Multiple suspension noises | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Multiple suspension noises

My ST has been in the shop for four weeks now. Still waiting on whether they fixed the clunking coming from the front like many others are hearing. Starting to regret buying one at this time. When I get word from the dealer ill post the info.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum Axles.:wave:

Peter

On this topic, I wonder if the bolts holding the lower suspension arms have loose through bolts, or too much clearance in the lower control arm bushings. You are correct that the noise, although subtle...comes from the front end suspension when going over bumps. We will find it in time. I will make it my mission to find this from now on and will update as soon as I do find it.

Does anyone expect Ford to fix this or the stupid portrait screen software ups.......no way IMO. Ford engineers and management have the same level of competence as a fast food burger flipper or worse yet a UM graduate!!!

Does anyone expect Ford to fix this or the stupid portrait screen software ups.......no way IMO. Ford engineers and management have the same level of competence as a fast food burger flipper or worse yet a UM graduate!!!

FE5A9A76-18EB-4070-BB42-F9615B7DAF5C.png

My strut tower brace/silver tube rattle is not the noise I've been hearing, and it's definitely in the lower suspension. Still making the noise. If nothing else, I guess I fixed a potential future noise! This is the tube that rattled when you banged against the strut brace.
IMG_2086.jpg

^ That's the high pressure A/C line.

It's unbelievable. Ford needs to do something about this annoying issue when driving over tiny bumps. They need to first admit that there is this issue. Otherwise, the ST is a beast.

Mine is still in the shop with 330 miles, 197 of which were not mine. Mine was built on 6/19 and the VIN is in the low 4,000's meaning it was one of the first ones off? It also has this annoying front end suspension rattle.

When I go back to the Service Department next week, I will take it and immediately test for the noise with a drive around the city block. If it is still there in ANY shape of form, it will be a short trip as I will return it to the dealership for the same problem - End of Strike #1...Hello Strike #2. I already have 7+ days of it being in the shop now out of the 10 days total that we have owned it.

If they can fix it, then OK. But if this problem persists, I will be marking the 'day in the shop requirement' and 'Number of attempts to fix requirement' to satisfy a complete legal buy back.

Having different cars at home, we have all the time and patience in the world now and we won't even bother using it to drive anywhere. This will result in no miles added except back and forth to the dealership to fix the problems. I expect that if this gets to a buy back situation, car will have less than 400 miles on it.

I have now adopted the opinion of "why should I personally have to track and trace down such issues after spending $ 60 K"? I was going to step up to the challenge and find this noise source, but I have since had a change of mind. If this keeps up, this car will not be spending much more time in with us unless these noises are completely eradicated, I don't mean not partially fixed.....I mean completely GONE!

In all honesty, I am experiencing the initial stages of deep remorse with this thing right now as a result of the multitude of other peeps who have this same issue......to be continued.

In all honesty, I am experiencing the initial stages of deep remorse with this thing right now as a result of the multitude of other peeps who have this same issue......to be continued.
I'm not trying to downplay this annoying problem but there are only about 5 members in this thread with the issue.

Peter

I'm not trying to downplay this annoying problem but there are only about 5 members in this thread with the issue.

Peter
Thank you Peter, and completely understood. I have also spoken to a neighbor who has just purchased one, and guess what...same exact issue which really suggests its more prevalent. We were going to by the Range Rover Velar, but went for this one because of the larger interior space and a $7K saving...although the cost difference between 60 and 67 now appears negligible. At any rate, clock is now ticking on this explorer, and depending on how much push back I get....anyway, its much easier to mark time and initiate the buy back if they cant fix it, than to keep messing with it. Its sad, very sad indeed, but as mentioned in other posts....better start looking at the bean counters at Ford. Thanks and regards /m

Thank you Peter, and completely understood. I have also spoken to a neighbor who has just purchased one, and guess what...same exact issue which really suggests its more prevalent. We were going to by the Range Rover Velar, but went for this one because of the larger interior space and a $7K saving...although the cost difference between 60 and 67 now appears negligible. At any rate, clock is now ticking on this explorer, and depending on how much push back I get....anyway, its much easier to mark time and initiate the buy back if they cant fix it, than to keep messing with it. Its sad, very sad indeed, but as mentioned in other posts....better start looking at the bean counters at Ford. Thanks and regards /m

If you paid $60k, you paid way too much.

Sticker was 62, actual 57...just rounding numbers

Ford will fix it. Once they hear this noise coming from front suspension, they will figure out the fault. Hopefully soon. We need to test drive other ST on dealer lots. You can test drive it on any street with a little bit of uneven surface or small bumps.

Peter
After four weeks of mine being in the shop for an unknown front end clunk and other quality issues, ford has some work to do for the lack of quality control they have. I will gladly trade you ST’s. Dealer says they have engineers looking into it now. Hopefully not the same ones who built it.

Mine is still in the shop with 330 miles, 197 of which were not mine. Mine was built on 6/19 and the VIN is in the low 4,000's meaning it was one of the first ones off? It also has this annoying front end suspension rattle.

When I go back to the Service Department next week, I will take it and immediately test for the noise with a drive around the city block. If it is still there in ANY shape of form, it will be a short trip as I will return it to the dealership for the same problem - End of Strike #1...Hello Strike #2. I already have 7+ days of it being in the shop now out of the 10 days total that we have owned it.

If they can fix it, then OK. But if this problem persists, I will be marking the 'day in the shop requirement' and 'Number of attempts to fix requirement' to satisfy a complete legal buy back.

Having different cars at home, we have all the time and patience in the world now and we won't even bother using it to drive anywhere. This will result in no miles added except back and forth to the dealership to fix the problems. I expect that if this gets to a buy back situation, car will have less than 400 miles on it.

I have now adopted the opinion of "why should I personally have to track and trace down such issues after spending $ 60 K"? I was going to step up to the challenge and find this noise source, but I have since had a change of mind. If this keeps up, this car will not be spending much more time in with us unless these noises are completely eradicated, I don't mean not partially fixed.....I mean completely GONE!

I agree with you 100%. If I get updates on the front end issue or buyback info ill let you know. Welcome to the frustration boat!

Peter
I have the issue, too. So make that six. It’s a subtle noise that I’ve been trying to live with. Now that I see so many others have it, it is definitely a bigger problem than I originally thought. I’ll mention it to the dealer at my next service.

...........I will gladly trade you ST’s.........
I don't have an ST, as my profile shows. I'd be possibly looking at the Platinum or Lincoln. Hope they get the problem figured out soon.

Peter

I guess I can be #7 but in all honesty, I figured it was normal. My 2011 made the exact same noise in the exact same places I frequently drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back