Tuning | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tuning

Stupid newbie question as I am not familiar to this tuning thing. Is the tune settings always on, or is it only turned on with sport mode?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stupid newbie question as I am not familiar to this tuning thing. Is the tune settings always on, or is it only turned on with sport mode?

Consider the tune a complete re-calibration of the engine management computer software and it’s fuel, timing, shifting... how much the programming alters from stock is tune specific. Some tunes may alter from stock or have more pronounced changes in some drive modes than others.

ok, thanks. I just wondered how that affects the other modes. From what i'm seeing on some FB groups, it seems you need to have the tune and a high performance fuel pump to really get the most benefit.

I like the idea of more horsepower, but still on the fence. Ill prob wait a few months to see what if any issues come out of tuning the ST.

I've been listening to the old 3.5L sport videos on youtube to get an idea on sound.

New E85 tune with hi perf fuel pump from the guys in neck of the woods. Talking 12.2 qtr mile / 3.9 0-60. Wow

That, I would be worried about something breaking. Cool though.

Extremely impressive but would love to know how long till the trans grenades

Extremely impressive but would love to know how long till the trans grenades

Yeah, I don't know how much design margin that tranny has. If you are pushing close to 50% increase in power through it there might be an issue!

Excellent results.

Keep the fluids in it like new, replace with the best available, and monitor all of it regularly.

I'm still aiming for the original 3.0T platform the engine started in, the 2017 MKZ. I do wish it was a RWD biased car, instead of FWD biased. The MKZ is very squirrely at the stock 400hp level, any tuning makes them worse.

The ST engine is bullet proof but turbos might need to be changed after like 120K miles. Depending on how you drive.

I didnt say anything about the engine, I said the trans.

No one knows the limit of the 10r60, yet...

No one knows the limit of the 10r60, yet...

Only the design engineers will know the life of the gearing (and the torque transfer limits for life) because the of the structural FEA analysis that would have been done for the design. In the turbine world there are standard design margins we use for all components in the system. However, I am not an automotive transmission design engineer so your guess is as good as mine for how much torque it can take and how long a life it would have with higher torque transmission.

Only the design engineers will know the life of the gearing (and the torque transfer limits for life) because the of the structural FEA analysis that would have been done for the design. In the turbine world there are standard design margins we use for all components in the system. However, I am not an automotive transmission design engineer so your guess is as good as mine for how much torque it can take and how long a life it would have with higher torque transmission.

The name designation of the transmission defines the engineer's opinion of the limits of the trans. "They" say the 10R60 is capable of handling 600lbft of torque, that's what the "60" in the name means. I know nothing about that trans, so it comes down to real world examples.

The old four speed 4R70 is supposed to be able to handle 700lbft of torque, ... and as we know those are seeing well over that on the track. My point is the stock trans is made for those levels, in stock form, in their opinion. Reality proves them wrong most of the time, the actual limits of a trans, is different from their opinion.

The recent 6R60 and 6R80 models have proven to be very strong in stock form, scary fast Mustangs are on the track with them now, see the videos.

Time will tell how good the new 10 speed is, real world testing, not the Ford engineer's opinions.

^ 600 Nm, not ft-lb. So about 450 ft-lbs.

^ 600 Nm, not ft-lb. So about 450 ft-lbs.

When did the rule of thumb change to metric? I bet the tuned Explorers are well over that already.

So for those of you that have been doing tunes, do you detune it every time you take it in for service? Or better yet, is your dealership on board with the tuning? Or do you just leave things be because they can find out you have had a tune after the fact anyways?

The Livernois tune looks very exciting to me, just nervous about dealer blowback if something goes sideways. Like others, will likely lurk for a bit and observe the experience of the early adopters. Besides with the snow arriving tomorrow extra HP won’t be of much use for a good 6 months now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am still awaiting delivery of my 2020 Platinum, wondering what kind of a performance increase I could expect from the Livernois tune?

Back