2020 reviews are starting to roll in | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2020 reviews are starting to roll in

Then there is the Gold Standard, MotorWeek;

I like Alex on Autos reviews, he is the most MotorWeek no BS like IMO.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ST model is not even compared anymore to any other front wheel brand SUV. They are faster then non M BMW or V8. I agree with this.

Ford built an American X5.

I saw a comparison report of the Explorer and the Aviator the other day. They didn't like how the Aviator shifted particularly when the electric motor was added. The Explorer was not a hybrid but they said the transmission was great, shifts being so smooth it was sometimes hard to tell when it was done. The other thing they didn't like was the brakes on the Aviator, said they felt "spongy" compared to the Explorer.

This corresponds to earlier reports I'd seen about the factory having transmission troubles with the Aviator hybrid. I've also seen reports that they'd been having issues with the front brakes.

So, it will be interesting when they (the car press) get their hands on a Hybrid Explorer to test, I suspect it will have the same issues they noted on the Aviator Hybrid.

JMHO.

2020 Ford Explorer vs. 2020 Kia Telluride: Can Korean Newcomer Compete?

Say what you will about Kia in general but the points made in this comparo are pretty on point. Had the opportunity to see one up close and was impressed by the Telluride. I love the looks of my ST but the Telluride seemed to have a fit and finish that was much higher, especially interior. The interior of my ST is like something out of the $30-40k price range, not $60k. Reminds me of my old WRX--pretty cheap interior with some sporty tidbits added.

Say what you will about Kia in general but the points made in this comparo are pretty on point. Had the opportunity to see one up close and was impressed by the Telluride. I love the looks of my ST but the Telluride seemed to have a fit and finish that was much higher, especially interior. The interior of my ST is like something out of the $30-40k price range, not $60k. Reminds me of my old WRX--pretty cheap interior with some sporty tidbits added.

I know the Telluride was built in Georgia, I remember back around 2004 or 05 when ford had two plants making the Taurus, Chicago and Atlanta Georgia. The Taurus Georgia plant won many quality awards however ford decided to shut it down and kept Chicago going, maybe the new explorer wouldn't of had so many quality issues if it was assembled in Georgia or Louisville Kentucky like the older explorers. Seems like Chicago doesn't care about quality.

That was probably my biggest disappointment with the redesign - I love my '19 but I understand its interior was first released almost 10 years ago. I think it holds up really well as far as material quality compared to some other top of the line in its class (Platinum trim only). I expected there to be a bigger leap in look/fit/finish/style from '19 to '20 if only because Hyundai/Kia have really made an effort there. I had a previous version Santa Fe Sport that was a great value but nothing fancy. Looking at the current Santa Fe and Telluride/Palisade vs. the previous generation you would never guess they slotted in the same place in the lineup.

That was probably my biggest disappointment with the redesign - I love my '19 but I understand its interior was first released almost 10 years ago. I think it holds up really well as far as material quality compared to some other top of the line in its class (Platinum trim only). I expected there to be a bigger leap in look/fit/finish/style from '19 to '20 if only because Hyundai/Kia have really made an effort there. I had a previous version Santa Fe Sport that was a great value but nothing fancy. Looking at the current Santa Fe and Telluride/Palisade vs. the previous generation you would never guess they slotted in the same place in the lineup.
Exactly....not much of an improvement, and in certain places retrograde.

Exactly....not much of an ie. mprovement, and in certain places retrograde.

That's an interesting analysis. You must have driven your ST (Edit Platinum) for many miles to give it such a negative evaluation. I have driven mine for only 1.5K miles and I think that it is a beast with a good looking exterior. It sounds awesome and the rear wheel drive in turning corners is so much smoother.

I hope they will find the issue with our ABS or suspension issue soon so that we can all be happy.

That's an interesting analysis. You must have driven your ST (Edit Platinum) for many miles to give it such a negative evaluation. I have driven mine for only 1.5K miles and I think that it is a beast with a good looking exterior. It sounds awesome and the rear wheel drive in turning corners is so much smoother.

I hope they will find the issue with our ABS or suspension issue soon so that we can all be happy.
I am actually looking past the glitz and glamour and really analyzing just exactly what I got for my money. Problem for me is this....my 2018 F150 Diesel Platinum I guess is the quality standard by which I am making this comparison, and this explorer, as an UPSCALE family car better be better by far over that damn pickup truck....but the reality is....well its not. Not anywhere close. I understand we are talking two different vehicles, but even so...this F150 beats the pants off that Explorer regarding the fit, finish and use of upgraded materials. This is why I say...they could and should have done much better for the price paid. But they didn't and totally missed the mark as I am sorry to say. I wont paint this any other way other than they cheapened the living crap out of this vehicle...and it shows, plain and simple.

And that is the shame of it all...right there.

I am actually looking past the glitz and glamour and really analyzing just exactly what I got for my money. Problem for me is this....my 2018 F150 Diesel Platinum I guess is the quality standard by which I am making this comparison, and this explorer, as an UPSCALE family car better be better by far over that damn pickup truck....but the reality is....well its not. Not anywhere close. I understand we are talking two different vehicles, but even so...this F150 beats the pants off that Explorer regarding the fit, finish and use of upgraded materials. This is why I say...they could and should have done much better for the price paid. But they didn't and totally missed the mark as I am sorry to say. I wont paint this any other way other than they cheapened the living crap out of this vehicle...and it shows, plain and simple.

upgraded materials is not why you buy an ST. You buy it for power, rear wheel drive. ST is almost not comparable to any other SUV's because most of them are based on front wheel drive.

And that is the shame of it all...right there.

If you are going to compare your f150 Platinum to the Explorer than you should be comparing it to the Explorer Platinum, not the ST. The ST is designed specifically for sport and fun, not luxury.

I have a f350 Platinum and I would never compare it to the ST.

upgraded materials is not why you buy an ST. You buy it for power, rear wheel drive. ST is almost not comparable to any other SUV's because most of them are based on front wheel drive.
Yah...well that's why we bought the "PLATINUM"!

To be crystal clear, I have a 2018 F150 3.0L Diesel Platinum and a 2020 Explorer Platinum. No idea where anyone got the ST from in my posts.....

Yah...well that's why we bought the "PLATINUM"!

To be crystal clear, I have a 2018 F150 3.0L Diesel Platinum and a 2020 Explorer Platinum. No idea where anyone got the ST from in my posts.....

You are right and even I assumed you had an ST. I think because majority of the posts on here are about the ST so I ASSumed. My bad on that one.

I like the hybrid plus its normally aspirated and if its anything like the Fusion Hybrid warranty "unique hybrid components" which should include the transmission would be covered under a 8yr 100000 mile warranty. If I could afford one that is definitely the explorer i would want.
You are correct. I just checked and confirmed it in the 2020 Ford Hybrid and Electric Vehicle Warranty Guide.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Doesn't matter if it's ST, Platinum or base--the interior is low rent! Unless you are completely blinded by the powertrain, it is easy to be at least a little disappointed by just about everything else. I see the term "half baked" used in reviews and it is fitting.

Back