What did YOU do to your Explorer today? | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What did YOU do to your Explorer today?

I changed the oil on the Pumpkin today. I started last week, but couldn't get the oil filter off with any of the wrenches I had. I found an oil filter chain wrench that did the job. Phew... I was getting worried for awhile. LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ordered a Throttle Position Sensor, Mass Airflow Sensor and Fuel Pressure Regulator.

Code 172 running rich. Tried 02 sensor and Vaccum leaks. But this weekend Ima look for intake gasket leaks.

Replaced a fuel pressure regulator with a used one bevause I didn't wanna wait....

Now I know I ordered a new MAF and TPS for no heckin reason...

Then found some snow and did some donuts because now I have "power"

Snapchat-1641408619.jpg

Replaced the auto dim 2nd gen rear view mirror that was stuck in "dim" mode with one from the proper year. I really like the older ones where I can turn the dim and the auto lamp features off separately and force the dim mode. Pictures are from google search

'93 - early '96 mirror

94 Auto Dim rearview mirror.jpg

Late '96 - 01 mirror
98 auto dim mirror.jpg

What's nice is you should be able to use the early model on the 2nd gens as the overhead console I am using is out of 2nd gen.

I was at the salvage yard, and found a 93 Explorer in amazing condition, a little front end damage was all that out it there. 150k kilometers, I grabbed a bunch of trim panels and stuff for mine.

Was able to do a fluid/filter change on the trans this past weekend. Only 106k miles on it. Was easy enough.

The weather was nice this past weekend so it was a good time to address the leaking driver's-side rear window.
Pulled the glass out and the old ribbon seal was pretty hard.
oG8EXmKafqvjBdQhgPX9sTmQ40TEHv7zmsn9yscEX9sA=w2400.jpg

Bought some 5/16" 3M Window-Weld ribbon sealer from NAPA and got the glass and body areas all cleaned up. Replaced the glass and so far, looks pretty good! About 1.5 hrs total.

jbJD8Fxk3FW-M7TKj3dP9nWogWq_0gsM1-b6jVdCF5fQ=w2400.jpg

Today I am doing rear brakes: Drums, shoes, spring kit, wheel cylinders. Also replacing axle bearings and seals while I am in there. Waiting for the wheel cylinders from the parts store, so I am stuck until then. Want to one side at a time in case I forget the locations of all the springs and stuff.

Ended up with a mushy pedal. Bled repeatedly using 2 person method, no dice.
Read a bunch of posts here using the search function.
There were a ton of dead ends but most here said to drive on a rough surface and hit the brakes hard to activate the ABS to flush it. I actually have a Ford factory ABS flush tool but it did not fit my explorer.
Did that a bunch of times and the pedal would return but then get mushy again.
After activating the ABS like 5 times, rebled using a pressure bleeder and got a little more air out and now everything is great same as before.
Decided to try and flush the fronts too, flushed a bunch of crappy fluid out but left bleeder was seized so could not flush that corner. I’ll get new calipers in the spring.

Installed new rear shocks today, Monroe sensa trac load adjusting. Was kind of a pain to get them to fit but managed it ok. Ride is much improved and quieter.
Then noticed battery was a little loose, went to tighten, snapped the hold down bolt.
FML
Had to drill it out and use a regular bolt and nut for now.
I’ll have to figure out how to deal with that at a later time.

Ah, I was just looking at that yesterday when I pulled my battery for the winter. I'd think about a nut with a U-shaped retaining clip.

I put mine up for winter yesterday, filled with fresh gas, parked it and pulled the battery to sit on a maintenance charger for the winter. My intent has been to use it as a back-up to my newer 4x4, but I discovered on the way to the gas station that the 4x4 dashboard switches no longer work. I'll have to diagnose that next spring, or sooner if my newer vehicle has a problem, I guess.

My plan is to weld a nut onto the top of the batt tray, then drill an oversized hole in the plastic piece to clear the nut

Diagnosed my blower motor stuck on high issue. Turned out to be an issue with the blower motor controller.

Little melty
IMG_20191127_163034_01.jpg

More melty
IMG_20191127_163148_01.jpg

This what the inside of the controller looked like. Yikes!
IMG_20191127_163730.jpg

Can’t tell you how many of those connectors I have changed in Econoline vans. The connectors, the resistors, the switches etc end up burning up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Today I am doing rear brakes: Drums, shoes, spring kit, wheel cylinders. Also replacing axle bearings and seals while I am in there. Waiting for the wheel cylinders from the parts store, so I am stuck until then. Want to one side at a time in case I forget the locations of all the springs and stuff.

Cellphone cameras are your friend here. :)

Back