, poor crankcase ventilation, ring blowby, and/or head gasket issue. Crankcase should be at a slight vaccum, not pressurized.

What did the Carfax and vehicle service history tell you about the vehicle? You did review that info, didn't you?

I reviewed Carfax before purchasing yes. No repairs were done under warranty that got reported and regular maintenance was completed by P.O. also 1 owner and no accidents reported (I know.. that part means nothing if vehicle was in accident and fixed with cash. They dont report).

I've had the vehicle at Ford 2x now for this and they are stumped. They have called "ford engineering " up and they aren't sure either.

I don't know much about these engines but do they have a pcv valve or something like that

It's screaming at me in the back of my head

If so I'd start it remove the dipstick and see if there is vacuum there

So after much aggravation... I took some advice and brought it to a different Ford dealership yesterday. Gave the same description.
I got a call at 9am this morning, not even 24 hrs, saying my vehicle was all set.
It took the tech 30min to diagnose the problem and confirm the noises.

Mind you, I had NO MIL at all or pending codes, and yet the tech found I wasn't building boost.... go figure.
NHTSA ID: 10109040 TSB ID: TSB 16-0122 Some 2016 explorer vehicles equipped with a 2.3l gtdi engine may exhibit an illuminated mil with a lack of power and diagnostic trouble code (dtc) p0299. this may be due to the turbocharger wastegate actuator rod coming disconnected

Clip_10.jpg

:snicker:Service-writer must have missed English class or Typing..........:hammer:

Welp
Back she goes again tomorrow
.. same noise as before and now feels as if the trans is slipping in 4 to 5 with a hard shift from 2 to 3.
Let's see what they come up with this time.

Back