• Register Today It's free!

front wheel bearings @ 128k miles

Adam Janowski

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer, Police
hi all, no way to know if wheel bearings have ever been changed, but the old gal has gotten much louder at low speed - straight or turning - in the last 2k miles. I've never changed wheel bearings, but they're making all the sounds that I've always been told are indicative of need for new. at driving speeds i don't notice the noise, but rolling up to a stop - from 15mph down to a stop - it's quite a roar, with increases to the sounds when turning.

looking online for parts, the prices range wildly from way less than $100 to almost $200 for a hub assembly. anyone know why? new vs. reman?? anyway, any advise on parts that have worked well from someone whose done this job?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wheel bearings are often repacked. If you have a local auto parts store that stocks them, ask them to take a look at what is in the box to make sure it isn't Chinese junk before buying. Also, the oem supplier often resells to others, so you may see some or all of the markings ground out or laser etched to hide them.

You should be able to find a motorcraft, skf, or timken part for around $100-125 online.

Again, check the markings on the box and the part. Stay away from the junk.

hi again - so now i'm second guessing if the wheel bearings even being bad - are these goodyear tires just very loud? i have the 245/55/18 goodyear eagle ultra grip "cop" tires. they are directional and mounted correctly. the tread is between 80% and 90% by my guess with no noticable cupping or abnormal wear

i bought bearings but decided not to install yet.

jacked car up - tried feeling for slop by wiggling up and down on wheel as i've always read about. (NOT an experienced mechanic here..) no slop noticed

rotated pass side front to rear, putting the tire with lesser wear on front. drive again. sounded similar, but not grinding, rumbling, or any other noises that would indicate torn up bearings.

the sounds seems to decrease or stay the same with added speed. it's driving in a straight line from about 25mph down when i hear a low frequency "roar" type sound and it's amped up maybe 15% louder when turning, but sideloading a tire can do the same, right? i would think tires would be gradually quieter with reduction of speed and whell bearing would be differing tone. i don't notice any vibration in steering wheel or lumpy NHV like bearings are fallign apart - just a noise as described and when rolling straight or turning..

i know this borders on incoherent, but can anyone comment on tire noise or other insight on their experience vs. my attempt at describing mine?

Sounds a little like when I have my Winter tires on. Especially the turning part.

Peter

so..... are these tires winter tires?? i just looked them up on tire rack - sounds like they're winter tires.. duh??

i gotta go look - acting dumb.. feeling dumber..

so..... are these tires winter tires?? i just looked them up on tire rack - sounds like they're winter tires.. duh??

i gotta go look - acting dumb.. feeling dumber..
What is the tire name. Goodyear makes many tires?

Peter

Goodyear Ultra Grip 103T, they have a snowflake on the sidewall.
Took ours off and put Michelin Latitude Tour 105T on, including the spare.
Bought extra steel wheels for $85ea. and have a winter set of tires now.

Our PIU came from PA, so I could see the Ultra Grips being on it in November.

Did notice the Michelins are a quieter tire but not that the Ultra Grips were loud.

Goodyear pic 1
Michelin pic 2

Goodyear.jpg

Michelin.jpg

Bearing noise can be from internal pitting or impact damage to raceways. You can try using an auto stethoscope to see if you can hear any internal noise.

Don't know how I missed that.:banghead: Yes, Winter tire. Thanks.

Peter

Don't know how I missed that.:banghead: Yes, Winter tire. Thanks.

Peter
ditto - very silly for me to have not noticed. i looked at tread lots of times and said to self it looks like would be great in the rain with the "V" pattern..

yep, has M&S and the mountain / snowflake.

came from PA

although almost 90*F here in upstate NY in early October, I'll likely just leave them on through April and then see about quieter tires for the warmer months and swap twice a year.

Just to circle back, you bought a new set of rims and tires and determined it was just the original tires making the noise?

Just to circle back, you bought a new set of rims and tires and determined it was just the original tires making the noise?
no, setup is unchanged from how i bought it, 18'' steel wheels with polished or chrome center caps. 245 width goodyear snow tires and i was too aloof to realize they were as such. snow tires are loud and I'm not a bit worried about the wheel bearings at this time

no, setup is unchanged from how i bought it, 18'' steel wheels with polished or chrome center caps. 245 width goodyear snow tires and i was too aloof to realize they were as such. snow tires are loud and I'm not a bit worried about the wheel bearings at this time
Most Winter tires make some road noise. A lot depends on the type of tread. Good to know it's not a bearing issue.

Peter

Sorry, I guess I inadvertently confused the post above with tire pics as yours.

Back