Fuel gauge, empty on start up, slowly goes up, intermittent problem... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gauge, empty on start up, slowly goes up, intermittent problem...

dacaur2

Reaction score
City, State
eagle mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 explorer XLT
I have owned my explorer for about 2.5 years at this point. Today was the third time its done this.

I will get in and start it, to be greeted by a low fuel chime, it reads 0 miles to empty, and the gas gauge is pegged at empty. Only problem is I know I have plenty of fuel. So i start driving, and over the course of about 20 miles or so the gauge will slowly go up, with the "miles to empty" readout updating to higher and higher miles as it goes. It only does it the one time, then it will work perfectly for months.

The first two times It happened after work, this time it happened in the morning before work. Only this time it didn't go back up. I got to work (20 mile drive) and it still said 0 miles to empty. The gauge did slowly move up to about halfway betwen the red empty and 1/4 tank.... I know I have at least 1/2 tank.....

No CEL or anything like that.

Anyone had anything similar?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have owned my explorer for about 2.5 years at this point. Today was the third time its done this.

I will get in and start it, to be greeted by a low fuel chime, it reads 0 miles to empty, and the gas gauge is pegged at empty. Only problem is I know I have plenty of fuel. So i start driving, and over the course of about 20 miles or so the gauge will slowly go up, with the "miles to empty" readout updating to higher and higher miles as it goes. It only does it the one time, then it will work perfectly for months.

The first two times It happened after work, this time it happened in the morning before work. Only this time it didn't go back up. I got to work (20 mile drive) and it still said 0 miles to empty. The gauge did slowly move up to about halfway betwen the red empty and 1/4 tank.... I know I have at least 1/2 tank.....

No CEL or anything like that.

Anyone had anything similar?

Same here, hoping someone has an answer or a fix for this problem.

Had that happen last winter when I remote started my car except the gauge went back up once I turned the key to on and stepped on the brake to deactive the remote start timer. I my situation it was really cold 10 degrees f or less with 3/4 tank and only happened once. I did scan for codes and got one but I don't remember the code number. It hasn't happened again so I didn't worry about it.

I had no cel or other light when I scanned for codes so it might be a good idea to scan for codes just to see.

Well the code came up again today but I did not see the fuel gauge problem this time and no check engine.

B1203 - Fuel sender circuit failure is the code and you need a code reader that can read the body control module.

The fuel level sender is inside the fuel pump. Not sure if you can replace/repair the sender only or need to replace the pump, but that's the issue.

Back