Winter tires | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tires

? Shipping is free. just ordered my 18" rims with Michelin Latitude XIce2 mounted and roadforce balanced from them.

Exactly, both sites offer free shipping and will mount/balance for free.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not free to Canada :)
Did you check 1010tires.com? That is a Canadian company. Unless you specify the area of your location or any other way (flag), people are going to continue to assume you are in the U.S.

Peter

I just picked up my new ST last Saturday with the black 21 inch rims. I am going to try out the Kumho wintercraft snow tires on these rims, them find a rim hopefully equally as hot to put in the Pirelli Scorpions come spring.

This is the approach I took with my 2014, 2016, and 2018 Explorer sports as well, where i would put the winter tires on the stock rims, then would run 2 Crave no 14s in the factory rubber come summer. Makes for a quick switch each season.

I was hoping to perhaps be able to use the 2 craves as my winter rims going forward, but indeed was told they would not fit the 2020. Oh well will sell them and the summer tires to fund the next set of custom rims.

I just picked up my new ST last Saturday with the black 21 inch rims. I am going to try out the Kumho wintercraft snow tires on these rims, them find a rim hopefully equally as hot to put in the Pirelli Scorpions come spring.

This is the approach I took with my 2014, 2016, and 2018 Explorer sports as well, where i would put the winter tires on the stock rims, then would run 2 Crave no 14s in the factory rubber come summer. Makes for a quick switch each season.

I was hoping to perhaps be able to use the 2 craves as my winter rims going forward, but indeed was told they would not fit the 2020. Oh well will sell them and the summer tires to fund the next set of custom rims.

What is a Sportpack?

Welcome to the Forum Rapid Red.:wave:
There actually isn't a Sportpack trim. Perhaps you are referring to the Street Pack and Track Pack options.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum Rapid Red.:wave:
There actually isn't a Sportpack trim. Perhaps you are referring to the Street Pack and Track Pack options.

Peter
Thanks Peter for the welcome. You are correct it is the Street Pack. Can anyone tell me how to fix this gaffe in my profile. I’m such a noob.

Thanks Peter for the welcome. You are correct it is the Street Pack. Can anyone tell me how to fix this gaffe in my profile. I’m such a noob.
PM sent.

This is an interesting test.

This is an interesting test.

Thanks for that. I was already planning on going with Cooper snows so this just reaffirms my decision.

Has anyone tried to fit an 18" rim on the ST with the Street pack? Still waiting for the dealer to get an 18" rim in but so far it sounds like an 18 won't clear the callipers. Won't know for sure until someone tests an 18.

Has anyone tried to fit an 18" rim on the ST with the Street pack? Still waiting for the dealer to get an 18" rim in but so far it sounds like an 18 won't clear the callipers. Won't know for sure until someone tests an 18.

18s will fit, the PIU uses 18s with essentially the same size brake package as the Street/Track.

Tirerack says 8x114.3 will fit with 40 off set but stated to me that it is possible you may get a little rubbing inside at full turn.

Discounttiredirect states we should use a 8.5x114.3 with a 13 or so offset.

18s will fit, it is the offset they we are not 100% sure on yet. We dont know what the offset is of the 2020 PIU 18s.

When discussing 8x114.3 with 40 offset (many more black rim options and tires) they said to measure full turn and as long as we have a 1/2" clearance, we would be good with the 40 offset.

Didn't you mention that the 18" wheels used on the 5th gen could not be used on the 2020 Explorer?

Peter

Didn't you mention that the 18" wheels used on the 5th gen could not be used on the 2020 Explorer?

Peter

According to the spec sheet I saw at Ford, the centre bore is a different size. 2011-2019 has a 63.3 hub. 2020 has a 70.5, probably could use a hub centric ring. Stud sizes are different as well.
They all changed the part number for the steel rims. 2011-2019 part # DG1Z 1015 A. 2020 part # LB5Z 1015 B

Yup. My winter set from Tirerack has hubcentric rings for 70.5 center bore. Most rims for previous Explorers won't fit unless you have aftermarket rims with a large center bore and can get hubcentric rings for it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

According to the spec sheet I saw at Ford, the centre bore is a different size. 2011-2019 has a 63.3 hub. 2020 has a 70.5, probably could use a hub centric ring. Stud sizes are different as well.
They all changed the part number for the steel rims. 2011-2019 part # DG1Z 1015 A. 2020 part # LB5Z 1015 B
Okay, thanks. I guess it was your post that I saw earlier. I guess I'll be looking to sell my wheels then unless they fit the Nautilus or Avaitor which are also on my list fore next year.

Peter

Back