DPFE black plastic vs aluminum units different outputs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DPFE black plastic vs aluminum units different outputs

1993Saturn

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
93, 99 Bauer 4x4
I was thinking about replacing the DPFE unit just because it has been there for at least 10 years. I want to catch it before it goes bad. I try to catch things before they happen, not after (although I haven't been doing so well in that area recently). The Haynes on 6-26 #19 "Backprobe the SIG and GND...therefore the voltage should be approximately 0.75 - 1.25 volts (black plastic housing type) or 0.34 - 0.8 volts (aluminum housing type). As the engine starts to warm and EGR is signaled by the computer, voltage values should increase to approximately 4.0 - 6.0 volts." This shows conflicting information that can be sent to the computer by each of the 2 different DPFE types. If each type starts out producing different voltages, how can the computer respond correctly to the black plastic unit when it was set for the original aluminum voltage output. So, is this a problem when changing types of DPFEs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not had that problem
I know some of them have a round wiring plug and some of them are D shaped.
As long as you swap the correct one in there I have never had an issue going from metal body to plastic body (D shaped wiring plug)

I have never tested the DPFE as described above because they are too easy to replace and problematic
I have some in a cabinet down in the shop (known good ones) so I just swap them
the metal ones plug up inside, the plastic ones not nearly as much
the PCM will tell you if the DPFE is working or not, after checking the fuses, wiring and plumbing then its time to replace.

Ok. So long as a plastic one has the right plug shape, then go with it. Don't think they make the metal ones anymore anyway

The DPFE sensor is only one of many inputs for correct AFR of the engine.

The entire algorithm that is written should be smart enough to compensate for minor variations in output voltage.

However, I do understand your concern.

The DPFE sensor is only one of many inputs for correct AFR of the engine.

The entire algorithm that is written should be smart enough to compensate for minor variations in output voltage.

However, I do understand your concern.
@shucker1
The DPFE is a proportion determining device, thus the starting point output when key-on occurs should be captured output-wise then, as you said (if the programmers are savvy enough). imp

Maybe then the 2 different devices start outputting different voltages, but when it comes to the time expected for engaging the EGR valve, they both will come to the same output voltage at the same time, so down for the count, it doesn't matter which unit is used. So, I suppose this pontificating on a perplexing ponderment has now popped it's last cork. Thanks folks for your input. I just bought a plastic unit to replace my metal one with no worries about it's capabilities.

Back