• Register Today It's free!

Vacuum Reservoir? HELP!

Chef Sharkos

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
2000 Explorer SOHC. Was doing spark plugs and wires and snapped a vacuum line attached to a vacuum reservoir. It’s like a ball thing inside the fender liner under the airbox. Need to find the new hoses/lines.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks like this

505BBEB4-B20D-435F-BA8C-4B5EC104F8C1.jpeg

That ball basically stores vacuum pressure so when you accelerate and manifold vacuum goes down the ac actuator will hold steady - we repair those line most often with just the right diameter hose splicing the breAk - don’t know why you would need to replace the ball
Unless it’s cracked - see if it will hold a vacum

The ball is fine. I need the new lines, the lines cracked

Local auto parts store vacuum line repair kit

Or junk yard

Local auto parts store vacuum line repair kit

Or junk yard

You don’t think they sell new ones anywhere, or even the full harness? Not sure if junk yard would help because the lines actually broke because they are very brittle. It’s like a spaghetti noodle lol

Do the lines pull out of the rubber boots? Don't try TOO hard and break them further, because if they don't then you could just get a piece of rubber hose with the right inner diameter to splice it, but if they do come out of the boots then you should be able to buy the same size vac line at an auto parts store, probably on a spool behind the counter so take the line there for a size comparison. For example:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/shop/b/...64/bulk-hose---vacuum-hose-18167/4334bfa73101

They may be less brittle if warmed up a bit.

Get small rubber vacuum line from auto parts store, use it to splice the broken bits
@J C is correct that is the simple repair and we have to do this alot as the plastic POS vacuum lines get brittle and snap

You can purchase new plastic line at the auto parts stores (be sure to get the right diameter if you do), but as said most people just splice broken lines back together with a short piece of rubber vacuum line of the appropriate diameter. My AutoZone keeps a box of short scrap pieces of left over vacuum line that they'll let you have for free. If possible take a piece of broken plastic line with you for getting the size needed.

@Chef Sharkos

The yellow/red/green hard plastic lines breaking issue has been brought up over the years,and I kept the link provided by a guy that identified the material and sourced some.

The product you're looking for is Polyethylene Plastic Tubing and it's marketed as Polyflow.

CLICK ON BLUE COLORED LINK: Polyflow tubing - Google Search

Goodyear Product Link: https://www.goodyearrubberproducts....0/ParkerParflexCatalog4660examin1.Page182.pdf

It costs big dollars due to the size roll it's sold in.

You might have luck on Ebay, Amazon, Grainger, McMaster-Carr with regards to smaller quantity.

I suggest as others have, splicing the break in the line with a piece of small inner diameter rubber hose

Hope that helps!

Thank you everyone. I’ll try the splicing method

Back