2.3L guys. What have you done to yours? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2.3L guys. What have you done to yours?

ThoR294

Reaction score
City, State
Flemington,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 XLT 4WD
Wife and I needed an SUV, and we got a great deal on a fully loaded 16 XLT with the 2.3L EB engine. The extra torque and fuel economy seemed like a nice bonus, as this is going to be our family trip car, and sometimes my commuter to work.

Anyway, I cannot seem to find much for the 2.3L besides a K&N intake, and some catbacks (magnaflow sounds good to me). I can find a lot of stuff for the same exact engine in the mustang. Does anything for the mustang fit ours? I was thinking about doing an AOS/Catch Can to decrease oil buildup on valves due to DI, but again, only see it for the mustang. Intercooler same thing, nothing for us.

I like to do small bolt ons to my daily drivers, nothing seriously invasive. My process was K&N, catback, AOS/Catch, intercooler, then tune once it's all done.

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Several members have mentioned that unless you plan to add a 'tune' that getting the K&N is practically a waste of money. I don't have either so have not personal experience.
Which drop in air filter is best for the Explorer
Cold Air Intake (CAI) Discussion
Good luck.

Peter

thanks! Tune is definitely planned so the K&N should help. It looks like JLT wants a 2.3l explorer to test with so they can develop some things.

"
Brandon,

We’re interested in them ALL. We’re really looking for the new 3.0 also, feel free to share that.

Free parts for anyone who lets us borrow the truck for the day

Thanks!

cleardot.gif

Vinny Conte

JLT Performance

757-335-1940 x107

1008 Executive Blvd

Chesapeake, VA 23320

www.JLTtruecoldair.com

www.facebook.com/JLTPerformance
"

I installed a k&n so far. Ordered a catch can from JLT and an ngauge tuner plus some tunes from 5 star tuning.

JLT catch can will be a trial run to see how it fits. It's going to mount on my battery hold down.

Hello and Happy New Year!

Does anyone have any experience installing an oil catch can on the 2.3 ecoboost? Any recommendations on brand? Thanks.

I installed a k&n so far. Ordered a catch can from JLT and an ngauge tuner plus some tunes from 5 star tuning.

JLT catch can will be a trial run to see how it fits. It's going to mount on my battery hold down.
Any update or pictures on how the installation went?

Peter

Copy paste from the what did you do to your explorer thread

K&N and JLT Catch Can:
Ycel00ph.jpg

ngDfHXjh.jpg

DMYrPKyh.jpg

Found some yucky while I was installing the catch can. fun...:
D1Ko4sZh.jpg

zCSS1sAh.jpg

Those were cylinders 2 and 3, the dirtiest.

Install was very similar to the focus RS. Hardest part was getting the hose off of the engine side. I had to cut mine lol

Hello and Happy New Year!

Does anyone have any experience installing an oil catch can on the 2.3 ecoboost? Any recommendations on brand? Thanks.
Your thread was moved here.

3500 miles
32Q7Vkyl.jpg

rYDINB3l.jpg
You wouldn't happen to have a link to this catch can or point me in the right direction. I want to make sure to get this exact one. Everything I'm seeing for explorers on the site look to have a different mounting bracket.

You wouldn't happen to have a link to this catch can or point me in the right direction. I want to make sure to get this exact one. Everything I'm seeing for explorers on the site look to have a different mounting bracket.
Just email jlt they will hook you up that's what I did

Just email jlt they will hook you up that's what I did
I got a reply from jlt saying they didn't have anything for my '16 Explorer they only had 2020 and up for the 2.3l so that didn't go very well. Guess I'm out of luck on that one. I will continue the search. Thanks.

I got a reply from jlt saying they didn't have anything for my '16 Explorer they only had 2020 and up for the 2.3l so that didn't go very well. Guess I'm out of luck on that one. I will continue the search. Thanks.
That's BS. Lol tell them you sold a kit to someone and they just had to cut the hoses to fit and it mounted to battery tie down

Copy paste from the what did you do to your explorer thread

K&N and JLT Catch Can:
Ycel00ph.jpg

ngDfHXjh.jpg

DMYrPKyh.jpg

Found some yucky while I was installing the catch can. fun...:
D1Ko4sZh.jpg

zCSS1sAh.jpg

Those were cylinders 2 and 3, the dirtiest.

Install was very similar to the focus RS. Hardest part was getting the hose off of the engine side. I had to cut mine lol
I am catching pure hell trying to find a cold air intake for my 2018 2.3L EB engine. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unless you are planning on also adding a tune, a CAI isn't going to be of much use as has been discussed many times.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Unless you are planning on also adding a tune, a CAI isn't going to be of much use as has been discussed many times.

Peter
A tune is on my to-do list.

I am catching pure hell trying to find a cold air intake for my 2018 2.3L EB engine. Any suggestions?
The K&N was great. It made all the noises I wanted :) and a tune is a must... it woke up my 2.3 greatly, but fine a custom tune not a shelf tune

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The K&N was great. It made all the noises I wanted :) and a tune is a must... it woke up my 2.3 greatly, but fine a custom tune not a shelf tune

My problem is when I look at the K&N site and do a search for the 2018 2.3L engine, no Cold-Air Intakes come up. Will a intake for a previous model year, such as the one posted in this thread, be able to be put on mine?

Back