Disabling 2nd row seat belt airbags | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Disabling 2nd row seat belt airbags

MrPlat

Reaction score
City, State
Mills River, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Platinum
Is there a way to disable these via software? I have a car seat in the 2nd row, and I don't want the seatbelts inflating since the seat belt runs through the back of the car seat and could cause serious damage to the seat and my kid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't the car seat use the latch system?

Doesn't the car seat use the latch system?
It does, but it also recommends using the seat belt for added stability in case of a side impact.

I know this thread is a little old, but I have the answer, I think.
The seat has sensor that will prevent belt air bag from being triggered if the weight is not reach. Similar as passager front seat. Had the same question/concern. I had to go 2-3 times to the dealer to get the damn wiring/plug fix.

In reading the Owner's Manual, it seems only the front passenger seat is fitted with an occupant sensor. This is what the Manual says about the inflatable 2nd row seatbelt and child seats.
Note: The rear inflatable seatbelts are
compatible with most infant and child
safety car seats and belt positioning booster
seats when you properly install them. This
is because they are designed to fill with a
cooled gas at a lower pressure and at a
slower rate than traditional airbags. After
inflation, the shoulder portion of the
seatbelt remains cool to the touch.

The 2020 Explorer/Aviator has a sensor for each seatbelt position and shows in the dash whether they are fastened when the seat is occupied.

Peter

I'd be interested in disabling them too since I get the DTC when I move the seat in the forward position to allow more room to access the 3rd row. the DTC itself will turn off if I pop the seat forward and sit it back down.

BTW I do use the seatbelt for my 3yo son's car seat.

I'd be interested in disabling them too since I get the DTC when I move the seat in the forward position to allow more room to access the 3rd row. the DTC itself will turn off if I pop the seat forward and sit it back down.

BTW I do use the seatbelt for my 3yo son's car seat.
Had the same problem: when I moved the seat, the airbag warning error got tripped. They fixed it under warranty1-2 times, but last time the tech told me it is a common issue and "that he heard that people" bypass the plug and hardwire the cable. He did.

BTW, if I recall properly, airbag and related things are covered by a 5y warranty. So might want to do it after expiration ;)

And you may be curious to go thru this thread: How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

Had the same problem: when I moved the seat, the airbag warning error got tripped. They fixed it under warranty1-2 times, but last time the tech told me it is a common issue and "that he heard that people" bypass the plug and hardwire the cable. He did.

BTW, if I recall properly, airbag and related things are covered by a 5y warranty. So might want to do it after expiration ;)

And you may be curious to go thru this thread: How many people have had the airbag warning light activate

My vehicle is a 2014 so it's outside of any 5 year warranty related.

I just ignore it until I get out and flip the seat up and down.

Back