2003 Sport Trac - Fuel Tank Hose Info- slow Fill Problem (cont) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2003 Sport Trac - Fuel Tank Hose Info- slow Fill Problem (cont)

Art Mann

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Sport Trac
Am trying to track down the slow fill problem for the last 2 days.

1 Have removed fuel filler and screen is clean

2 Passed fuel thru the filler tube and it passes fuel fine - no obstruction in the 2" diameter filler neck or tube that connects to the inlet at fuel tank under bed.

3 removed hose running from under rear drivers side wheel well from vapor canister - it is clear left unattached for testing

4 removed vapor "pipe" that has blue connector ( see image) that tees into the suction air breather/suction tube that runs up to the filler mouth.

5 Internal check valve inside 2" plastic neck on tank is open and movable by sticking finger into neck

Basically, trying to create an open vent on to tank to see if it will fill.

No Joy - Still slow fill

Question?? ...
Forward of that blue fitting/pipe (see image) , is there another vapor vent valve ( called shut off valve in the youtube part of the attached image). Maybe I need to drop tank to get to it?

I blew air toward tank thru the place where this blue fitting connects and also sucked air out of it so I thought everything was opened up, but still slow fill.

Ideas??

2019-10-05_6-45-46.png

2019-10-04_22-22-17.png

It's your fuel vapor purge canister. It is in the engine compartment, right behind the battery. Had this happen on my '05 Sport Trac. I had 2 symptoms, slow fueling and also hard to start after a fuel-up. Slow fueling was the first symptom, hard starting after fuel-up started later. I was also getting a slight fuel smell in the engine compartment around the purge valve.

It's your fuel vapor purge canister. It is in the engine compartment, right behind the battery. Had this happen on my '05 Sport Trac. I had 2 symptoms, slow fueling and also hard to start after a fuel-up. Slow fueling was the first symptom, hard starting after fuel-up started later. I was also getting a slight fuel smell in the engine compartment around the purge valve.

Ill keep this in mind going forward if I start having "after fuel" startup issues. For now after the opening of the pipe. It takes gas just like new. See my latest NEW post,,

2004 Explorer Sport Trac - Slow Fuel Fill [SOLVED]

Some of the Exs had a separate tube (hose) that ran from the tank to just below
the filler neck. If that hose collapses, well you know what problem that creates.

Back