New Speakers

Craigerz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Fort Worth, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 4x4
Have my door panels off and was just curious if putting new aftermarket speakers alone would make any huge difference. Everything's stock and would not be replacing anything but the door speakers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the originals have dry rotted or torn surrounds, or humidity has warped the cone, then definitely yes, a "decent" midrange quality speaker replacement should sound better.

If they are still in good shape but you have good ears and/or are picky about sound quality, then again yes it will sound better.

If you're instead looking for more volume before distortion, you'll need a new head unit or amp, and new speakers too.

Due to the location of the door speakers, if you want more, directional treble then you're going to need satellite tweeters up higher.

Its more for just something to listen to. There's no carpet or mat or sound deadener, mixed with headers and exhaust anything of quality sound would be drowned out anyways I believe. It would be more for listening at the river or out in the field working not driving anywhere.

I'll look when I get home to see if I can see anything torn or rotten.

Listening at the river/etc, not driving, you'd be best off putting an amp and speaker (not just sub, midranges and tweeters too) box in the back, pointing out the rear... if there's room for one.

New, better speakers are on my list for upgrades. The originals are (I believe) paper with "whizzer cones". After 20 years of heat, humidity, hard use etc. the paper has got to be tired and worn. So I'll just upgrade to better aftermarket poly speakers of equivalent size.

Get a 4 channel amp and wire it to the doors and add some tweeters to the a pillar and you will achieve what you want. I'll take pixa of my setup tomorrow and give you and idea

20191006_190244.jpg

I opened my doors and turned it up and could hear word for word my music fairly far away with just regular aftermarket speakers tweeters and a 4 channel

View attachment 175025

I opened my doors and turned it up and could hear word for word my music fairly far away with just regular aftermarket speakers tweeters and a 4 channel

Thanks. That might be an option down the road but my to do list is too long for any of that at the moment. The body is getting sanded and primed right now to be Raptor lined, I'm still welding up the bumper from RockRanger and getting it painted and in the middle of all of this the drivers door latch finally broke.

Way off topic but...
The bumper from rockranger, did it come with complete Ikea type and instructions (Weld this to this, then this to this.. Etc)?

Way off topic but...
The bumper from rockranger, did it come with complete Ikea type and instructions (Weld this to this, then this to this.. Etc)?

Not exactly. He emailed me some files. It was a little intimidating at first but after it was all laid out and stared at if for a few beers it started to make sense. The good thing is it’s symmetrical so you only have to figure out one side!!

He did cut notches I guess you would call them, so they line up so it is easy to tell where something doesn't belong.

CEBD273C-0F33-4F64-BF63-4E2222AF81FD.jpeg

E96D96AA-FE75-4C8A-8C02-BC0FAACD6D0A.jpeg

00312CB8-6203-419F-BD53-85F95C63466C.jpeg

Thanks, I'll have to pick one up early next year.

I've found that the stock speakers are surprisingly decent and I did not notice any improvement going to a three-way Sony speaker. Of course, if the cone or surround are ripped than all bets are off.

X speaker replacements are CHEAP, & an easy DIY. See no reason to not put any in.

Even if the foam is ripped, they have refoaming kits that are both super cheap and easy to do.

I've refoamed a stock Tahoe subwoofer (and a Fiero subwoofer, a miniscule 5" thing) and the results were great.

I think the Explorer's system uses standard 4 ohm drivers but some vehicles (like the Tahoe) use speakers with a different resistance, so the system won't sound right with standard aftermarket equipment.

Back