Rattle/buzzing noise from passenger front speaker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rattle/buzzing noise from passenger front speaker

Zeromarine

Reaction score
City, State
Kamloops B.C
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport Trac xlt
Hey everyone
On my 2002 sport trac
I just noticed today songs with low bass or certain frequency’s I notice the passenger front speaker has a vibrate/buzzing noise. Seems to be only with certain songs.
Any idea what I could be ? Loose speaker ? Wire rattle on it ? Blown speaker ?
It just started yesterday. thanks everyone !

From my experience with loud music and cheap speakers (my other car, not the Explorer), it sounds as if the speaker is torn or ripped and under deep bass the speakers buzz. Pop off door panel and check speaker for damage. Could also be something loose.

Ya I’m thinking the speaker is damaged possibly. The music that was on today it sounded fine. If it’s a deep bass song then it has some weird noises from it. Leads me to believe it could be torn?
They are stock so good chance. I’ll take a peek when I can. thanks !

Could be torn at the surround or torn at the coil. If you don't see anything wrong and want to do extra work (instead of just buying new speakers) you could swap the left speaker and the right.

There is a smaller chance you have something else wrong like the wire in the door hinge loom is almost frayed apart and creating a large resistance to higher wattage /bass notes, or the connector to the speaker is corroded. There's an even smaller chance that the stereo has a channel getting weak.

In any event if you like a lot of sound with bass, it is probably time to replace ~18y/o speakers.

Back