Looking for a lower steering shaft. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Looking for a lower steering shaft.

poker4me007

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Western Ma.
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport 4wd 4.0 ohv 5spd
Does anyone know if a lower steering shaft from a 99 explorer would fit the 97 in my sig.?They have two 99 explorers at the bone yard near me, i'd have to go out there and take them off.The joint on mine is getting sloppy and needs to be replaced. Thank's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never mind looks like only a 95-97 are the same.

@poker4me007

Just sayin' - it looks like - from the diagram, that the LOWER SHAFT (part #2) is the same for all of the Ex's. I suppose you could supply them (e-mail for argumentation) with your VIN to know for sure/guaranteed return if you run into problems.

It seems that the difference is the UPPER SHAFT (Part 1) which sold seperately & is differentiated by "Has Tilt Wheel" and "Doesn't Have Tilt Wheel"

Of course, they (TASCA) are out of the upper shaft for "Has Tilt Wheel"

NOTE(S): THERE ARE TWO SHAFTS IN THE DIAGRAM THAT ARE MARKED #1 = the one in the cabin and the one in the engine compartment that mates to the lower shaft...

Also from the diagram notes, it appears that the Upper Shaft for an Ex that HAS TILT WHEEL also has a U-Joint. In my book, this would also be another part that wears out/loses grease over time. Not as much as the LOWER which when the boot gets torn is exposed to the elements, BUT, well, you know, if you're going to "do it" - might as well replace BOTH shafts = upper & lower.

Heck - Do you need a lower & intermediate shaft to make a complete engine compartment assembly - or am I confusing myself!

Wondering out loud if Flaming River's solution (mentioned/linked in Turdle's Link "loose steering" ) is the best way to go - price wise and overall durability due to it's greasable - again - just sayin' ...

The ball joint on the bottom of the lower shaft that hooks to the rack & pinion, is what wears out mostly. There is no alterations needed, and it is a simple direct swap.

I got a good metal lower from the salvage yard for $5. I got a complete steering wheel assembly (wheel, tilt column and intermediate shaft) for $20 in mint condition as well.

The ball joint on the bottom of the lower shaft that hooks to the rack & pinion, is what wears out mostly. There is no alterations needed, and it is a simple direct swap.

I got a good metal lower from the salvage yard for $5. I got a complete steering wheel assembly (wheel, tilt column and intermediate shaft) for $20 in mint condition as well.

I've been calling all around this afternoon and can't find one in my area. Would you be willing to sell me your's or steer me in the right direction to find and purchase one. Thank's

@poker4me007

Just sayin' - it looks like - from the diagram, that the LOWER SHAFT (part #2) is the same for all of the Ex's. I suppose you could supply them (e-mail for argumentation) with your VIN to know for sure/guaranteed return if you run into problems.

It seems that the difference is the UPPER SHAFT (Part 1) which sold seperately & is differentiated by "Has Tilt Wheel" and "Doesn't Have Tilt Wheel"

Of course, they (TASCA) are out of the upper shaft for "Has Tilt Wheel"

NOTE(S): THERE ARE TWO SHAFTS IN THE DIAGRAM THAT ARE MARKED #1 = the one in the cabin and the one in the engine compartment that mates to the lower shaft...

Also from the diagram notes, it appears that the Upper Shaft for an Ex that HAS TILT WHEEL also has a U-Joint. In my book, this would also be another part that wears out/loses grease over time. Not as much as the LOWER which when the boot gets torn is exposed to the elements, BUT, well, you know, if you're going to "do it" - might as well replace BOTH shafts = upper & lower.

Heck - Do you need a lower & intermediate shaft to make a complete engine compartment assembly - or am I confusing myself!

Wondering out loud if Flaming River's solution (mentioned/linked in Turdle's Link "loose steering" ) is the best way to go - price wise and overall durability due to it's greasable - again - just sayin' ...

Part #2 on the diagram is the one I need and for some reason the 97 and 98 are different part #s that's why I'm asking if there interchangable. I could call and ask but if I get someone who doesn't know too much, I see it all the time with Parts people behind the counter.Don't want to be stuck with a part that don't fit, plus it's not a cheap$ part. Thank's appreciate the help.

Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market

Enter the info asked, and it will find the part for you at salvage yards near you, & across the country. A lot of them ship too.

K will do Thank's
Edit:
I filled out the request form,so i'll see in the next few days if I get a response I'll let you guy's know how I make out. Thank's

I fixed mine by emptying 1/2 a can of fluid film in the universal. Depends on the damage though. I had binding. I repeat before winter.

Back