Weird intermittent dying issue. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird intermittent dying issue.

The issue seems to only happen in the summer heat after the trucks hot. I’m not convinced it’s not a wire or connection that’s compromised just enough that when it gets hot the resistance goes up and causes the sudden power loss.
A couple points:
1) Corrected: if you lose power, the freeze frame info will be erased.... (new vehicles have non-volatile memory, but our 20-year old Ex's don't.)
2) Copper resistivity goes up about 0.2% per degree F. Which means that your battery wire, which perhaps drops 0.1 Volt when it's very cold, drops a whopping 0.12 Volt when the temperature goes up 100 deg. Not enough to make any meaningful difference. On the other hand, an iffy contact may turn to a complete disconnect when something gets hot. For example, I'd check the tightness of the screws holding the megafuse (attached to the power box under the hood) or of the bolt that attaches the battery ground wire to the frame. And as someone already mentioned, I'd also suspect those setscrews on the battery clamps - a bad, aftermarket design that depends on the tension in that screw, which may easily loosen when hot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My two cents... Over the years (more than I care to admit) any time one of my vehicles has suffered a complete loss of power with a good battery it has been battery terminal or battery cable related. I can't say exactly how many times I've seen this happen, but I'd guess it's happened at least 15-20 times, so it's pretty common. Make sure your cables are clean and tight (at both ends) and if your cables are suspect - replace them.

While worthwhile to change the filter because I don’t know if it’s ever been done, that really wouldn’t explain the whole vehicle power loss. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far everyone. I appreciate all of the input.

While worthwhile to change the filter because I don’t know if it’s ever been done, that really wouldn’t explain the whole vehicle power loss. Thanks for all of the suggestions so far everyone. I appreciate all of the input.

No cel when this happens. I do agree and understand all you have said 1998exp. I’ve checked the battery connection several times and they’re good every time. I’m considering buying new factory complete battery cables just to eliminate them as a possible failure point. I’ll check the mega fuse screws again to. Is there any way that that fuse could be causing this? Seems to me it’s either good or bad.

. Is there any way that that fuse could be causing this? Seems to me it’s either good or bad
May have corrosion. Just like the battery

NO CORROSION. None. Ever. At the battery or the terminals or the mega fuse.

So several of you have said that the ground cable goes to the frame. Where? I have 2 x’s in my driveway and neither one does the ground go to the frame. There’s a small wire right of the battery terminal that goes to a stud on the core support close to the battery. But the big ground wire going down to near the frame rail goes to a stud on the front of the block near the oil filter. Where is this chassis ground? I would think there would be a large battery to chassis ground, one that is much larger than the one just off the battery to the body on the core support.

I'm also chasing a similar problem as you. I'm pretty positive something is heat soaking, as it drives great for my regular 30min drive to work(even in the summer), or as long as I don't park and turn it off for more then five minutes. But if I make that stop i start experiencing what seems to me as a loss of fuel. If I'm idle when it starts to chug it generally dies no matter what I do, starts right back up no problem for 5secs then chugs again I can generally keep it alive by holding the gas down alil keeping the room above 2k until I feel the motor pick back up after 10secs, and shes fine again as long a I dont sit idle for longer then a min. When I bought it I was also chasing a huge intake leak causing rough idle, and after replacing all gaskets on the way to the lower intake, she ran grear for a few weeks until one pesky day she tried to die again. Letting me know its prob a weak fuel pump related thing, as I have already replaced most sensors under the hood along with the fuel filter, and plugs since I bought the explorer with 220k miles barely able to idle. Injector o rings got replaced with intake aswell, MAF and fuel pump are the only things I haven't replaced really. So I'd suggest looking into dropping the tank an swapping the pump, I'll get it done eventually, been addressing a possible cracked head cause I haven't had problems in a while with just my drive to work and it's gotten much cooler now.

Back