The Ultimate, Multi-Function No loss Cargo Storage System! (lame) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Ultimate, Multi-Function No loss Cargo Storage System! (lame)

FR-425

Used to be a road here.
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
Normal Position:

IMG_20140202_155546_zps2b94d5c3.jpg

Drawer extended (300lb of tools in there! :thumbsup:) Deep enough to carry a car battery.

IMG_20140202_155603_zps636a297c.jpg

Rolled forward for cargo deck access! :D
(this was the goal for this project) :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Not to loose the ability to stuff a washing machine (full size spare, whatever) in there without removal of the drawer from the vehicle... ..... even with cargo on the shelf! :eek:

IMG_20140202_155731_zps81fe2a0f.jpg

As the shelf is free floating some safety straps and pins to hold snug. Testing note: the aluminum " stiffening" needs to be upgraded to steel.

IMG_20140202_155624_zpsf1e3e899.jpg

Access to the trail recovery essentials. Tow strap and jumpers right here. :thumbsup:

IMG_20140202_155647_zpsb456771c.jpg

Access to side boxes when rolled forward (lid can be lifted/removed when retracted as long as no cargo is on shelf) (does not interfere with sub woofer):smoke:

IMG_20140202_155740_zpsd1c8a287.jpg

Still have access to jack storage: :thumbsup:

IMG_20140202_155745_zps53e8b0e7.jpg

Just a plastic glide on front edge to slip over the seat backs. (Simple)

IMG_20140202_155757_zps5a9e1313.jpg

This Thing was fully loaded with camping gear on the shelf and all my tools plus trail spares (spare locking hubs, u-joints, oil, wheel bearings, etc.) on this years TruckHaven run, abused thoroughly and ZERO damage resulted..Tested tough! :hammer:

Really adds to the trail versatility of my Ex. :thumbsup:

Other niceties: :)

Total weight 75lb.

Only attachment is at the factory cargo tie down weld nuts. 8 bolts! and it's out. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Side support is provided by "L" and "T" brackets with rubber bumpers to protect the side panels.

When this thing is removed there is no evidence left behind. Back to factory original. No drilling/cutting. You don't even have to cut the carpet to install! Resale bonus! :D :thumbsup:

Material list and assembly "How to" to come!

Not exactly cheap $400.00 at least. The rollers are $4.20 each and there are 24 of them! 24 x $4.20 = $100.80
Original design had 18 - Not enough.

3/4 hard wood ply $80
1/2 hard wood ply $65

Carpet, glue, bolts, nuts, square tubing, patio door latch, truck straps, yata yata. lost track, at least $200 more. You can make some improvement here; I use all stainless (mistake) to soft and to expensive. which added to my cost. Had to redo with grade 5 stuff.

Be prepared to spend $400.00 to be realistic. :(

Enjoy! :salute:

Love this truck! .. .. FIRST GENS RULE! :exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Awesome, I like it. I've been thinking about building something like this.
Looking forward to the How-to

That's awesome how it slides forward :salute: wish I would have thought of that when I built mine

I can tell a lot of thought went into it! Very cool!

Haven't forgotten about post'n more info,

just busy with the steering shaft mod and work and laundry and taxes and stuff and things.

Next week when I install the steering shaft I'll have the camera out so I'll get some more pics of the storage contraption.

Looks awesome!

Back