Gas Additive for Ford Explorer Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas Additive for Ford Explorer Sport

dimatrixxx

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer Sport 2017
Hey guys, do you use any fuel additives against water in your Explorer Sport?
What about STP Water Remover, should I use it? I do not have any problems with water until yet, but maybe I should use it in order not have them in the future? My Explorer now is over 2 yers old and over 50 thousand miles....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have never in 55 years of driving used any such product and have never encountered any issues related to water in the tank. Chances of it happening can be probably be minimized by using top tier gasoline and avoiding running around on a regular basis on a near-empty fuel tank, especially in colder weather.

Peter

Unless you have some special "event" that causes a large amount of water to get in the tank at once (bad gas, saboteurs using a hose, etc ;) ), all you need to do to combat slow water vapor accumulation is run E10 fuel every now and then (if not always, E10 is all that is reasonably available/affordable here). The ethanol gets the water out of the tank.

I only use top tier gas in my Sport - TOP TIER™ Gasoline Brands

Since our fuel injection is single port (not multi port) the engine is prone to carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves. To help prevent this buildup I add a bottle of techron every 1000 miles.

Water can form in your tank by condensation, like when the ambient temperature drops quickly. If your car will be outside during weather temperature swings, its recommended to keep the gas tank full so that condensation can not form on the inside of the tank.

One way to get rid of water in your gas tank is to put some denatured alcohol in the tank. It's cheap and easy to get. But what was said above, keep your tank full as possible helps keep the water down with less air in the tank.

One way to get rid of water in your gas tank is to put some denatured alcohol in the tank. It's cheap and easy to get. But what was said above, keep your tank full as possible helps keep the water down with less air in the tank.
I was gonna say the same

Where I grew up in NY in the winter water will end up in your tank just how it is

1 bottle of dry gas =$1

Since our fuel injection is single port (not multi port) the engine is prone to carbon deposit buildup on the intake valves. To help prevent this buildup I add a bottle of techron every 1000 miles.
I'm apologize in advance, but this is absolutely incorrect info. Your engine is direct injection, not single port injection. Fuel additives do nothing to prevent carbon buildup on the valves.

As far as condensation in the tank, there are some folks that do not believe that is the case due to the volume of air in the tank and the way the fuel systems on newer vehicles work. Those folks are smarter than I and I will leave it to you guys and gals here to do your own research if you wish. Anyway, the leading cause of water in fuel tanks is contaminated fuel.

Back