• Register Today It's free!

Broken center console latch

Ferretkingdom

Reaction score
City, State
LEHIGH ACRES
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Limited
The latch on the lid of the center console of my 18 Ex broke tonight. the latch itself isn't actually broken, but the rod/spring that hold it in place came apart I guess, so it's all floppy.

Is there any way to fix this without replacing the whole lid? I searched the forum and online but didn't find much useful info for the style/model year of mine, and a part's search gave me nothing other than replacing the whole lid.

20191009_205212.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recall posts about the media hub latch spring issue but not on the console latch/lid. It appears as though you may have to replace the entire lid and prices for that seem to be all over the place depending upon part numbers.

Peter

Maybe you can disassemble it and, if you're lucky, just replace the spring inside with one from hardware store?

Maybe you can disassemble it and, if you're lucky, just replace the spring inside with one from hardware store?

I can't even figure out how it comes apart. I'm guessing it's all plastic clips as I see no screws, but I'm afraid it'll break more pulling it apart.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Thanks for the video.

Peter

The latch on the lid of the center console of my 18 Ex broke tonight. the latch itself isn't actually broken, but the rod/spring that hold it in place came apart I guess, so it's all floppy.

Is there any way to fix this without replacing the whole lid? I searched the forum and online but didn't find much useful info for the style/model year of mine, and a part's search gave me nothing other than replacing the whole lid.

View attachment 174656
The latch on my '17 XLT broke too, but it was fixed under warranty. They replaced the whole lid.

The latch on my '17 XLT broke too, but it was fixed under warranty. They replaced the whole lid.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Took a while for your first post.;)
Under warranty replacing the lid is probably the easiest and quickest way to do it.

Peter

Back