ST Aftermarket Exhaust Systems thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

ST Aftermarket Exhaust Systems thread

dstewart51

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Hughes, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Callsign
KJ7E
Place to post info and photos of aftermarket exhaust systems for the 2020+ ST.

Borla (waiting for this one myself);
2020 Ford Explorer Exhaust Systems

Kinney's Street Demon Performance Exhaust;
HOME

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Im glad to see companies starting to work on parts for the ST but those tips will be black with soot in no time. The stock exhaust on the ST was well designed and not very restrictive.

So after going to the Borla page a few times, I figured I'd google what the ATAK muffler system is... now I know the 3.0v6 will sound different than a v8 but this design system really excites me on the possibility of having a deeper exhaust note.

I'm going with the S-type myself, at steady state cruse on the freeway I would like the exhaust to be subtle.

I’ve had very good luck with Magnaflow products 14 Raptor 07 Expedition. I email them about 2020 ST system. No development at this time due to demand. If we ask enough maybe they will ;)

I’ve had very good luck with Magnaflow products 14 Raptor 07 Expedition. I email them about 2020 ST system. No development at this time due to demand. If we ask enough maybe they will ;)

Lol, 40k a year of STs.. there will be plenty of demand. Guess they will be late to the party and miss a ton of sales.

I had a magnaflow cat back on my 2l ecobost Escape, hated the low RPM drone at cruse. It was a nice system otherwise.

One of the big claims of Borla is no drone. I hope that’s true.

I had a magnaflow cat back on my 2l ecobost Escape, hated the low RPM drone at cruse. It was a nice system otherwise.

One of the big claims of Borla is no drone. I hope that’s true.

I liked that Magnaflow didn’t have drone at cruise but both my vehicles with were V8s.

I'm willing to bet the Explorer ST with a S-Type Borla will sound very close to this Edge ST;

I think the ATAK system will be similar in note, just a bit louder.

Needs to be deeper (more throaty).. not sure if that is possible or not being a V6.

Just curious as to how the ST exhaust system differs from the other trims. Is it different than the Platinum for example?

Peter

Just curious as to how the ST exhaust system differs from the other trims. Is it different than the Platinum for example?

Peter

We know the 2020 Platinum is equipped with an "Adaptive Valve" in its exhaust system. Don't know if the ST is also built that way, but I'd sure do some research before tossing the factory "Adaptive Valve" when installing a cat-back exhaust system.

It's possible the "Adaptive Valve" is required for proper performance because it affects exhaust back pressure. I'm sure the engineers considered this when tuning the 2020 engines.

i don't think the ST has adaptive exhaust. the difference in sound when you put it in sport mode is fake (piped in via the audio system)

i don't think the ST has adaptive exhaust. the difference in sound when you put it in sport mode is fake (piped in via the audio system)
Page 270 says the following about Sport mode;
For aggressive on-road driving.
This mode increases throttle
response, provides a sportier
exhaust sound and steering feel, along with
quicker shifting. The transmission holds
gears longer, helping your vehicle
accelerate faster when shifting gears.

Also, see my post here; Ride/Noise comparison 2018 Sport vs 2020 ST

Peter

Page 20:

"Unique electronic sound enhancement in Sport Selectable Drive Mode"

One thing I am disappointed about in the ST is the exhaust tone. Other than the fake engine noise through the speakers, it doesn't sound like a Ford Performance vehicle. Not sure why the used the same exhaust for the Platinum and the ST. Interesting to see if a company can make this turbo V6 sound good. I've watched some custom exhaust on older Sport models, and none sound that good, especially during acceleration.

a v6 is never going to sound like a v8, but i'm somewhat optimistic. i've heard some pretty good sounding turbo 6s (albeit in-lines) from bmw.

me too! listening on tiny headphones there isn't a huge difference between the stype and atak, but both sound more like a sportscar than a truck. need to check with better speakers, but currently leaning towards the atak...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Agree. I think that is the direction I’ll be going.

Back