Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear Suspension Toe Link Recall

So I had this recall completed. Prior to the recall I just put 4 new tires on and had a 4 wheel alignment done. The vehicle felt great, straight, and planted. After the recall the rear end was wandering and when hitting a bump the rear end would seem to skip/hop. I don’t have much confidence in the shop so I got under and checked. They didn’t even torque the tow link nuts, they were less than finger tight. I also believe the car is riding a little higher in the rear making me think they didn’t measure the ride height prior to the work or didn’t bother putting it back to specs. I measured a buddy’s Explorer and his rides 1/2-3/4 inch lower in the rear. Does anyone know the stock ride height specifications for a 5th gen 2014 Ford Explorer awd limited? And find them anywhere. The suspension didn’t feel nearly as plus making me think the higher ride height might be contribution plus a lack of alignment, etc.

When I got home from getting the recall done on my 2014, I slid under and noticed that on one side the jam (check) nut wasn't tightened at all. I called the dealership and told them about it and had to drive all the way back over. I asked for a free 4 wheel alignment as a concession and the service manager agreed to it. Couple of days later, a lady from the dealership called and apologized and offered free oil change and tire rotation. In your case, it sounds like they didn't set the ride height adjustment correctly as well. I'd ask for a 4 wheel alignment at no charge at a minimum as a concession for the shoddy work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

See the following. It also shows how to check if your vehicle is on the list.
Ford Explorer Recalled for Suspension Problem
Vehicles recalled: 2011-17 Ford Explorer built at the Chicago assembly plant from May 17, 2010, to Jan. 25, 2017.

Peter
This is my point, the way that I read the vehicles recalled statement above, says that all 5th gens are affected. That is false. How do you interpret the statement?

This is my point, the way that I read the vehicles recalled statement above, says that all 5th gens are affected. That is false. How do you interpret the statement?

Go to NHTSA website and enter your VIN. Will tell you any open recalls. I did and mine showed up as being part of the recall and still open (I haven't had it done yet).

Same way.

If you are interested in ditching the OE toe links ... Steeda now has an aftermarket solution:

Steeda Explorer Adjustable Toe Links are now in-stock for the 2011+ Explorers! Replace the factory toe links with these stout units featuring 4140 chrome moly adjuster and urethane bushings offering no increase in NVH! These are covered under Steeda's lifetime warranty.

73154444_2529320720493587_3245055166033952768_n.jpg

73151920_2529324283826564_3480018296923750400_n.jpg

Today the left REPLACED! Toe link broke. Just while normal highway braking in front of a traffic light. We drove around 4000 km / 2500 mi since the change.

CDD407CA-1481-478C-AA80-C0365E9CD36A.jpeg

10EBE2A0-ACFC-4DAB-8366-38B9D88E08C6.jpeg

The suffix J is the Toe Link Kit. This includes screws and both links.
Someone from USA posted a photo as far as I remember this shows the CE suffix as well.

My guessing is, they tightened the screws with the car on the hoist, instead while sitting on the ground.

Tire howl after Safety Recall Notice 19S17 work?

I recently took my 2012 Explorer in to have the rear suspension toe links replaced due to Safety Recall Notice 19S17. Since the work was completed, I now have a howling noise in the rear end. I initially suspected a hub bearing, but the noise does not seem to be associated with one side or the other and neither of the rear hubs is warm after highway driving. It seems to be more tire noise than a bearing and I suspected it might have something to do with the rear alignment after the recall work was performed. I called the Ford dealer service area to report the problem and he immediately told me its probably a hub bearing. He told me the recall work had to be completed properly and the alignment done to factory specs in order to get paid from Ford (yada, yada, yada). Has anybody had a similar experience or have thoughts on what might be causing the tire howl? Your help is much appreciated.

If you believe the noise is from the tires, it could be because they changed the alignment and how the currently worn tires are now interacting with the road. Basically, the tires will have to "wear into" the new alignment.

If you have a shop/chain in your area that does free alignment checks, you could always spend the time confirming alignment and then going back to dealer if necessary.

So I had this recall completed. Prior to the recall I just put 4 new tires on and had a 4 wheel alignment done. The vehicle felt great, straight, and planted. After the recall the rear end was wandering and when hitting a bump the rear end would seem to skip/hop. I don’t have much confidence in the shop so I got under and checked. They didn’t even torque the tow link nuts, they were less than finger tight. I also believe the car is riding a little higher in the rear making me think they didn’t measure the ride height prior to the work or didn’t bother putting it back to specs. I measured a buddy’s Explorer and his rides 1/2-3/4 inch lower in the rear. Does anyone know the stock ride height specifications for a 5th gen 2014 Ford Explorer awd limited? And find them anywhere. The suspension didn’t feel nearly as plus making me think the higher ride height might be contribution plus a lack of alignment, etc.
Any update to this post? Did you take it back to the dealer?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum rvexplorer.:wave:
There have been no similar complaints after the toe links were replaced. As KayGee commented, it could be the tires if they were worn due to a previous misalignment.

Peter

Tire howl after Safety Recall Notice 19S17 work?

Has anybody had a similar experience or have thoughts on what might be causing the tire howl? Your help is much appreciated.

Yes we had the same exerience. Our rear OEM tires are almost worn down to the minimum and the tire noise increased significatly after the change. We are currently waiting for the new tires to arrive mid November.

Hello!
Today I got my Explorer back.

The dealer was very courteous, while my wife picked the car up. I didn't have to pay anything nor for work, parts or rental car.

At home I took a look, and I know why. They replaced the wrong link with the correct part.

In the first step, they exchanged the BB5Z-5500-A solid arm with the "Toe Link". The toe link is shorter than the trailing arm, therefor it broke after 2500mi

I took a picture. Now they replaced the trailing arm, with a new trailing arm, and in the end, they replaced the toe links as intended in the recall.

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8766(1).jpg

Hi everyone, I haven’t introduced myself yet but I have been a member and have creeped on the forums for sometime now since obtaining our exploder in June of this year.

I have encountered a problem where with the vehicle purchase (2013 with 92,000) and new tires/alignment when purchased, I had the recall performed a few months later as well with in oil change and tire rotation. This was performed around 96,000 miles and now around 100,000 in the rear tires are shot due to inward toe wear. Per the work performed it is mentioned that per the Ford FSA an alignment was not needed, these were basically brand new tires and now I have to replace all four. The tires that were originally on the rear and changed to the front at 96,000 miles are perfect so I know that there was no inward toe issue before the recall service was performed.

Does someone have a copy of this FSA because I really feel that there should’ve been an alignment done.

The issue now pertains that Ford will not honor new tire as I do not have a tire wear warranty type ‘ Program’. Really it should be the dealer that faces the issue since they performed the work and did not do an alignment after the rear toe links were installed. The service manager denied it and the general manager or also the owner said that your vehicle is too high of mileage so I am not honoring that. Basically I am screwed and have to pay for new tires, Mount\balance, and alignment, where are the tires were brand new in June. I probably have to take them to small claims court but I need proof that the FSA does call for an alignment, the press release says “align quote but I don’t know if that is enough to hold up in court.

EB17D4C9-CC30-49D6-AE5D-6994B8D1B913.jpeg

ECF08BD3-2A29-4D39-8AB7-B68EF981FD56.jpeg

1E8A8800-834B-443C-9B73-1A13C2DAAA06.jpeg

I recall it saying a rear alignment was required after the toe link replacement. Any dealer should know you have to do an alignment if you replace these. I would definitely threaten to sue them. They'll give, because they know they were in the wrong.

On mine they checked the alignment and did a 4 wheel alignment at a discount.

I don't believe that a alignment was part of the work for the recall. But it should of been.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi everyone, I haven’t introduced myself yet but I have been a member and have creeped on the forums for sometime now since obtaining our exploder in June of this year.

I have encountered a problem where with the vehicle purchase (2013 with 92,000) and new tires/alignment when purchased, I had the recall performed a few months later as well with in oil change and tire rotation. This was performed around 96,000 miles and now around 100,000 in the rear tires are shot due to inward toe wear. Per the work performed it is mentioned that per the Ford FSA an alignment was not needed, these were basically brand new tires and now I have to replace all four. The tires that were originally on the rear and changed to the front at 96,000 miles are perfect so I know that there was no inward toe issue before the recall service was performed.

Does someone have a copy of this FSA because I really feel that there should’ve been an alignment done.

The issue now pertains that Ford will not honor new tire as I do not have a tire wear warranty type ‘ Program’. Really it should be the dealer that faces the issue since they performed the work and did not do an alignment after the rear toe links were installed. The service manager denied it and the general manager or also the owner said that your vehicle is too high of mileage so I am not honoring that. Basically I am screwed and have to pay for new tires, Mount\balance, and alignment, where are the tires were brand new in June. I probably have to take them to small claims court but I need proof that the FSA does call for an alignment, the press release says “align quote but I don’t know if that is enough to hold up in court.
It was a Recall. See post #95 where it mentions an alignment if necessary. Here is the initial recall but it does not mention an alignment. Combined Recalls for 2011+ Explorer models
When I had mine done, the dealer did a 4 wheel alignment at no charge.

Peter

Back