• Register Today It's free!

Bad gas mileage

Christina523

Reaction score
City, State
Morristown, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer SportTrac
Could someone shed some light on this for me? My 2001 sport trac is getting bad gas mileage and I really need to figure out why and how to fix it....Please if you know anything let me know!! I will listen to what you have to say about my problem!! Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What is “horrible” gas mileage? Can you be more specific?

I average around 18 in my 02 all I've done is clean the MAF and add a K&N air filter and remove the silencer from the air box which on mine had no effect on sound Id look at your filter first and see if it needs to be replaced

First things first, with diagnosing OBD II vehicles is the necessity of some type of code reader/scanner that will not only give trouble codes current and stored (if the MIL is on), but also display live sensor data as the engine is running, and even a data logger for those intermittent problems, and drive-ability problems.

What is your miles per gallon?

What is your tire pressure?

What is your miles per gallon?

What is your tire pressure?
I'm not really sure but I will go check right now....I do know that my tires aren't low or anything but I will go check right now.

I'm not really sure but I will go check right now....I do know that my tires aren't low or anything but I will go check right now.

I'll ask the 3rd time.

What is your current gas mileage? Might not be a problem at all if it is over 15MPG city-highway combined

First things first, with diagnosing OBD II vehicles is the necessity of some type of code reader/scanner that will not only give trouble codes current and stored (if the MIL is on), but also display live sensor data as the engine is running, and even a data logger for those intermittent problems, and drive-ability problems.

Ok so is this what your talking about?

15713375546062769169608606748936.jpg

I'll ask the 3rd time.

What is your current gas mileage? Might not be a problem at all if it is over 15MPG city-highway combined

Oh it's nothing close to 15mpg......Back in end of July first of Aug the gas mileage was great and that was with me running my air conditioning full blast the whole time I was in my truck! But now I put $20 in it and its below a half a tank and I drive 5 mins from my house to Walmart and the 5 mins back home and its below a quarter of a tank with my gas light on!! So yeah there is something going on just dont know what it is yet

I'll ask the 3rd time.

IM SORRY IVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GO OUT AND LOOK TO SEE WHAT MY MPG IS... BUT AS SOON AS I GET A SECOND I WILL GO OUT AND I WILL TELL YOU WHAT MY MPG IS OK

I average around 18 in my 02 all I've done is clean the MAF and add a K&N air filter and remove the silencer from the air box which on mine had no effect on sound Id look at your filter first and see if it needs to be replaced

Ok I will do that here in just a little bit and I will let you know If it helps or stays the same!! Thank you

If parking on an uphill incline, the fuel gauge will read lower than it really is. example, just over 1/4 tank read when level will read under 1/4 parked uphill. Could this be the cause?

edit. The rear brakes could be dragging? does your truck feel as peppy as it always has? Try coasting in neutral for a while if possible. does the truck seems to coast well or does it feel like brakes are slowing it down?

You can't estimate your actual fuel MPG by using your fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is an approximation based on the vehicle sitting on level ground. Because the fuel level sender is near the rear of the tank if you park on a steep hill (nose-down) the fuel gauge can easily show a 1/4 tank less than in would if the vehicle is sitting on level ground. Conversely, if you park on a steep hill nose-up the fuel gauge can show 1/4 tank more than it would on level ground. The only way to know what your actual fuel economy is is to fill your tank, set your trip odometer to zero, drive a distance (lets say 100 miles), refill your tank and do the math (number of miles driven divided by number of gallons used = your MPG). 6 gals used in 100 miles traveled = 16.66 miles per gallon.

Your fuel economy is based on may variables. Traffic, speed, terrain, tire pressure, load, your vehicles gear ratio, engine state of tune, mechanical condition, even the wind. My V6 2WD '01 Spor Trac with 4:10 gears gets around 17 MPG average, but this can vary to be between 14-20 MPG depending on conditions.

Again, what is your actual MPG? The Explorer Sport Trac is not a very fuel efficient vehicle. If you're expecting to see more that 17 'ish MPG average, you probably will not. Frankly my V8 Explorers typically get better fuel economy than my V6 ST. Oh, and 4x4's get worse mileage than the 2WD's because the 4x4's are heavier.

You stating that you put in $20 and that gave you 1/2 tank is meaningless w/out knowing how much fuel was in the tank before you bought gas and how much per gallon gas cost when you bought the gas.

I don't know if this is good mileage or not however in my 5.0 powered '97 with 260K miles I am getting about 15 mpg and when I am able I need to finish changing the plugs and wires.

You can't estimate your actual fuel MPG by using your fuel gauge. The fuel gauge is an approximation based on the vehicle sitting on level ground. Because the fuel level sender is near the rear of the tank if you park on a steep hill (nose-down) the fuel gauge can easily show a 1/4 tank less than in would if the vehicle is sitting on level ground. Conversely, if you park on a steep hill nose-up the fuel gauge can show 1/4 tank more than it would on level ground. The only way to know what your actual fuel economy is is to fill your tank, set your trip odometer to zero, drive a distance (lets say 100 miles), refill your tank and do the math (number of miles driven divided by number of gallons used = your MPG). 6 gals used in 100 miles traveled = 16.66 miles per gallon.

Your fuel economy is based on may variables. Traffic, speed, terrain, tire pressure, load, your vehicles gear ratio, engine state of tune, mechanical condition, even the wind. My V6 2WD '01 Spor Trac with 4:10 gears gets around 17 MPG average, but this can vary to be between 14-20 MPG depending on conditions.

Again, what is your actual MPG? The Explorer Sport Trac is not a very fuel efficient vehicle. If you're expecting to see more that 17 'ish MPG average, you probably will not. Frankly my V8 Explorers typically get better fuel economy than my V6 ST. Oh, and 4x4's get worse mileage than the 2WD's because the 4x4's are heavier.

You stating that you put in $20 and that gave you 1/2 tank is meaningless w/out knowing how much fuel was in the tank before you bought gas and how much per gallon gas cost when you bought the gas.
Thank you and I will let you know when I figure out what my actual MPG is

Thank you and I will let you know when I figure out what my actual MPG is

Good. By the way, if you let your vehicle warm up before driving it you're wasting money and severely negatively effecting your fuel economy, because anytime your vehicle is running but not moving you're getting zero miles per gallon.

For example - My daughter had a 2000 Mountaineer V8 AWD and always complained that it got poor fuel economy. When I drove it I got about 20-21 MPG highway and around 15 MPG locally (an average MPG of around 17 MPG) I would consider this MPG excellent for her particular vehicle. When my daughter drove the same vehicle she reported she only got around 13 MPG. Why the 4 MPG difference? She lived in congested area with lots of traffic. She let her vehicle warm up in the morning before driving. She often ate at fast food restaurants where she would wait in the drive-thru lines to get her food and she tends to have a "lead foot".

Could someone shed some light on this for me? My 2001 sport trac is getting bad gas mileage and I really need to figure out why and how to fix it....Please if you know anything let me know!! I will listen to what you have to say about my problem!! Thank you

Sometimes it's the O2 Sensors. Can you get the codes run?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

18. I'd love to get 18. I average 12 in my mountaineer. 13 in 2010 explorer

Back