• Register Today It's free!

Donald EUEGENE LEE

Reaction score
City, State
Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Merc
mountainer
Ok I just bought a 97 explorer with a 5.0. Now the rear pinion bearing going out how do I find the right bearing assemble or parts for the rebuild door tag says 3.73 LS. Want to put 32 tires on it was thinking 4.10 gears and locker but not sure what to get... Read some where about a "lunch box" locker setup did some reading just not exactly sure if it be what I need...any input is helpfully......thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anything that can go in a Mustang (up till about 2012 or so) can go in your rear.
What are you looking to do with the truck? There other options like Carbon Fiber, Torsen, etc.
Something that can lock up unpredictably can cause you to lose control in a turn. They aren't really for the street, but for rock climbing and stuff.

Ok so I ended up swap the complete rear out of another explorer from the junk yard but still want to rebuild mine with lower gears how hard is it to actually do. And org rear end was LSD NEW ONE ISNT. BUT HOW GOOD IS the factory unit. I do a lot of off roading and the LSD is nice a locker would be better im sure but what type elecrtic ,air. Detroit

It might seem pretty easy to rebuild a rear end based on swapping the parts involved, but there's a lot that goes into doing it right. Watch some YouTube videos on the subject and see if your skills are up to the task. Mustang videos are plentiful and the Mustang and Explorer 8.8's are the same internally.

Back