• Register Today It's free!

2005 Sport Trac Project

StotsFam03

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer ST XLT
In the past couple of weeks we became the new owners of a ’05 Sport Trac XLT 2wd with a K code VIN. We had been looking for a truck for Home Depot runs and general hauling. We had been talking with the previous owners about buying the truck when they thought it was still running, but when they went to start it and couldn’t get it started they offered it up for $500. The body is in good shape except for a dent on the tailgate and minimal rust. Also the interior is dirty, but in fair shape. We were told the truck was a daily driver and started getting a rattle so they had the engine pulled and changed the rear timing chain as well as replacing both tensioners and new oil was put in it not too long ago. After getting the truck back from the “mechanic” (I use the term loosely because I am under the impression it was someone who had some experience with engines, but not really currently doing it at his profession. Not knocking DIYers, because that is what we are, but if you are going to charge someone to do a job, it should be done right), they could only get it to turn over, not to stay started and thought the front chain needed replaced as well and didn’t want to spend the time or money to fix it. We took a chance. We decided that it would be a good opportunity for some Father/Son bonding time and it would be a good first truck for him if we could get it running (he’s 14 ½ and will get is learners in 6 months). If not, we could hopefully part it out for more than we paid for it. My husband has some general car repair skills, helping his dad restore late 60’s mustangs in our teens, as well as basic maintenance and repairs on our cars (mostly Fords). With 2 teenage sons and the fact I like puzzles and don’t mind getting my hands dirty, this will definitely be a family project.

After getting the truck to our house and putting a new battery in it, it started right up, but was idling rough and wouldn’t stay started. After a good look under the hood we found a spark plug wire was loose and it had no oil. After adding oil and putting the wire back on, it started right up and though it idled rough, it stayed running. We have since changed the plugs and wires and added Techron Plus to the gas and STP High Mileage Oil Treatment+Stop Leak since there is a small oil leak that my husband thinks he has since figured out. While the idle isn’t quite as rough, there is definitely a strong gasoline odor when the truck starts and we still hear the ticking sound that we have read is likely from the tensioners or the timing chain (another reason I am doubting the mechanic they paid for the job).

We have identified several issues so far, but are trying to take them one at a time. We are getting OBD code P2196 and still have not gotten so far as to start diagnosis with that. We also noticed the EGR Pressure Feedback sensor was broken, and that part, as well as new sway bar link stabilizers that we found were worn when accessing the spark plugs from the wheel wells, should be here today. The gas gauge reduces to less than empty when the truck is started even though we’ve added 6 gallons of gas to it, so we’ve started the process of diagnosing whether it is electrical or the sending unit. We have also fixed the driver’s side window that was off the track.

While we are far from car experts, we think we are up for the challenge. This forum has been so helpful so far, especially while we have been getting our bearings with a new vehicle. I’m sure we’ll have a ton of questions as we go through this process, so we wanted to introduce ourselves. We look forward to sharing our story as we go through and are thankful for any help anyone can provide along the way.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum!
You seem to have a good handle of figuring out your trucks problems. I bought a 2001 Sport Trac about 5.5 years ago for $1000 as a non-runner. My truck has had so many problems and parts replaced (all by me) that's it's amazing. Last winter it blew a head gasket and the rear timing cassette has bee broken for a while. My engine is currently pulled and disassembled. I'm figuring on about $2000+ for engine parts a machine shop labor to get the engine sorted and while I'm figuring on another $2000 to rebuild the transmission while it's easy to pull it.

Is all the work and money worth it. IDK, probably not, but I couldn't get a newer one for the cost and who knows what I'd have to fix on that one. The SOHC 4.0L engines are known for timing chain issues and the 5R55 transmissions are on the weak side. Fortunately I'm capable of doing perhaps 90% of the labor and the parts cost what they cost. It certainly keeps me busy.

My truck is totally rust free and is now in better than average condition at this point. By the time I'm done with my truck it should be like new and good for at least another 200,000 miles.

Here's a pic of my POS Sport Trac...
4zbVjMB.jpg

Koda. I "think" you told me that you had refinished your grey colored lower plastic pieces with paint. Did you do a write up about that? I've been using Rust-Oleum "WIPE NEW" on the exterior plastic which lasts for a year or so but I'm "thinking" of doing something else.
ptf18

Koda. I "think" you told me that you had refinished your grey colored lower plastic pieces with paint. Did you do a write up about that? I've been using Rust-Oleum "WIPE NEW" on the exterior plastic which lasts for a year or so but I'm "thinking" of doing something else.
ptf18

No, I've never done a write up on painting the grey plastic. I washed/scrubbed the plastic down with Purple Power several times. When the plastic was good and dry I masked the painted body parts off. I first sprayed the grey plastic parts with adhesion promoter and then with flexible grey bumper paint. I believe both products were made by Dupont. They've looked good for years now.

I would like to hear or see a video of her truck running

These engines make noise
the noise she is hearing may be normal

Back